Author Topic: I probably paid too much for this Protek 506, but it took my fancy.  (Read 4287 times)

Offline rcrookTopic starter

• Contributor
Generally it appears that the talk on the forum classes this as a mid range DMM. I haven't had a chance to verify everything is ok with it but am interested in if you think I paid to much for it? I paid $125 on a local auction site.

When I got it home I found the original receipt in the manual. It was purchased on 13-09-2001 from the Fyshwick Jaycar in ACT for $299. Still alive after 18+ years not too bad in my books.

The RS232 and Sig Gen were the attraction. Plus its age.

The following users thanked this post: Kartika

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: I probably paid too much for this Protek 506, but it took my fancy.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 02:18:26 pm »
Nice looking display.

Be aware the RS232 is NOT isolated...  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/suggestions/protek-506-review/
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:06 pm »
I have one... not too bad. It's not that fast, and neither too accurate, but for me has done it's job for a lot of years, and it's still there.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 02:56:29 pm »
I haven't had a chance to verify everything is ok with it but am interested in if you think I paid to much for it? I paid $125 on a local auction site.

It only makes sense to ask if you can return it, or willing to sell :).

I've paid ~$125 for my Power Designs power supply, of which $25 was the price, the rest was shipping plus taxes :). It's also 110V (or thereabout), and is bigger than I'd like. So, it's almost useless for me, but it was an emotional purchase, and I know that.

As of your DMM, it sounds a bit expensive, but hey, it at least works, unlike my power supply which collects dust :). Anyway, if it makes you happy, then why bother about price? And if it's Australian dollars, then I wouldn't worry at all. Currently T&M secondhand market is high, so getting bargains is difficult :(

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 10:24:57 pm »
I haven't had a chance to verify everything is ok with it but am interested in if you think I paid to much for it? I paid $125 on a local auction site.

It only makes sense to ask if you can return it, or willing to sell :).

I've paid ~$125 for my Power Designs power supply, of which $25 was the price, the rest was shipping plus taxes :). It's also 110V (or thereabout), and is bigger than I'd like. So, it's almost useless for me, but it was an emotional purchase, and I know that.

As of your DMM, it sounds a bit expensive, but hey, it at least works, unlike my power supply which collects dust :). Anyway, if it makes you happy, then why bother about price? And if it's Australian dollars, then I wouldn't worry at all. Currently T&M secondhand market is high, so getting bargains is difficult :(

Emotional purchases will kick the shit out of your wallet every time! We've all been there...   :-DD

Really though, it's a nice dual-reading display, and for most general work you don't need more than 3.5 digits. So maybe it's a bit expensive, but I bet it'll give good service for many more years.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 09:53:42 am »
I have the same model with same accessories, except user manual. I paid less though.
There are some discussions throughout internet on genuine Vs. fake models, I don't know if this is founded.

The display and function range are nice, overall build quality very average, the mA fuse holder is a disgrace.

The function switch was much to stiff to my liking so I replaced or squashed the springs.

I'll have to check but seem to remember there being optocouplers somewhere on the RS232.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:02 am »
I like the on off button. So much less stress on the selector knob.
With common nimh battery it not last much, but with li ion it last a lot. I use bonai 600mah.
I attach a picture of mine, boughti think 10/ 15 years ago. I think that is genuine.
The serial interface is optocoupled, as seen in photo.

Would be nice to know the calibration procedure. Mine have not lost it's calibration (always the same results with same references) but would be nice to try to increase a bit it's accuracy. I see some pots, but i have a bit of fear touching them  :-BROKE

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 11:40:49 am »
Wow, that brings back memories, yeah 2001 at least.
IIRC it had the stiffest range switch I'd ever felt.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 02:22:05 pm »
I have the same model with same accessories, except user manual. I paid less though.
There are some discussions throughout internet on genuine Vs. fake models, I don't know if this is founded.

The display and function range are nice, overall build quality very average, the mA fuse holder is a disgrace.

The function switch was much to stiff to my liking so I replaced or squashed the springs.

I'll have to check but seem to remember there being optocouplers somewhere on the RS232.

Yeah my bad, I skimmed through the thread I linked instead of reading it fully   :-X

The creepage distances are pretty laughable though, but if you're just measuring general electronics stuff and not venturing into hundreds of volts territory it shouldn't be an issue.

Another one to add to my ebay watch lists!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 02:56:36 pm »
@ masterx81
Calibration should be easy enough, all the trimmers are labelled.
Start with the MAX134 datasheet and look for Vref, adjust that first using another DMM.
Check / adjust all the others feeding known values close to but less than "full scale".

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 05:35:05 pm »
After the post i've already tried without touching the vref. I've compared the readings with a good know dmm, and only temperature and dc were out, all the other well in tollerances.. I've fixed temperature, but dcv wasn't possible to set accurate because setting on the low side made worse on high values. So it remains in that way

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »
What you observed is very common with low end DMMs or older DMMs, where they calibrate using pots.  Due to the non-linear nature of their A/D converter, and with the limitation to only one calibration point with the pot, when the low end is right, the top end might be off, and vice-versa. 

Often, if there's a service manual, the calibration voltage is a single digit voltage for these meters, and not necessarily near the top of a range.  In a lab grade DMM where there are multiple adjustment points, there are multiple zero and gain adjustment for each range.  For example, in DC alone, the Keysight 34401A has six separate gain adjustment across the voltage ranges, and 5 different zero adjustments for DC, for a total of 11. 

It used to drive me crazy trying to optimize the accuracy of a handheld DMM using the service manual, as the high end is always way off spec.  Now I am down to one of two ways:
* You will need a voltage calibrator for the first approach, you first would map out the measured voltage on a graph across the entire measurement range.  Then pick a calibration voltage which will allow both the high and low end to fall within spec.
* Determine the voltage that you care about, pick the point you use most often, then calibrate against that particular point.  So if 3V is what you measure the most, set the calibration to 3V and adjust the pot to give you a 3V reading.  Often we care about <20V DC, you will likely find high end to be off spec, but at least the voltage that matters to you is accurate.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 07:45:54 pm »
What you observed is very common with low end DMMs or older DMMs, where they calibrate using pots.  Due to the non-linear nature of their A/D converter, and with the limitation to only one calibration point with the pot, when the low end is right, the top end might be off, and vice-versa. 

The cause is much more likely due to input voltage dividers using cheap resistors lets say 1% and not using expensive laser trimmed resistors on ceramic substrate ...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:11:34 pm by CDaniel »

The following users thanked this post: NoisyBoy

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 11:58:19 pm »
The cause is much more likely due to input voltage dividers using cheap resistors lets say 1% and not using expensive laser trimmed resistors on ceramic substrate ...

Great point!  Thanks.

Offline Krisby

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 02:58:34 am »
If you are interested in selling, I seem to be developing a Protek 506 collection, so I am interested in buying.  I bought one from the USA on ebay, a hardly if ever used one, and recently I've taken delivery of a new one from a firm in Kolkata, India.  I had bought one originally from Jaycar or Altronics, and it was my great leap forward from the little yellow $10 DMM, which seemed like astonishing technology at the time.  Two of my Protek 506s came in a cardboard box which was inscribed with the words 'The "Next Generation" Digital Multimeter' 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf