Author Topic: Setting LeCroy 9300 Series Thermal Printer Darkness?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline RCHRDMTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Setting LeCroy 9300 Series Thermal Printer Darkness?
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:59:25 pm »
The 9300 series LeCroy oscilloscopes came with an optional thermal printer.  The LeCroy part number is 9300-7.
Does anyone know of a way to adjust the image (darker) on this printer?
I have not come across any options in the scope software to do this.
Does it depend on the type of paper used?
Richard

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Setting LeCroy 9300 Series Thermal Printer Darkness?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:08:32 am »
Not sure on the 9300 Series but if I remember right (my WavePro has a printer but I've never used it) there's an intensity control knob under the printer cover.

As to the scope's menu, there isn't to control the printer other than selecting it as output.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:52:59 pm »
Thanks.

If I lift up the cover over the printer (where the roll of paper is), I see a lever that I assume helps to install the paper and a button to advance the paper, but no other control.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:56:07 pm by RCHRDM »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:19:58 am »
You're right. I checked again last night and the printer in my WavePro doesn't have a brightness control either. I've seen printers that have it but it might have been in other equipment. I guess there's no obvious way to control brightness then, at least in non-disassembled condition (I'd guess it still has some way to set the print intensity internally).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:44:46 pm »
Thanks.
I have the scope apart ready for a replacement front panel, etc.  I took the printer circuit board off, but did not see any trimmers or adjustments.
I guess what you see is what you get!
Maybe different papers...
It basically works OK though.
Richard

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:24:49 am »
Well, at the end of the day, it's a black and white (single bit, i.e. not even grayscale) printer, so I guess its manufacturer didn't believe any brightness control was required.

I've seen a lot of LeCroy scopes with printers but I've never seen someone actually using it. Usually the only interaction with it comes, after years of non-use when some caps on the printer board have dried out and prevent the scope from booting, in the form of opening the scope and disconnecting the printer.  ;)

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »
If these printers have poor contrast, usually its caused by the paper (or a dirty printhead).
The old paper has aged way beyond its intended life and as such, has become insensitive, and recently made paper is intended for different printheads (usually much hotter, especially for high speed POS reciept printers), so unfortunately its really hard to find anything that works well. If there were some adjustment to increase printhead drive (or increasing its supply voltage) it might help, but it also might burn out the head.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf