Author Topic: Mount network storage on Tektronix MDO3000  (Read 6552 times)

Offline xenxenTopic starter

Mount network storage on Tektronix MDO3000
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:21:56 pm »
Hey,

i try to connect the MDO3000 to my network storage server. It's a server running FreeNas. Normally I connect from a pc to the server by using \\192.168.1.3\data and type in the username and password.

Connecting the scope to a shared folder on my PC works fine by tiping in the IP-Adress and the directory like this C$\

Anyone an idea what i have to type in when i want to mount my network storage on the scope?

xenxen

Offline cyr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Mount network storage on Tektronix MDO3000
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »
Have you tried it like that except without the $ on the end?

That's a neat feature BTW...

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:41:58 pm »
Yes already tried and it's not working.

Thank You :)

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:17:31 pm »
Yes already tried and it's not working.

Thank You :)

Have you tried entering something like C$data in the path, where the "$" takes the place of the normal ":" in the drive specification?

Here's a video that Tektronix Support posted...

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 08:51:59 am »
Now it works. There were some issues with the authentication. The path is correct when i type in /data. So i created a new drive on the server with allowed guest access. And this works fine.

But i have no idea why the authentication is not workin.

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:36 am »
Hello,
I am trying to mount a network drive on a MDO3000, without success. I have a Windows XP based PC with a shared folder called C:\Test. The PC's IP Address is 192.168.1.102.  I put this in the "Server Name or IP Address" field on the MDO's Mount menu. In the "Path" field I write C$\Test. I press "OK" and after a moment, it appears "Mount failed" on the scope screen.
I´ll appreciate If someone could give me some advise of what I am doing wrong or I am missing... Thanks

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:12 am »
C$, D$ et all are 'administrative shares' which are special purpose shares and which are under certain limitations, especially under newer versions of Windows (Vista and up). It's pretty bad practive to use them for general file sharing access. They should really be left alone.

Instead of using the administrative shares, you should set up a proper share, i.e. creating a folder, setting up share and proper access privileges for an unprivileged user, and then refer to it by it's share name, i.e. \\mypc\shared_folder or \\192.168.0.1\shared_folder.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:43:54 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Andrusca

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:46:58 pm »
Hello,
Well, finally I think that I have solved the mystery about mounting a network drive. The short story is:
You can mount a network drive in the MDO only if you have logged on the computer using an username that has a password. If you try to mount the drive using any PC username that lacks a password, you will get a failure warning. On the MDO´s menu you have to enter a password. It seems that it does not considers the case where you don´t use a password with the username.
Moreover, I could only mount the drive using C$\Test. It was impossible to do the same specifying the full path including the IP Address of the PC, i.e. \\198.162.1.102\Test.
I hope someone can put some more light about these issues.  Thanks for your suggestions

Offline eelliott

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:56 pm »
Old thread but...
You can mount a network drive in the MDO only if you have logged on the computer using an username that has a password.

I successfully mounted a computer folder without using a password.  Firmware 1.20.  Win7 64-bit.
Server Name or IP Address: \\INTEL1
Path: \Users\Public
User Name:
User Password:

The reason this works is probably because Everyone has full security permissions for \Users\Public.  Without that, I suspect that you are correct that a password is mandatory.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf