Author Topic: VMA Simple Spectrum Analyser for Siglent SSA3021X  (Read 15123 times)

Offline BicuricoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: VMA Simple Spectrum Analyser for Siglent SSA3021X
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 04:14:36 pm »
Update2:

Windows 7 (and below) is not supported.

My software uses WebSockets, which is not implemented in Windows 7 (only Windows 8 upwards).

This means that you need Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

You can use a virtual machine running Windows 10, though. Just use free Oracle Virtual Box and use the free enterprise demo of Windows 10.

Sorry about this...

...but I never guessed that so many people are still using Windows XP (huge security risk - do NOT use Windows XP connected to network) or Windows 7.

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:17:37 pm by Bicurico »

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 01:20:27 pm »
Other than NetFramework, does this need any other software and/or drivers like that (so called) EasySpectrum does?? Namely that bloated National Instruments joke.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:51:44 pm by videobruce »

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:30 pm »
Hi,

It does not require anything else - you just need Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 and the .net Framework, which should be pre-installed anyway.

Other than that, you just download a ZIP file and extract the folder to whereever you like. There isn't even an installation - just run the executable. It does need to find the two included folders (with satellite transponder lists and pictures for the GPS mapping), so don't try to run the executable from within the ZIP.

But please note that my software has a different goal than EasySpectrum. In my software, I built "my own spectrum analyzer" using the trace obtained from the SSA3021X (of course my software sets the required frequencies, span, RBW/VBW and attenuation). All further functionality is done within my software and not using any SSA functionality. Thus, it does not rely on any active options.

EasySpectrum, however, basically recreates a GUI for all SSA functionality. You can 100% remote control the SSA3021X. My software does not provide that.

My goal was to implement common Spectrum Analyser functionality, but then I wanted to have a platform to develop my own functions, like the transponder recognition, GPS mapping, mask functionality with e-mail alarm, etc.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:58 pm »
I think installing Win10 or the .NET bullshitware is more serious security risk than keeping a WinXP station alive connected to the internet.  :-//

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 01:49:21 pm »
I think installing Win10 or the .NET bullshitware is more serious security risk than keeping a WinXP station alive connected to the internet.  :-//

No offense, but this is a common myth. Windows XP was launched 2001 and it's support officially ended 2009 (extended support in 2012). See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#End_of_support.

This means that Windows XP is now 16 years old! It would be the same like running Red Hat 7.1 Linux with kernel 2.4.2!

Windows XP is a 32 bit operating system (there was an almost useless 64bit version), which is outdated, has no support, no bug fixes and above all, no security fixes. Running Windows XP connected to the internet is a huge security risk, as there are KNOWN bugs which ARE being used by criminals.

Here is an article, if you care: https://www.wired.com/2017/05/still-use-windows-xp-prepare-worst/

I do accept that there is equipment (from instruments to machines) that use a controller based on Windows XP. Changing that could mean throwing away a working unit. But a regular computer? No acceptable. A usable laptop can be purchased for as little as 400 Euro (there are even cheaper ones).

And while one may not like it for whatever reason, Windows 10 is NOT bad. Certainly not worse than any commercial Linux distribution or MacOS. You may dislike this or that functionality, you may be concerned about privacy issues (but then, you should be really concerned when using Windows XP connected to the internet), but the fact is: Windows 10 is pretty stable, fast and modern.

Also, .net is not that much bullshitware. It is a modern framework and certainly not worse than Java.

Sometimes one has to go along with time and just allow the changes to happen!

Example: we sell a complex CAM software. They changed the GUI in the latest version to a ribbon bar GUI. The first impression was of shock and "that will never work" and "it sucks". After two weeks we look at the old GUI and smile on how old it looks...

Regards,
Vitor

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 01:55:59 pm »
Update2:
Windows 7 (and below) is not supported.
...but I never guessed that so many people are still using Windows XP (huge security risk - do NOT use Windows XP connected to network) or Windows 7.
Regards,
Vitor
1. I use XP on my laptop. There are older pieces of test equipment that won't run on Win7 or newer.
2. I run Win7 on both of my towers (desktops). I can't imagine ever running W10. Ther GUI sucks. The reinvented the wheel from round to square.
3. Any edition of M$ is a security risk. :-DD
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:06:11 pm by videobruce »

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 01:59:13 pm »
That's OK and your own choice.

Unfortunatly that means you won't be able to use my software...  :-BROKE
...unless you install Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 in a virtual machine.

And don't get me wrong - I maintain an old hp laptop with Windows XP exactly to connect it to older gear like the genius G540 programmer, car releated diagnose tools, JTAG interfaces, smartcard programmer, etc.

But all my main computers are running on Windows 10 - I haven't had a single issue.

Regards,
Vitor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf