Author Topic: Rigol Ds4000 series ? e.o.l? worth considering?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline carl0sTopic starter

• Supporter
Rigol Ds4000 series ? e.o.l? worth considering?
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:06:33 pm »
Do you think the DS4000 series is coming to EOL?

Here in the UK nobody seems to have them in stock.

I've been looking at a step up from my DS1104Z (upgraded from DS1054z). I'd like CAN decode, and a less laggy overall performance.

It looks like the price of the DS4000 is comparable to the other scope of interest (RTB2024) except that the RTB2024 would need almost another £1k in upgrades to get decode options.

What do you think? I know the DS4000 has been around quite a while, but, I'm not sure why it's never mentioned alongside the likes of the RTB2024? I think it's assumed that the DS4000 is expensive, and the RTB2024 is '(high end) entry level', but that's not what the pricing says.
--
Carl

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol Ds4000 series ? e.o.l? worth considering?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 09:14:19 pm »
DS4014 can be trivially unlocked to 500 MHz..
Also for decodes, that are free at the moment too... It had 4GS/sec and 160 MS memory depth and segmented memory..
It is very good as a fast scope for general use.
It has very goot triggers, including protocol triggers.

It is also old design, doesn't have any search in memory or segments except mask.
It cannot compare to the new generation in user interface and analisys.

It all depends what you do..

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 09:47:55 pm »
DS4014 can be trivially unlocked to 500 MHz..
Also for decodes, that are free at the moment too... It had 4GS/sec and 160 MS memory depth and segmented memory..
It is very good as a fast scope for general use.
It has very goot triggers, including protocol triggers.

It is also old design, doesn't have any search in memory or segments except mask.
It cannot compare to the new generation in user interface and analisys.

It all depends what you do..

Yes the Search (lack of) would be the same as my DS1104Z i suppose. and the user interface the same.

So really, the benefits of the RTB2024 would be the better user interface.

I think I'll just wait and see what Rigol bring out next. The Keysights, and R&S are all too expensive when you consider the price for decode options etc.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:28:28 pm by carl0s »
--
Carl

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 10:04:17 pm »
carl0s
Could one of the new 4ch Siglents meet your needs ?
Decoders free and Search and Navigate features all standard.
https://www.siglentamerica.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds1000x-e-series-super-phosphor-oscilloscopes/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »
Do you think the DS4000 series is coming to EOL?
Since Rigol said we can expect scopes using their advanced new ASIC to start appearing at the end of 2017, it seems reasonable to assume the DS4000 series is not long for this world.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:50:48 pm by coppice »

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:49:27 pm »
carl0s
https://www.siglentamerica.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds1000x-e-series-super-phosphor-oscilloscopes/

Yes they are of interest. I would probably spend a bit more and get the 2xxx model though I think. I'll try to wait a bit though as competition is finally hotting up in this market.
--
Carl

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:28:51 pm »
carl0s

Yes they are of interest. I would probably spend a bit more and get the 2xxx model though I think. I'll try to wait a bit though as competition is finally hotting up in this market.
At this time the SDS2000X series don't have free decoder and lack Search and Navigate front panel features. Their Trigger on the other hand can find this sort of stuff but you only get the first result it triggers on.
Sure, you get the 2Gsa/s and 140 Mpts memory over the 1000X-E 1Gsa/s but this is heading into territory that the average user doesn't need.

I did a quick walk through the SDS1104X-E Search feature in a recent post FYI:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1370717/#msg1370717
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 11:33:06 pm »
carl0s

At this time the SDS2000X series don't have free decoder and lack Search and Navigate front panel features. Their Trigger on the other hand can find this sort of stuff but you only get the first result it triggers on.
Sure, you get the 2Gsa/s and 140 Mpts memory over the 1000X-E 1Gsa/s but this is heading into territory that the average user doesn't need.

I did a quick walk through the SDS1104X-E Search feature in a recent post FYI:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1370717/#msg1370717

Interesting - thank you!
--
Carl

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 12:44:10 am »
I'd wait for what gets released in the next few months. I don't have any inside information but I have a feeling there are some interesting oscilloscopes coming up.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 12:54:06 am »
This year i had confirmation by two manufacturers they will have news this spring.

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 10:25:04 am »
If it's bandwidth and memory you want and you're not uncomfortable (for practial or other reasons) to "hack" the scope I think the DS4000 STILL brings a lot of bang for the back. You get a 4GSs/s scope with a bandwidth well above 500MHz, 140Mpts of memory and all the decoders and triggers. But yes, it's at least 6 years old so certainly not new and will soon be superceeded by the new models but my guess is that those models will A) be (or try to be) more high end and therefor more expensive than current models and B) not easily hackable.

There will always be something new "coming soon" and once it's out it's just that - new - likely having some issues that may or may not impact your specific use case so you wait around to see what issues boils to the surface and what fixes are provided by the manufacturer and once the product is "mature" you start to think about if it's really worth getting "this old model" when there's likely a new one around the corner....

So really, the benefits of the RTB2024 would be the better user interface.
Don't forget the 10bit ADC and the fast web-UI (if that's useful to you).

I have a DS4000 and as a hobby user I'm generally happy with it considering it was - by far - the best deal I could get back in 2012 and at the time there wasn't even a hack for it. It's died on me once but luckily I was able to repair it. I would've replaced it with RTB2k had I been allowed in on the introductory deal but unfortunately R&S reserved that for a specific part of the world and at list price, without a hack it's just too expensive - for me - YMMV of course.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 04:02:51 pm »
Well, DSOX2000 and all those Keysight MegaZoom IV scopes are based on an ASIC introduced back in 2011. There might be new scopes coming...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf