Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z rotary encoder mod *works!*  (Read 89590 times)

Offline Penguin36Topic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DS1054Z rotary encoder mod *works!*
« on: August 19, 2015, 02:40:10 pm »
As we know, selecting values or chars with the rotary encoder knob on the 1054Z and similar is a pain.

Can't we change the rotary encoder with one that has these stepping grid? Sorry, I dont't know the correct words for that, I'm german. But I'm sure you know what I mean :-)

Update: its working, see Reply #4
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:18:37 pm by Penguin36 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rigol DS1054Z rotary encoder mod
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:53:26 pm »
As we know, selecting values or chars with the rotary encoder knob on the 1054Z and similar is a pain.

Can't we change the rotary encoder with one that has these stepping grid? Sorry, I dont't know the correct words for that, I'm german. But I'm sure you know what I mean :-)
Detented
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:58:36 pm »

Detented

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:35:42 pm »
Depends on whether Rigol are counting all four edges of the encoder waveform or not.

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z rotary encoder mod *works!*
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:47 pm »
So, I gave it a try, changed the rotary encoder with a detented type. This is working without problems :-)
Very nice selecting menu options, selecting chars, and NO jumping when pressing the button!

I will describe the mod in short time, if you like ....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »
It would be rude if you didn't.  ;)

Pics too please.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:30:20 pm »
It would be rude if you didn't.  ;)

Pics too please.

Sure, maybe a video. Stay tuned please.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:45:43 am »
Nice to know... but...

Since I seem to have sensitive fingers ("Safe Cracker Mode") I don't find the stock setup particularly hard to use.

Since your modification obviously voids your manufacturer's warranty, I think I'll wait until my warranty period has run out before I change anything inside the scope. (I appreciate your performing the experiment though... it's always better to learn from someone else's mistakes, or successes, before risking a warranty, I say.)

But then, I'm not bothered by the fan "noise" either, since I can't hear it over all the other equipment fans running in my laboratory/bedroom. (I even bought a quieter fan for my scope before it was delivered, based on all the complaints I read here. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered the actual fan noise was not bad at all. From all the complaints about the fan, I expected something like a leaf-blower noise. The quiet fan still sits in its original box...)

(If I need to enter some long string of information, like the "unlock" code, I do it using SCPI commands via telnet over the LAN connection, and I copy-paste from a text file where I know I have the proper sequence stored.)
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 03:56:45 am »
Congrats, I think your the first person to modify the scope. Two thumbs up if it's still under warranty.

And seriously I do applaud people who make stuff their own.

The following users thanked this post: exe

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 06:36:41 am »
Sure you will loose warranty!

But for me, I don't really care. Its not that expensive to buy a new one. Its not a x1000$ scope!

But anyway, the mod is very simple. You just need to get the right rotary encoder. I had some ALPS encoder laying around, different types. The best one for operation is the EC11 with 15 dents. One EC11 with 18 dents is not working with the scope. And a EC12 with 24 dents is working too. One or two downsides of the EC11/15: the bush button is very hard to push, and the shaft is not flat.

So I will do some testing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:28:31 am by Penguin36 »

Offline Tainer

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 07:56:48 am »
That's a very nice mod!  :-+ Another thing that I would do while still in there: increase the value of the current-limiting resistor for the red LED behind the 'start/stop'  button - imo it's way too bright and distracting.

Actually, I don't mind that encoder at all - while selecting values and stuff is not very comfortable, it's quite convenient for adjusting cursors, intensity, etc. I'm a bit more frustrated with the encoders with detents on this scope that tend to miss a step sometimes. The thing is - you can leave the knob is sort of a 'half-step' position and when you turn it you will actually feel the click, but the step won't be registered.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:10:33 am »
That's a very nice mod!  :-+ Another thing that I would do while still in there: increase the value of the current-limiting resistor for the red LED behind the 'start/stop'  button - imo it's way too bright and distracting.

Actually, I don't mind that encoder at all - while selecting values and stuff is not very comfortable, it's quite convenient for adjusting cursors, intensity, etc. I'm a bit more frustrated with the encoders with detents on this scope that tend to miss a step sometimes. The thing is - you can leave the knob is sort of a 'half-step' position and when you turn it you will actually feel the click, but the step won't be registered.

For me, moving cursors with the detented encoder is much nicer and accurate, good acceleration. And I don't like to select menu options using the soft keys. I always 'overshoot' the wanted menu option using the original encoder, like triggers or decoders. And if I got the right option and press the encoder for OK, it jumps one option up or down most of the time.
Now thats gone, 1 step on the rotary encoder is 1 jump in menus. Pushing the encoder button for OK never changes the value or option, selected item just stays there. Spinning it faster, steps are bigger. Changing values is better now too.

But thats my opinion.

BTW, the brightness auf the LED is ok for me. Fan sucks  :--
Ahh, and yes, I will cover the LEDs for SG and LA. Hey, I can see them for 1-2 sec at boot up  ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:17:02 am by Penguin36 »

Offline Tainer

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 10:28:24 am »
For me, moving cursors with the detented encoder is much nicer and accurate, good acceleration. And I don't like to select menu options using the soft keys. I always 'overshoot' the wanted menu option using the original encoder, like triggers or decoders. And if I got the right option and press the encoder for OK, it jumps one option up or down most of the time.
Now thats gone, 1 step on the rotary encoder is 1 jump in menus. Pushing the encoder button for OK never changes the value or option, selected item just stays there. Spinning it faster, steps are bigger. Changing values is better now too.

In that case I'll definitely consider this mod. They probably should have used a dented encoder for this knob in the first place, price difference couldn't be that significant. Can you give a link for the digikey part?
As for the fan - I wonder if it will be good enough to simply slow it down (i.e. put a series resistor with a fan).

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 11:14:31 am »
In that case I'll definitely consider this mod. They probably should have used a dented encoder for this knob in the first place, price difference couldn't be that significant. Can you give a link for the digikey part?
As for the fan - I wonder if it will be good enough to simply slow it down (i.e. put a series resistor with a fan).

Sorry, no partnumber for the encoder. I bought mine on ebay some time ago. Description only tells Alps EC11 or EC12 with dents value.
I will try to find out what part number matches.

But you can measure the original encoder with scope or LA to get the right one.

I will change the fan with a quieter one as described in other threads. A resistor will also help, but be sure the fan still starts at lower voltage. I know the stock fan is sucking the air through the scope from right to left, blowing through metal and plastic cutouts in the case. The 'air-noise' is higher than using this fan outside the case. I wonder if it is more quiet when changing the airflow direction.
Will try this later.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 11:36:49 am »
Nice to know that the knob can easily be replaced if the original one breaks.

Since I seem to have sensitive fingers ("Safe Cracker Mode") I don't find the stock setup particularly hard to use.
But "not particularly hard" isn't the same as "easy". I bet you still occasionally manage to turn the knob 0.1 degrees when you're pushing it, giving a bad selection.

The whole thing has a ridiculously easy software fix IMHO - just allow people to press the grey menu button to accept a menu choice after you turn the knob.

(And bonus points for letting us move up/down inside a menu using the blue up/down arrow buttons).

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 02:44:57 pm »
I uploaded a quick video on youtube showing some features of the scope after the rotary encoder mod.

http://youtu.be/FnQcSKzWOxs
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:00:40 pm by Penguin36 »

The following users thanked this post: julian1

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 05:14:27 pm »
Very nice, now I want to mod my ds2000 one, but I'm going on vacation so it must wait.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 07:05:01 pm »
*Awesome* I just did this mod on my MSO1074Z-S, I had some rotary encoders in stock perfect for the job, RS part # 6234237, ALPS EC12E2424407

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mechanical-rotary-encoders/6234237

It fits mechanically and electrically perfectly. The shaft is the perfect length too.

Took me dead on an hour, I might have saved time had I not tried to start removing the main PCB, that can remain screwed in, once you've taken off the steel cover, just remove the remaining steel structure from the front panel with the eight or so self tappers. You only need to remove one flat flex from the main PCB, the one by the rear BNC(s) to be able to remove the keyboard/knob PCB. Desoldering the rotary encoder's ground lugs will take a decent iron as they are soldered to the board's ground plane. I desoldered the five electrical contacts first with a suction desoldering iron, then eased the rotary encoder out one lug at a time: trying to use desolder braid proved largely fruitless.

Again, a great mod, makes a real difference, very effective.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, julian1

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »
Nice mod!  Can't wait to do this mod when my warranty runs out.

Rigol probably saved $0.10 using a non-detented encoder vs. the stock in there right now. That knob always bothered me why it's not detented. It should have been in the first place.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:41 pm »
Very nice, now I want to mod my ds2000 one, but I'm going on vacation so it must wait.
The quick and cheap mod is the infamous "Rigol knob swap".

Swap with one of the bigger knobs to gain better control.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 10:01:03 pm »

I agree this ten second fix does improve the situation somewhat, but it never cured it, this detented rotary encoder mod nails it though.

Offline soren

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 11:34:11 pm »

Anyone know a source for buying the bigger knobs?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 01:11:06 am »

I guess you can try with one of the existing ones, but I would not bother. My frustration is when I press to select something and it selects the next/previous item, not sure the bigger knob would prevent this.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 01:55:04 am »

I guess you can try with one of the existing ones, but I would not bother. My frustration is when I press to select something and it selects the next/previous item, not sure the bigger knob would prevent this.
Exactly this^^^^^^
Try it, they just pull off, push on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 02:14:47 am »
Excellent mod, the DS1054Z just begs to have this installed.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf