Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z drops memory  (Read 5146 times)

Offline obbeTopic starter

Rigol DS1054Z drops memory
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »
I imagine this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any answers here or elsewhere (the Rigol DS1054Z-thread is pretty huge). Maybe its my lack of appropriate terminology.

When I have captured a signal using the DS1054Z and try to adjust the scale (vertical or horizontal) or the position (vertical or horizontal) it first moves as I would expect, but after a few moves it suddenly refuses to scale or reposition. The settings gets updated but the waveform is frozen on the screen.
When it captures a new waveform it works the same way - settings gets updated by waveform freezes after a while.

I'm pretty new to digital oscilloscopes, so maybe I have misunderstood something, but it was my understanding that one of the benefits of a digital oscilloscope was that it can hold the waveform in memory and that you can scale/reposition it (within reasonable limits) once it has been captured.

Thanks for any help and pointers, and once again, sorry if this has been asked before (probably)!

Edit: This applies when the oscilloscope is set to Normal triggering mode and is waiting for a new trigger (i.e. green WAIT at upper left corner).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:49:17 pm by obbe »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z drops memory
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:32:25 pm »
Any chance of a video? From your description, if I am understanding you correctly,  I'm not able to reproduce the error, and I think my 1054z is just about the "buggiest" one around.

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:34:31 pm »
Either a video or perhaps set the 1054Z defaults and let us know what type of signal you're measuring or if it's the probe compensation signal. Then the steps you take and a screenshot of the waveform before you try to zoom in on it, then lastly what you're adjusting from there?
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:53 am »
I've uploaded a video, see below.

Steps to reproduce
  • Attach probe to compensation signal (or other signal) with the trigger mode set to Normal.
  • Remove probe to ensure it is not triggered again and the scope remains in Wait.
  • Position or scale the waveform
  • Waveform freezes
  • Repeat

System info
DS1054Z
Software version: 00.04.02.SP3
Board version: 0.1.1
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:54:35 am by obbe »

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:25:18 am »
I am not able to reproduce the problem displayed in the video.

I am running the latest version of firmware though - I suggest you upgrade your scope. The current rev is 00.04.03.SP1
You can grab it here:
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

Despite the version it lists on the page when you download and unpack it you will see it is the newest.
VE7FM

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:32:51 am »
I've uploaded a video, see below.

Steps to reproduce
  • Attach probe to compensation signal (or other signal) with the trigger mode set to Normal.
  • Remove probe to ensure it is not triggered again and the scope remains in Wait.
  • Position or scale the waveform
  • Waveform freezes
  • Repeat

System info
DS1054Z
Software version: 00.04.02.SP3
Board version: 0.1.1
I'm also unable to reproduce this error. I'm running firmware 04.03 (no SP....)
For sure this must be a firmware issue.

Also the quoted firmware version you list was never made public from Rigol.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 07:43:02 am »
Thanks for your answers! Upgrading firmware did the trick!

When I orded the scope last year there were some delays (yeah, I was pretty slow in fixing this issue). Perhaps Rigol shipped a scope that was not actually ready to meet deadlines? Or my supplier messed up somewhere. :)

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:52:53 am »

When I orded the scope last year there were some delays (yeah, I was pretty slow in fixing this issue). Perhaps Rigol shipped a scope that was not actually ready to meet deadlines? Or my supplier messed up somewhere. :)

I remember that during Christmas time Rigol released a beta version to this forum, but it had a lot of other issues. Rigol was under pressure to get the jitter issue fixed.
This bad firmware version was probably also installed on production systems during this time.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:05:50 am »

Be aware manufacturers build models in production runs, program them and install FW, then package.
Units can sit in warehouses and resellers for some time until sold and in this time more than one FW revision can be released, especially with a "new to market" product.
Now it's not the resellers responsibility to ensure product is sold/delivered with the latest FW installed, in fact additional powered up time is likely to reduce trial options that are intended for the end purchaser.

In short it is best for the end purchaser to ensure his/her product is up to date.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf