Author Topic: Old Bench Meter Questions  (Read 2342 times)

Offline SatchTopic starter

• Contributor
Old Bench Meter Questions
« on: May 06, 2016, 05:31:12 am »
Gents, without rehashing the topic too much since I know there are a few threads out there already, I have kind of decided I want a bench meter of some sort. Now mind, I don't need one at all. I just want one.

I like the aesthetics of the old manual range models like the Keithley 179 or the Fluke 8XXX series. The auto ranging Keithly like the 197 is superb looking as well. This sort of meter would be great for the tinkering I do. Electrical-onics as I call it. I am not an electronics guy by trade. My background is commercial and industrial electrical. As such, I can sort of appreciate the fact that while these old models are beauties(to my eyes) and usually built very well, they really are getting toward the end of their life cycles. It doesn't mean they cannot be fixed but I am probably not the guy to do it. At least not yet!

Without going right up to a used HP34401A or similar, I was wondering if there was a sort of sweet spot so to speak with the old bench models that kept the interface simple like the above models yet also had say, continuity testing since many of the models I listed do not feature it.?  I really do not need too much more than a good VOM with continuity. I just like the 4.5/5.5 digit display and simple interfaces some of those old beasties supplied.  I looked at the HP3468 and it seems to have a good reputation and bargain pricing these days. It still looks a little busy in the interface department to me. Suggestions?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Old Bench Meter Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:39:11 am »
Personally, I'm not a fan of the older bench when compared to the new huge LCD bench color displays, but they can be had very cheaply.

The older bench meters do have the following in their favour.

1) Likely excellent manuals with schematics, bill of materials, theory of operation and troubleshooting.
2) You can find bargains in the $10 to $50 range.
3) Excellent quality components built to last.
4) Lots of info on the older meters such as

Modemhead's post

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/hp3468a-bench-multimeter-repair/

Youtube channel scullcom does a lot of Keithley meter teardowns

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDqryeq1kMDSEQwltWqASrA/videos

Martin's $10 Keithley

PS. I have an old Keithley that I got for $35 CDN, but I never use it.  It is stored in a box in the basement.

Offline SatchTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:56:43 am »
retiredcaps, thank you for the great reply. You make a very good point. There is a reason these newer meters have the much larger LCD displays. And thank you for the links. Good stuff.

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 08:58:52 pm »
LCDs can be hard to read on bench meters.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:26:13 pm »
That's what plasma displays were invented for  ;D
Best Regards, Chris

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:53:22 pm »
For readability I like the red LEDs on my Racal-Dana 5001 a lot better than the reflective LCD on my HP 3478a, but the latter is a bit more accurate and has GPIB.   Also, the Racal-Dana makes a lot of relay clunking with its autoranging.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf