Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z vs Xminilab  (Read 4347 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Rigol DS1054Z vs Xminilab
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:57:28 am »
Just ordered a Rigol DS1054Z  from Tequipement for:

399.00 - 23.94 (eevblog discount) + free shipping = 375.06

to test my Xminilab  so I can find out if the Xminilab meets the following specs:

- less than $100
- good documentation
- not used-
- not AC based

(because the Rigol cannot meet these specs)

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Re: Rigol DS1054Z vs Xminilab
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 02:01:27 am »
What?   :palm:

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 02:07:25 am »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:15:12 am »
Hmm, 2Msps vs 1Gsps and 200KHz vs 100MHz bandwidth, that Xminilab is not even in the same zipcode let alone the same ballpark as the Rigol :)

But I guess it has features that the Rigol doesn't have, like a very low end AWG and LA features.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 02:24:14 am »
I'll follow up with a comparison of my car against a child's tricycle.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline V8Snail

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 02:34:44 am »
 :wtf: Noted!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 02:38:15 am »
Well ez24, you're correct on one item - the Rigol cannot beat the $100 spec of the xminilab.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 03:45:37 am »
like a very low end AWG and LA features.

what is AWG  and  LA  ?

- Nice picture of the Xminilab, the current ones only have amber display

- If I have to follow a spec between a Cadillac and a tri-cycle, to go from here to the grocery store and the specification was I had to use a 3 wheel vehicle - what could I do ?  (I do not have the ability to take off one wheel and make the cadi work on 3 wheels)

I have put up some topics with specs and no one follows them.  I do not understand, maybe a specification is not what I thinks it mean.  For example if I spec that I want a scope under $100, everyone will say buy a $400 scope.  What am I doing wrong?  Any suggestions on what I can do ?
Well ez24, you're correct on one item - the Rigol cannot beat the $100 spec of the xminilab.
thank you - someone understands a spec   (this is about another topic - not this one)

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 03:51:02 am »
like a very low end AWG and LA features.

what is AWG  and  LA  ?

(AWG) Arbitrary Waveform Generator
(LA) Logic Analyzer

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:39:19 am »
BTW, why didn't you link your other post?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/xscope____xmega-xminilab-oscilloscope-cheap-small-not-as-good-as-rigol/

Your question would have made more sense (well kind of more sense because even that thread is a bit of confusing).

So, you want a self contained (as in no computer needed) scope that is under $100 that is new and it's to teach on high school some fundamentals.

I would say that at $69 the xminilab is a bit overpriced for what it does, but it has a better screen than its little brother
http://www.gabotronics.com/development-boards/xmega-xprotolab.htm

But be aware you need a power supply or at least a USB wall wart plus USB cable to power it up, and some jumper cables for either one of those cheap scopes.

Only other alternative but you won't have an arbitrary wave generator or logic analyzer is to purchase cheap android tablets that uses the audio input as a scope, not sure if those programs can use the speaker output as a wave generator.

Also, because of the confusion on both threads I would think you are teaching in a language other than English, right?

So other than those gadgets the only other alternative I could think of is to contact some vendor to promote your class, it would be good publicity for them and the kids will get exposed early on to their brand, and we all know how strong brand loyalty is.

So maybe contact all the major and medium manufacturers to see if they have some kind of educational discount or even donated equipment for a couple of pictures to go on their website and tax deductible for them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:41:05 am by miguelvp »

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 05:27:29 am »
Only other alternative but you won't have an arbitrary wave generator or logic analyzer is to purchase cheap android tablets that uses the audio input as a scope, not sure if those programs can use the speaker output as a wave generator.

I once thought about this then forgot.  Will look into this - thanks

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 05:44:35 am »
Just be aware that you can only use them with audio levels, so only use it with audio sources.

Still I think your best bet is to contact Tektronix, Keysight, Siglent, Rigol, etc to see if they would supply your class with equipment for a fraction of the cost.

Edit: Also to note that one scope like the Rigol DS1054Z you got instead of 4/5 of those boards would be worthwhile for them to share them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:48:33 am by miguelvp »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf