Author Topic: Velleman PS3005D Bench Power Supply  (Read 9863 times)

Offline crash2140Topic starter

• Contributor
Velleman PS3005D Bench Power Supply
« on: December 30, 2014, 12:53:49 pm »
I am looking for a basic bench power supply, and I thought that a Korad KA3005P would be a good choice. However, ordering it online would imply shipping costs, customs, and all that. So, I found a local store that sells this power supply, which is very similar. The problem is when Dave did the review on the Korad, it had some errors, which have been corrected, and I was wondering if the Velleman still has those problems or they also corrected them. If anyone has this power supply, please let me know.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
Re: Velleman PS3005D Bench Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:58:46 pm »
Hey at least is Velleman, they're in Belgium if I remember correctly. Ask for a warranty, then you're good to go.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:44:12 pm »
opt for the brand ITECH model IT6720
The problem is, as I already said, that I would have to pay 65$ for the shipping, but thanks anyway! I will look into that.
Ask for a warranty, then you're good to go.
Maybe that's kinda risky... They can always make an excuse. What can we expect from a 150$ power supply?

I also found out that Velleman no longer produces this power supply, they've replaced it with a newer model, the LABPS3005D (they also made that change on the binding posts gazelle mentioned). Perhaps they've fixed the error on this new one.
Here are the links for both of them:
http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?country=be&lang=en&id=409798
http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=417862

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 07:23:24 pm »
I think Korad has sold enough of these and they have demonstrated a willingness to communicate with their distributors and end users that by now most of the bugs should have been worked out.  I purchased one about a year and half ago and it has been one of my favorite pieces of test equipment.  It has a small footprint, it is easy and enjoyable to operate, and it consistently lines up with my DMMs on volts and amps.  Is it a $400 Rigol or an Aiglent, etc?  Probably not, but for $150 or so it's a good deal.  If you can get one from a dependable distributor in your area I think it's worth a try.  (I don't know what the relationship is between Velleman and Korad but Velleman seems to be a decent company too.)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:17:09 pm »
There's another store which sells only the improved version (the first store only sold the old version), and in their website they say it's a new arrival, so I'm probably going to buy it there, but I will make sure to ask if it really is the new model. Thanks for the help!

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 07:39:59 pm »
This is picture of improved model with safety binding posts.

They are not binding posts, they are banana jacks.  I would hardly call that an improvement, since I would much rather have binding posts on a bench supply.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:21:15 pm »
Banana jacks on a low voltage bench power supply? That is just stupid.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf