Author Topic: Rigol DS2102 doesn't boot after broken heatsink clip or failed firmware update  (Read 6635 times)

Offline dkozelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello,

My Rigol DS2102 has stopped booting. The power light strobes correctly and all front panel lights come on but the display shows nothing and the lights stay on.

I haven't used the scope in several months but have done the firmware upgrade process once. I don't remember if I left the scope in failed update state unfortunately, I don't think so. Today I noticed that there was a rattling inside of the scope and it is out of warranty so before powering it up I opened it, soldered in the mounting point that had broken loose, and reattached the heatsink clip. I do not believe that there was any ESD event or damage done during the repair.

I have tried to start a firmware update to 00.03.01.00.04 and to 00.02.01.00.03 but neither was successful. I have also tried the reset procedure so elegantly described by Rigol as press the power button and quickly press the sixth grey button on the left side of the screen multiple times. That too has had no effect.

Does anyone have any advice on steps to try? Is there a bootloader mode that I could see via USB or some header on the board? I don't have a blackfin JTAG, but do have a few other ones around that might work.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:10:36 am by dkozel »

Offline Owen

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DS2074 no longer boots after fixing broken heatsink clip
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:48:00 pm »
I've updated mine a week ago and had the same issue while switching from v1 to v3, it didn't show anything and the led were all on. I've updated it once again and holded the sixth grey button until it's showed up the Rigol boot screen and booted as normal. There's a link in dave's "Rigol jitter"-Thread from Rigol US where you can download the lastest firmware and an update instruction. Just follow the steps including step no 9. "Special Note for DS2000/DS2000A users". It's importend to do it while first booting otherwise it will be still that hang up - mode.

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:09 pm »
Hi,

Have you checked all connections?
Also, did you tried to flash the firmware in bootloader mode (double help press at bootup stage)?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:57 pm »
I'm trying to flash the firmware now. Owen, your post gives me hope. I can't seem to get it into the bootloader update mode. Did you just do the boot then help button (once? twice?)?

Offline Owen

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:21:11 pm »
Did you just do the boot then help button (once? twice?)?

No, I just did step 1 to 9 from Rigol's "firmware upgrade procudure" pdf, except 9.2 because nothing has been scrambled.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:38:31 pm »
I've found the PDF and given it a number of tries. There's no 9.2 though so maybe I have a different version? Could you link me to the one you used?

Thanks!

Offline Owen

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:52:17 pm »
I've found the PDF and given it a number of tries. There's no 9.2 though so maybe I have a different version? Could you link me to the one you used?

Thanks!

I've used the "DS2000 DS4000 DS6000 firmware upgrade procedure.pdf" from user RigolTechUSA: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg578208/#msg578208 ... It's acutally noted as "Step 9 ... 1)" in there. But as noted I didn't "pressed the button again and again" I simply holded it down.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:45 pm »
That *is* a newer version than the one I was working off of, but the initial steps are the same. No luck unfortunately.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:08:32 pm »
Hydrawerk, Thanks for the recommendation. I've reached out and hopefully he'll have something else to try. Has anyone successfully written new firmware over JTAG? Hmm... research to do.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 03:04:24 am »
Here's a progress update. First, I tried again all the steps mentioned before for doing the bootloader update. Here's a video of a series of recent tries demonstrating the current state of the scope.

I've also been gathering info required to get JTAG working. Attached is a sketch with the pinout of the DS2K JTAG header and my Segger J-Link JTAG adapter. I've installed the bfin toolkit (64 bit version) under 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04. That seems to be running fine and detects the Segger. I haven't yet had a successful detection of the blackfin processor. I'm not using pull-up resistors and instead have a 3.3v reference from a different header run into the VTref pin of the Segger and the SRST line connected to the RESET of the Segger as shown on the diagram.

When running bfin-jtag with `cable jlink` and `frequency 5000000` then `detect` no devices are found and the message that TDO is held at 0. I'm not sure what that is caused by so I'll be revisiting the JTAG setup tomorrow evening.

If anyone has any advice or comments they'd be most welcome. I'll post an update tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf