Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z or not?  (Read 26286 times)

Offline ultrarunner2018Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z or not?
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2018, 05:31:00 pm »
For the Siglent SDS1104X-E, I can go directly to Siglent. Their price is the same as everyone else. The only reason I might not buy direct is if they don't have stock, or charge a high shipping fee. I would hope that buying direct from the OEM would guarantee that no "hanky-panky" has been going on with returned goods.

I personally will not use a 30-day return policy to "try out" a product. I always spend a lot of time (and over-thinking) researching before making a major (or sometimes even a minor) purchase. The only time I will return an item is if it is defective/damaged, or if it is obvious that the item had been previously opened and used.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2018, 06:27:57 pm »
I personally will not use a 30-day return policy to "try out" a product. I always spend a lot of time (and over-thinking) researching before making a major (or sometimes even a minor) purchase. The only time I will return an item is if it is defective/damaged, or if it is obvious that the item had been previously opened and used.
A good distributor has some demo models to play with but I doubt this is also true for the low end gear.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2018, 07:18:50 pm »
I've got one more question:
Why doesn't TEquipment sell the SDS1104X-E? They have the 1102X, and 1102B (whatever the difference is).
I was hoping I could buy the 1104X-E from them, since I have read that they offer a discount to members of this forum...
You may want to send a message to tautech.
Received and replied.
In ultrarunner2018's inbox.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2018, 08:17:58 pm »
I always spend a lot of time (and over-thinking) researching before making a major (or sometimes even a minor) purchase.

As witnessed by this thread!  ;)

Offline ultrarunner2018Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2018, 10:20:38 pm »
I always spend a lot of time (and over-thinking) researching before making a major (or sometimes even a minor) purchase.

As witnessed by this thread!  ;)
But in the end, I almost always make a better decision after all the posting and thinking.
Oddly though, I believe I spent less time researching and thinking about buying my last automobile - a Subaru Forester XT - back in 2004.
It turned out to be a good decision nonetheless; I am still driving the car today!

Offline grantb5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2018, 10:28:07 pm »
Do the scopes in this category have any protocol analysis?  Something simple like hex values for probes on I2C or RS232 or something like that?  I heard there was an add-on or software package that allows for this although the name escapes me. I'm in the same boat shopping wise and i do a lost of serial protocol stuff and hate to have to make my own sniffers/snoops/probes all the time. It's getting old.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2018, 10:45:44 pm »
Do the scopes in this category have any protocol analysis?  Something simple like hex values for probes on I2C or RS232 or something like that? 
Many do, some like the entry level Siglents include it free while other brands offer it as an option. Some that do can be hacked so to have Decode available but not everyone wants to ferk with new equipment to enable decoding.

I heard there was an add-on or software package that allows for this although the name escapes me. I'm in the same boat shopping wise and i do a lost of serial protocol stuff and hate to have to make my own sniffers/snoops/probes all the time. It's getting old.
There are a few Saleae logic analyzer clones available for little $ but apparently the original SW offers the best results. The disadvantage is they don't offer all the signal info a DSO with inbuilt decoding can.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:18 pm »
Do the scopes in this category have any protocol analysis?  Something simple like hex values for probes on I2C or RS232 or something like that?

Yes. It's built into Rigols and Siglents as standard.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:43:17 pm by Fungus »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2018, 05:56:16 am »
I've got one more question:
Why doesn't TEquipment sell the SDS1104X-E? They have the 1102X, and 1102B (whatever the difference is).
I was hoping I could buy the 1104X-E from them, since I have read that they offer a discount to members of this forum...

Maybe they're out of stock. Saelig also sells them and gives discounts to EEVblog members. Hurrah for competition.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2018, 03:43:05 pm »
Hello.  If you want a demo unit to try out let us know and we can send you one.

I think we have over 400 5 star reviews on the ds1054s.
https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS1054Z/Digital-Oscilloscopes/?search=true

We have a 60 day return policy.  The only thing we require is you keep the box and all accessories if you return it we can sell it as open box.  It helps a lot for us to have all the accessories.

Cheers
Evan Cirelli
Vice President and Co-Founder
Tequipment.NET

The following users thanked this post: rstofer

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2018, 04:32:24 pm »
Hello.  If you want a demo unit to try out let us know and we can send you one.

I think we have over 400 5 star reviews on the ds1054s.
https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS1054Z/Digital-Oscilloscopes/?search=true

We have a 60 day return policy.  The only thing we require is you keep the box and all accessories if you return it we can sell it as open box.  It helps a lot for us to have all the accessories.

Cheers
Evan Cirelli
Vice President and Co-Founder
Tequipment.NET

Hi Evan

Do the new DS1054z models you have in stock have all the Options enabled? Including the protocol decoders?

(I got mine long ago but some people currently may need to know.)

Cheers and thanks for the good work--

--Al
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf