Author Topic: DG1022Z - What's the level of arbitrary waveform when waiting for a trigger?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline ivonenandTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi guys,
I'm waiting for a delivery of a Rigol DG1022Z arbitrary function generator. I'll be using it for testing surge protection capabilities of power supplies. Basically I'll hook it up as a reference for a linear power supply stage and have it generate pulses (Say 14V -> 30V for 100ms -> 14V). I'll program the waveform into the .rdf file and then trigger the generator on the external input (via a button). My question is, what will the output level of the generator be, when it will be waiting for a trigger? I need the test subjects running for a few minutes, before the surge happens so I need the output of the DG1022Z to be at a defined DC level, so that my equipment is powered on while waiting for a trigger.

Any experiences?
Regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:45:17 pm by ivonenand »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Hi Ivo,

in order to do this you select your ArbWaveform, put gen in Burst mode, select N-cycle, set cycle to one, and there will be "Idle level" setting which is what you are asking for.. Please, do yourself a favour, if you didn't already, download a manual and learn it well... These instruments are very powerful but complicated...

Also, DG1022Z has max output (at 50 Ohm) of 10V P-P.. High-Z will be more, but still no 30V... for voltages you are mentioning you would need a 2X or 3X wideband amplifier after AWG...

How fast do the edges have to be ? It seems to me that a programabile PSU like Rigol DP711 (30V/5A) or DG712 (50V/3A) would be a better fit for your purpose.. They have timer function to generate a number of voltage/current steps, and external trigger IN/OUT, and also RS232 for remote programming... They also measure output current, voltage and power...
There are plenty of these kinds of PSU from other manufacturers too..

Regards,

Sinisa

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Could you add 10 V DC offset in addition to the arbitrary signal to increase the maximum output level?

If you need more DC offset, if the output of the AWG is floating (as is the case with many Agilent/Keysight AWGs, not sure about Rigol), then you could put a DC source (e.g. power supply) in series with the output.

If it is not, then you could AC couple the output and use a resistive adder to add a DC offset (see attached LTSpice schematic). This is more complicated, and only works if you do not need a very low frequency response and the load is high impedance (a 10 MOhm DMM in this case). If the load is low impedance, then you would need some way to buffer the output.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf