Author Topic: iphone Headphone Output Level  (Read 2190 times)

Offline joshundTopic starter

iphone Headphone Output Level
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:13 pm »
Does anyone know what the approximate peak to peak voltage should be when you measure the output of a digital full scale sin wave (say 1kHz) from the headphone output of an iphone (4s or newer) into a large load (1Mohm or more)? Does the signal have a DC bias or is it centered about 0V? I would measure it on my iphone but I do not currently have an oscilloscope and haven't been able to find any information about the output levels online.

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
Re: iphone Headphone Output Level
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »
Why do you need to measure its output?
Anyhow, my dad has the 4s and he's not here now so I'll try to measure it later and give you the figures once he arrives. ::) (Unless somebody in here has another one to test on of course) ;)
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:15:13 pm »
The output is not digital, it is analog.

On iPhone SE (iPhone 6 derivative), at maximum volume the output is 0.48 V peak @ 1 kHz.  I used Tone Gen app.  So figure it is 1 volt peak to peak.  The signal is centered on 0 V, no DC bias.

Offline ruairi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 02:37:03 am »
May the power of Google be with you….

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm

And detailed measurements of several previous models here - http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/index.htm

Send Ken a donation if you find these measurements useful, link at the bottom of the review.  (I just did).

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:45:52 am by ruairi »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 02:45:15 am »
Does anyone know what the approximate peak to peak voltage should be when you measure the output of a digital full scale sin wave (say 1kHz) from the headphone output of an iphone (4s or newer) into a large load (1Mohm or more)? Does the signal have a DC bias or is it centered about 0V? I would measure it on my iphone but I do not currently have an oscilloscope and haven't been able to find any information about the output levels online.

You can measure it with a multimeter on AC volts (or AC millivolts) if you have one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf