Author Topic: Rigol DS2072A spurious signals and display corruption  (Read 8116 times)

Offline dadlerTopic starter

• Supporter
Rigol DS2072A spurious signals and display corruption
« on: July 27, 2015, 05:58:38 am »
Hi all-

I've had my DS2072A for a couple of months now, used on and off. I haven't even used up all of the trial hours yet.

Today, I was trying out my new (to me) Agilent 33522B, feeding the DS2072A a 5MHz sine wave via a 50ohm feed-through terminator (scope input impedance @1M) on channel 2.

The scope display started glitching out. I thought it was a fluke or noise, as the issue went away only to start reoccurring regularly over the course of a couple of hours.

Until the screen itself started bouncing everywhere, I thought maybe it was my signal generator. So I tried two other function generators and was able to yield the same result.

The issue is more likely to happen when the scope has just been powered on, but it has also glitched out at random even when it has been on for an hour straight.

It's more likely to happen if I'm feeding the scope a signal when it boots up, although that isn't necessary to reproduce the issue.

I captured the most recent glitch-session (from a fresh reboot):

I then rebooted the scope:

Firmware: 00.03.03.SP2
Hardware: 2.0

Anyone know the process for RMAing a Rigol scope?

Can I go back through Tequipment, or do I have to go through Rigol NA?

My concern is that this is something that isn't 100% consistent, although I have been able to reproduce it about 10 times tonight. I don't want the scope to get to Rigol and have them conclude that it's fine, like what seems to happen when you take your car to the shop. Ugh.

Thanks.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS2072A spurious signals and display corruption
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 06:41:47 am »
You could check with the user alsetalokin4017 on the forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/woohoo-its-here/msg715728/#msg715728

If I recall correctly, he received a replacement unit straight away from TEquipment.
Anyhow, you can check his video where he points out his experiences and check how he got a replacement unit. His unit was brand new, and returned shortly, so maybe that made the process smoother.

Probably good to show the guys from TEquipment your video as well through an URL link.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:45:16 am by pascal_sweden »

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:25 pm »
Thanks.

I called Rigol and was given an RMA number.

I do have to ship the scope back at my expense, and I guess I have to insure it or take the risk. Oh well.

I put a paper with links to the videos above inside the box, maybe the techs will watch them.

Offline onrainbow

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:25:29 pm »
Does it happen at a smaller input frequency? I will  test mine but only have up to 3mhz generator. Thanks

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:12 pm »
Does it happen at a smaller input frequency? I will  test mine but only have up to 3mhz generator. Thanks

I was able to get it to happen with nothing connected to the inputs, and also at 10kHz.

I suspect the input frequency may be a red herring, as the entire scope display now flickers (remember what CRT monitors looked like with a low refresh rate?) when it boots up.

Thinking back, I saw some quirks a month or two ago when I was looking at the output of my rubidium frequency standard. At the time, I thought it was the output of the rubidium unit and not the scope, and it spontaneously "fixed itself". In retrospect, I think the scope has been on its way out for a while.

My guess is that the power supply is failing on this unit.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:01:51 am »
You could check with the user alsetalokin4017 on the forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/woohoo-its-here/msg715728/#msg715728

If I recall correctly, he received a replacement unit straight away from TEquipment.
Anyhow, you can check his video where he points out his experiences and check how he got a replacement unit. His unit was brand new, and returned shortly, so maybe that made the process smoother.

Probably good to show the guys from TEquipment your video as well through an URL link.

Yes, that's right.

This is a good reminder to "burn in" your new equipment so that if it's going to fail, you are still in the vendor's return guarantee period when it does. I'm pretty sure that if I'd had to return my unit to Rigol, rather than to TEquipment, I wouldn't have gotten the replacement quite so quickly. And TEquipment pays for the shipping both on the RMI and the replacement unit.

Document everything you can; a video of the unit glitching with nothing connected to the inputs would probably be helpful.

But it sounds like you have the problem sorted. Please let us know how long it takes to receive your replacement.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply. My scope is already on its way back to Rigol.

The applications tech I spoke to said they have all the DS2000 replacement parts in stock currently, so the turnaround time should be about two weeks.

I do hope they watch the videos, and hence replace the correct part. I'd hate to have to send the scope back again at my expense. I've heard of a couple people who sent theirs back, got the main board replaced only to have the issue recur. Turned out to be the power supply in both cases, so two trips to Rigol were required. Crossing my fingers.

When I last turned the scope on prior to boxing it up, the LCD was flickering at about 60hz like an old CRT monitor. That should assist in the diagnosis... Really sounds like a power supply issue to me.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 05:55:02 am »
Just an update.

Rigol received the scope on July 30th. A month passed (I was told I would have the scope back in my possession in 2 weeks) with no news. I emailed Rigol and was told that they need to replace the main board on my scope, however they ran into some issues and delays and were waiting on receipt of the replacement parts.

Since the parts were already supposed to be in stock, I wonder if they needed a newer hardware revision to address this issue.

I was offered a refurbished scope, which I declined. Sounds like the refurbished scope would be older than mine and may have the same hardware issue.

I was told about a week ago that Rigol was getting the new replacement board in stock the next day. I haven't heard anything since. Waiting continues.

In the mean time, I am enjoying the DSOX3000T that I bought after I mailed the DS2000 back to Rigol for service. I had a feeling this would be a protracted ordeal...

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 06:29:46 am »
I had similar issues with completely glitched traces and general crashiness. Took a couple months to get it back.
No telling what to expect for long term longevity.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 08:19:37 am »
Yes, it"ll be the MB. Had a 70 MHz Siglent do a very similar thing, ran all the Service manual tests and it tested OK even with a corrupted display.  :-/O
This one had a total Yellow/blue screen (2 channels on), just a mismash of colour and amplitude.
Siglent kindly sent me the replacement MB and problem was solved. :phew:

It was a unit I traded as my customer wished to upgrade and is now it sitting on my bench until somebody needs a near new cheap DSO.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 12:36:36 am »
Good news! Scope is on its way back to me.

Re: Rigol RMA DS2072A, RMA #8222  Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Hello Dustin,

Your scope is shipping back today via UPS: 1Z{redacted}.

Best regards,

Steve Huss

Applications Engineer
Rigol Technologies
10200 SW Allen Blvd. Suite C
Beaverton, OR 97005
503-336-9102

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 12:46:35 am »
Bad news:

Rigol decided to ignore the shipping address I explicitly gave them, and shipped the scope back to a location that can't receive packages.

I told them the proper address over the phone, and included two pieces of paper with the correct address, circled and starred!

Excellent.

Edit: Rigol changed the delivery address for me. Hopefully all is well now.  8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:37:42 pm by dadler »

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 02:32:24 am »
Received the scope back. Total turn-around time: 6 weeks.

Came back with all of the trial time used up (maybe they uh, burned it in for me?).

Also came back with some scratches on the front bezel. Neat.

Seems to work, haven't torture tested it yet.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 03:07:30 am »
I feel for you that sucks.  :palm:

Someone remind me to get a used Tek DSO they come burned in and pres scratched.
Less hassle.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 04:12:22 am »
Received the scope back. Total turn-around time: 6 weeks.

Came back with all of the trial time used up (maybe they uh, burned it in for me?).

Also came back with some scratches on the front bezel. Neat.

Seems to work, haven't torture tested it yet.

Wow. Completely unprofessional.  :palm:

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 06:47:20 am »
The scratches aren't that bad, it appears they used some sort of prying tool to remove the front panel knobs from the rotary encoders, leaving a line/scratch/impression next to several of them.

The screen was dirty as well (it left my possession spotless). I used some screen cleaner and microfiber cloth, and was able to clean the marks off.

Just glad to have my scope back, in seemingly working order.  :phew:

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 01:54:05 pm »
The scratches aren't that bad, it appears they used some sort of prying tool to remove the front panel knobs from the rotary encoders, leaving a line/scratch/impression next to several of them.

The screen was dirty as well (it left my possession spotless). I used some screen cleaner and microfiber cloth, and was able to clean the marks off.

Just glad to have my scope back, in seemingly working order.  :phew:
You would think they would use a plastic wedge to do that..
 :palm:
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 02:03:07 pm »
Gives you a clue how filthy rigol "repair facility" is , and how often their 'yingineers' (not) wash their hands.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf