Author Topic: Entry level DC analyze  (Read 2067 times)

Offline tapsaTopic starter

Entry level DC analyze
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:01:43 am »
These days more and more hobbyist make software for low power embedded boards and try keep them work with battery. So it is natural that they need also make power analysis for their devices to see when and how much that device take power. Example at my case I want know how much power and mAh my ESP8266 project take and get some kind plot of it so that I can optimize my code and circuit.
Anyhow I did not find any article of EVVblog video what concern this article.
Currently I know that I have 2 option:
a) Take oscilloscope, shunt resistor and manually calculate from record that how many mAh and mWh each period consume. It is time consuming but cheap approach to problem.
b) Make recorder from Arduino and some kind software what can draw graph and calculate totals from given time frame.

So my question is that a) what is right term for this kind analysis if I want google tools and videos for it? b) Is there helper features for this at any entry level scope? c) David, Can you make some video of that topic what give good tips and tricks? I think I am not alone with this question. At least I should not be a lone with this question :) If I am, it means that there is not enough hobbyist who care how much their diy dooms day devices and Iot gadgets hog battery.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Entry level DC analyze
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 11:18:52 am »
Last time i asked about this, the Keysight 34461A meter was suggested, as it had logging etc. Out of reach of hobbyist.
Doesnt do power, but can measure current etc.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 02:15:34 pm »
If you write remote control software for an oscilloscope or DMM you can easely write it yourself using the oscilloscope and DMM as analog frontend. Both DMM and scope have their pros and cons. An oscilloscope can catch narrower peaks but it's accuracy is around 3% and the dynamic range is limited. A DMM cannot capture narrow pulses but had a wider dynamic range and much higher accuracy.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 02:55:02 pm »
Why not build the power monitoring into the embedded project itself?  Then the code can profile its own power usage.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
Switch off the power to the main PS-cap (large one), and watch how long it takes for the voltage to drop below a certain level on the main PS-cap. If you know the size of the main cap, you can calculate the power consumed during that period. To test your code, you do not even need to calculate the power, just measure the time...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf