Author Topic: Rigol DS4000 firmware version  (Read 11673 times)

Offline Matthias ToussaintTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DS4000 firmware version
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:55:41 pm »
Does anybody know what the latest firmware version for the DS4000 series is (and maybe a changelog)? I can't find this information in the web and Rigol seems to ignore my firmware request

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DS4000 firmware version
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:24:28 pm »

From the Rigol website:

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/form/1579/0012:d-0001/1/index.htm

DS2000 FW-Version: 00.01.01
DS4000 FW-Version: 00.02.00
DS6000 FW-Version: 00.01.04
DSA815 FW-Version: 00.01.07
DSA1000 FW-Version: 00.01.16
DG4000 FW-Version: 00.01.06
DG5000 FW-Version: 01.01.08

Offline Cdngreybeard

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »
I filled in the firmware request form on the rigolna.com website and got the version 02.x upgrade for my DS4000 by email the next day. 

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 09:03:07 pm »
Rigol seems to ignore my firmware request

Your not the only one.

I filled in the firmware request form on the rigolna.com website and got the version 02.x upgrade for my DS4000 by email the next day. 

You are the only one.

Offline Matthias ToussaintTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:32:47 pm »
And what would be the changelog (what got fixed)?

Offline Cdngreybeard

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »
I was told in the email from RIGOL that a change log would be in the zip file, but there was no such file.  I haven't had time to run a comprehesive test of the scope yet, but if you have any specific concerns, I may be able test them for you.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:52:24 am »
Hi!

I was told in the email from RIGOL that a change log would be in the zip file, but there was no such file.  I haven't had time to run a comprehesive test of the scope yet, but if you have any specific concerns, I may be able test them for you.

I've requested the latest firmware for the DS4000 and got it the next day (German support). I also asked myself what they might have changed, could not find a changelog, too.

But: when I've got the previous update, I noticed that in cursor TRACK mode the values did not appear automatically - you had to activate one of the other cursor modes before  - at least this annoying bug has been fixed!

Then I think there are two new measurements implemented: "Area" and "PeriodArea" appear in menu "MENU" on the left of the screen.

And just found: now cursors can be used in XY-mode for measuring!

Not too bad, if you ask me.

Kind regards
gunb

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:58:21 am »
Hi,
Asked the european support for the update and a changelog, got the update after a day or two (about week ago) but no changelog - bummer. Haven't yet installed it though. I can understand why they don't just put up the firmware files for download but why they keep the changelog "secret" is beyond me.

If anyone's managed to get a changleog, prefferably including all updates it would be nice to see it, thanks!

/Henrik.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:22:38 pm »
Hi,
Asked the european support for the update and a changelog, got the update after a day or two (about week ago) but no changelog - bummer. Haven't yet installed it though. I can understand why they don't just put up the firmware files for download but why they keep the changelog "secret" is beyond me.

If anyone's managed to get a changleog, prefferably including all updates it would be nice to see it, thanks!

/Henrik.

Can't understand why an update should not be installed since there's no changelog. Of course, it would be better to get it, but even without a changelog the improvements I've described above are good reason to update the device.

Works fine.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »
I'm not saying I'm not going to install just because there's no changelog - I will. On the other, hand if the update doesn't contain any improvements that I find usefull why bother with it. I just don't understand why they don't publish the changelog, I'm sure there IS one.

Thanks for the notes on the imrprovements you found, those are the first ones I've come across regarding what's been changed.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 07:37:23 pm »
I'm not saying I'm not going to install just because there's no changelog - I will. On the other, hand if the update doesn't contain any improvements that I find usefull why bother with it. I just don't understand why they don't publish the changelog, I'm sure there IS one.

Thanks for the notes on the imrprovements you found, those are the first ones I've come across regarding what's been changed.

OK.

I agree with you, I was also searching for the changelog. They've done it well for the DSA815 but not for the DS4000 series. Maybe they've simply forgotten to add it to the archive?!?!
But, as described, I was positive surprised when I noticed that they've fixed all the issues that I've found / missed the version before - RIGOL seems to listen to customers.

Offline Cdngreybeard

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »
I've been testing the firmware release 02.x for the DS4000 and in addition to the cursor information box bug fix, there is also a major improvement to the I2C hardware decode presentation.

I rarely use the other hardware decode protocols, but the I2C hardware decode option is now working as it should.  Before the fix, as you looked at data further and further out in time and as you zoomed in for a closer examination of the data, the decoded data would drift out of sync with the actual data making it difficult to impossible to align the decoded presentation with the actual data.  This is now fixed.  Before the fix, if the presentation was set to ASCII, ASCII data outside of the alphanumeric range was shown as an '*'.  It now displays all data with its ASCII equivalent.  There are other improvements to the hardware decoders, but it's easier to see the fixes for yourself.  Anyone using the hardware decoding options should upgrade now!

As a curious thought, I wonder if the hardware decoding improvements are related to the impending MSO4000 release

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 08:33:30 pm »
Thank you, that was exactly what I was hoping for!
Did you notice any speed increase of the decoder?
Now I'll upgrade ASAP.

Offline Cdngreybeard

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 08:44:38 pm »
The I2C decoding is definitely faster.  I'm not noticing the decoder updates slowing down as I move out in time from the start of signal acquisition.  The event table seems to be grouping data better as well.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 08:13:19 pm »
The I2C decoding is definitely faster.  I'm not noticing the decoder updates slowing down as I move out in time from the start of signal acquisition.  The event table seems to be grouping data better as well.

Cool!

Thx for the information.

Offline farrell

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 09:14:39 pm »
I have a DS4014 and sometimes channel #1 powers on in 50 Ohm Mode. The channel menu doesn't let me check it back to 1M Ohm Mode, but power cycling or simply unplugging the probe and plugging it back in fixes the problem. I am using the stock Rigol passive probes. Anyone else experience this problem? Did a firmware upgrade fix it?

-Farrell

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 05:08:45 am »
I think I've had that happen to me once. Unplugging the probe "unlocked" the setting allowing the 50ohm termination to be switched off. Never power cycled it. Can't remeber if this was with the 00.03-SP1 version which came with the scope or with the 01.00 version, I still haven't installed 02.00.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 07:20:17 am »
I have a DS4014 and sometimes channel #1 powers on in 50 Ohm Mode. The channel menu doesn't let me check it back to 1M Ohm Mode, but power cycling or simply unplugging the probe and plugging it back in fixes the problem. I am using the stock Rigol passive probes. Anyone else experience this problem? Did a firmware upgrade fix it?

-Farrell

When I've bought the DS4012 for more than 1 year ago I've noticed that the probe on channel two was not detected as 1:10 automatically at power on. It was one of the first firmware releases. Reported that issue to Rigol support, got an update - problem solved. Which firmware do you have?

Kind rgds
gunb

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 06:19:41 pm »
Here is the "changelog" I received with the 02.00 update for my DS4012.  It has a bunch of Chinese in it, but you can see a fair amount about bug fixes and improvements. Interesting reading.
Rigol North America has been great with support.  They responded to my request in less than a day with the firmware, and were very helpful.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »
Thanks for posting that!
Tonight I finally installed the 00.02.00.00.04 version and to my delight the RS232 decoder is a lot better. It feels faster, the decoded data stays aligned with the trace when moved horizontally and the "sweep" doesn't stop/pause when the decoded data is updated on screen (as outlined in the changelog). I like it.

Not sure it's needed but I uninstalled the options using SCPI, updated the firmware and reinstalled the options, seems to work fine.

Offline mwilson

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »
Not sure it's needed but I uninstalled the options using SCPI, updated the firmware and reinstalled the options, seems to work fine.

FWIW, I upgraded from a 00.01 firmware to the 00.02 firmware and didn't uninstall my license key. No problems, the options still showed official version installed after the upgrade (I used "BAA9" as my options when generating the license key, on the theory that that should be the "minimal" option code to enable the currently-released add-on options, so it would be harder for future firmware versions to distinguish "good" licenses from "bad" licenses that just enable all option bits whether or not they control anything)

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 09:37:27 pm »
Yep, I used BAA9 when generating the key for mine as well.
I wonder if the bandwidth option which indeed seems to be lurking in there somewhere will be found....time will tell.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 11:08:56 am »
Tonight I finally installed the 00.02.00.00.04 version and to my delight the RS232 decoder is a lot better...
Hi, can anyone please upload DS4k FW 00.02.00.00.04?
Thanks in advance.

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:04 pm »
Unfortunately, the firmware file is too large at 3.2 megabytes to post here. :-\
AndersAnd:  I sent you a PM.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »
Unfortunately, the firmware file is too large at 3.2 megabytes to post here. :-\
Thanks,

cybernet uses http://www.filedropper.com to upload firmwares, that seems to work well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf