Author Topic: Rigol DS1074Z not recognising USB flash drives.  (Read 3668 times)

Offline KX36

• Contributor
Rigol DS1074Z not recognising USB flash drives.
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »
I've been using a new USB flash drive (SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB3, presumably FAT32 filesystem) in my relatively new and barely used scope for 2 days now and it worked fine, I plugged it in and unplugged it maybe 6-7 times in total, but today it didn't recognise the drive. I tried a different drive (much older 2GB kingston data traveller) and that didn't work either. A few restarts, plugging and unplugging the drive, plugging in slowly, wiggling around and unplugging all scope inputs and holding it in the air rather than on the antistatic mat and it worked, but when I plugged it into the PC and back into the scope it no longer recognised it and nothing I do makes it work.

Is this a problem anyone else has had, any suggestions I can do about it?

Cheers,
Matt

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1074Z not recognising USB flash drives.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:06:54 AM »
I have seen this happen is there is filesystem problems on the drive. You probably ripped out the drive from your PC without ejecting.

Reformat the drive or run a chkdsk on it from your OS.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:11:06 AM »
If there's any data on the flash drive try removing it (back it up to PC first.) Then Format the flash drive on the PC and retry it in the scope. Replace the data onto the flash drive if necessary.

Do you have another USB flash drive you can try? If the flash drives are becoming flaky they start to have issues like this.

Offline opty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:19:12 AM »
Then Format the flash drive on the PC and retry it in the scope.

Just make sure you choose FAT32. My DS1074Z just ignores anything else.

Offline KX36

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:28:31 AM »
I never just rip out from the PC, always do safely remove. I'm not sure of the safest way to remove from the scope though, it seems either to just pull it out or turn off the scope is the only way to do it so I assume the scope writes to the drive immediately rather than keeping data in a buffer for later writing like a PC does.

As I said, I tried a different drive, that didn't work either... just plugging it in and unplugging after the other drive hasn't worked,

I've been fiddling with it for a few more minutes. I've determined that the Sandisk drive works if it's plugged in after the scope is loaded, but no USB drive works if the scope is turned on with the Sandisk drive plugged in until the scope is restarted without it. The Kingston drive (which also has the latest update firmware file on it) works when the scope is turned on with it in or when the scope is turned on with no drive and then it's plugged in. It doesn't work if the scope's already failed to recognise the Sandisk drive.

I wonder if it's because the Sandisk is USB3. I've checked that the filesystem on both of these drives is FAT32. The sandisk drive also has an encryption program .exe on the drive which I've never run but I think is supposed to just be a standalone app to encrypt individual files when run so shouldn't affect the unencrypted drive or files and there is supposedly a subscription service to recover deleted files from the drive.

I quick-formatted the drive and it now seems to work, but it worked seamlessly for the first 2 days anyway so I'll have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:42:39 AM »
For me some USB sticks are recognized immediately , but others require to be removed and re-insert.
A stick with many files does not work. The ones with LED , flash once and stop, I then remove and re-insert then it works
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:24:33 AM »
I've had troubles with USB3 intermittent problems as well as anything over 8 GB as intermittent problem.  Rigols Manual state <= 8GB drives are supported i beleive was the limit.  So anything above that i'd say your on your own
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

http://opalkelly.com/