Author Topic: Rigol DS4000 series VS Keysight 3000T Better Value?  (Read 48550 times)

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS4000 series VS Keysight 3000T Better Value?
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2015, 10:21:12 pm »
Backordered means they are selling too many, and want to spread the profit out over a period so the beancounters will be happier without a spike.

I was wondering which period would work for that. It can't be monthly as the 4th is too early in the month. Quarterly would be Oct, Nov, Dec wouldn't it? Maybe they just ran out of plastic bags to put the bit of paper with the key into :)

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2015, 10:24:03 pm »
On a side note, Keysight is saying that the bandwidth upgrade license code that I ordered is "backordered" until September.

I have no idea how a license code can be backordered.  :-DD

As other said, it's mostly to spread the revenue.

That LeCroy does seem like a nice scope. What options does it come with? I only went for the Agilent due to the option bundle. Are they bandwidth upgradable (via software or mail-in retrofit)?

Bandwidth is software upgradeable, however I doubt that this makes any sense, for this or any other scope. You're really much better off by buying the bandwidth you need in the foreseeable future now, and when you find you need more then sell the old scope and buy a new one with the better bandwidth.

Again, here you go veering off track with your absolutist statements. Are you aware not everyone has the same use case? How about that fact that in some instances the scope+bandwidth upgrade is no more than, and in some cases less than the scope with higher bandwidth preinstalled?

Everyone is not you, and it's notable that you give strident and arrogant advice, without ever asking what the scope will be used for.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2015, 05:37:51 am »
Bandwidth is software upgradeable, however I doubt that this makes any sense, for this or any other scope. You're really much better off by buying the bandwidth you need in the foreseeable future now, and when you find you need more then sell the old scope and buy a new one with the better bandwidth.

Again, here you go veering off track with your absolutist statements.

It seems someone is out for trolling again.

Are you aware not everyone has the same use case? How about that fact that in some instances the scope+bandwidth upgrade is no more than, and in some cases less than the scope with higher bandwidth preinstalled?

I guess you're right if your "use case" (a term you don't seem to understand, really) involves spending as much money as possible.  :palm:

I agree that in some cases it can be cheaper to buy a lower bw scope plus a bw upgrade instead of the higher bw model. But that's because when bought together with the scope the bw upgrades are normally much cheaper than bought later.

But that doesn't change the fact that buying a lower bw scope now and planing to bw upgrade say one or two years down the line is rarely economical, as the upgrade will very likely be much more than the difference between the amount you'd get for selling your old scope and buying the higher bw model instead. Of course you might get lucky and the bw upgrade will be dirt cheap, but everyone who knows T&M companies knows that this is unlikely.

Of course you're absolutely free to ignore my advice and gamble on the upgrade being cheaper down the line, and frankly, I can't care less if you do. It's your choice.

Everyone is not you, and it's notable that you give strident and arrogant advice, without ever asking what the scope will be used for.

Yeah, whatever.  :blah: If you don't like what I write or my advice then ignore me, simple as that. A five year old would be capable of that but obviously not you as you're clearly out to troll. Of course you could try to counter my points if you can argue why my advice is wrong (that's called a "discussion" btw) but I can clearly see that's beyond you. It's clear you can't even get the basics right  :palm:

On the other side I have to say I somehow feel honored having attracted my personal troll, even though you're pretty much below the minimum intellectual standard I expect from my trolls. That means because of sloppy work like not checking basic facts before attacking you only get a :--

Good luck next time!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:43:36 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2015, 05:31:09 pm »
On a more positive note....

Quote from: Tequipment
Good morning Dustin,

Please be advised another shipment is going out today for the DSOXT3APPBNDL. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

<redacted>
Customer Service Department

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2015, 07:12:46 pm »
HAH goddamn this headache.

They sent me a license certificate for the 2000X series. Wtf?

This entire ordeal is so much fun!

Tequipment has been great, but their supplier Transcat should be avoided at all costs. These guys screw *everything* up.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:03:09 pm by dadler »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2015, 12:11:27 am »
So, Still haven't received my bandwidth upgrade nor the app bundle license.

HOWEVER, all is not lost.

I have received two, yes two, free gifts from the Keysight trigger challenge! This is "time sensitive material", baby!

I wish the layers of distribution worked as well as the marketing arm of Keysight. I would have received the licenses before I even requested them!

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:23 am »

That's pretty poor, especially considering you're waiting for some software codes.

If I were you I'd give Tequipment 5 days to sort it out, otherwise I'd return the scope and buy it from somewhere else.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2015, 08:33:32 pm »
So Tequipment got TransCat to overnight the correct license certificate to me (why we are mailing paper, the world will  never know).

I just activated it and it works. The options are now permanently enabled.

However, I have a question and wonder if anyone knows the answer.

When the scope first arrived, it came with the MEMUP option enabled. This is because the 3000T series of scopes is supposed to come with the (earth-shattering) 4MB of memory standard.

When I turned on the trial options (as the DSOXT3APPBNDL wasn't installed, and I wanted to try out the options), the MEMUP option disappeared to be replaced with "memMax*", with the * indicating that it is a trial option that will expire in a month.

Anyone know if when the trial expires, I'm going to go back to 2MB of memory on this scope? I would have think they wouldn't even have activated the "memMax*" trial option, as it seems to have overridden the MEMUP option that came pre-installed.

BTW: Keysight contacted me via PM and offered to get this all sorted out via email if I continued to have issues with the license codes. They get a big  :-+ from me!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »
My experience is, that the scope will fall back to exactly how it was, before you activated the trial license.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2015, 12:47:22 am »
I am glad everything is working out for you, dadler!

So Tequipment got TransCat to overnight the correct license certificate to me (why we are mailing paper, the world will  never know).

We have a similar scenario with our software licenses. In general distributors have license to sell physical goods only and not electronic "soft" licenses. In our case I prepare a DVD master copy which is replicated and packaged with its software code printed in card stock paper.

There is a possibility that what happened in your case was a sudden demand increase in software codes, which depleted the distributor's software license card stock. If that was the case, I am pretty sure someone at Keysight was scrambling (just like me at a times) to place an order with their publisher.

Yeah, all this is silly in the internet era, but...  |O
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2015, 11:13:08 pm »
An engineer from Keysight contacted me via PM, took my order information, and contacted the account manager at Newark regarding my "backordered by Keysight" bandwidth upgrade.

Guess what: Once he contacted them, I immediately got a shipping notice from Newark.

I had spoken with no less than 7 different people in various departments, and was told unilaterally that Keysight were the ones that had backordered the item, and it would not be available until Sept 4th (Or August 24th, or some time in between, depends who you got on the phone).

So Keysight gets one-hundred thumbs up from me  :-+ :-+ :-+. They read these forums and really do want their products represented in a positive light.

In other news, the scope has grown on me and I have begun to really like the touch interface. It seemed gimmicky at first, but now I don't know if I can go back to a non-touch scope without feeling a sense of loss.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2015, 09:59:29 am »

HOWEVER, all is not lost.

I have received two, yes two, free gifts from the Keysight trigger challenge! This is "time sensitive material", baby!

I wish the layers of distribution worked as well as the marketing arm of Keysight. I would have received the licenses before I even requested them!

I think I have 4 or so, gave them away. The wife is already poking fun at me every time she brings one of those envelopes :(

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2015, 06:29:31 am »
AHAHAH--this is ridiculous!

I received the "bandwidth upgrade" from Newark, and all they included was the "200 mhz" stickers. There is absolutely NO entitlement certificate!

Nothing!

I will *never* purchase a single thing from Newark ever again, and I urge all of you to avoid them at all costs.

They are an entirely joke organization.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2015, 07:22:15 am »
I will *never* purchase a single thing from Newark ever again, and I urge all of you to avoid them at all costs.
Bet you will.

They aren't as bad as think - like any of these organisations they just aren't that good at 'complex' things.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2015, 09:27:16 am »
Complex, like putting the item you paid for in the package they sent you?

They sent me an empty envelope, other than a piece of paper that says "Follow the instructions on the entitlement certificate that you received in the envelope with this sticker sheet"...

I'm tired of dealing with these folks. I've spoken with them several times on the phone, talked to a different person every time. Each one was cordial, but none of them were helpful or assisted in resolving any issues. I haven't even listed half of the issues in this thread.

Anyways, I guess "never" isn't a particularly useful qualifier, but at this point I don't see myself ever purchasing from them again. Too many headaches, my time is worth more than all of this. argh.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:42:55 am by dadler »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2015, 11:24:44 am »
Anyways, I guess "never" isn't a particularly useful qualifier, but at this point I don't see myself ever purchasing from them again. Too many headaches, my time is worth more than all of this. argh.

Things like these are the reason I try to avoid resellers as much as possible, even for personal purchases (unless it's stuff like Rigol or Siglent which can't be purchased directly). They generally add nothing to the process and in the worst case make things go worse.

But I have to say I admire your patience  ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:26:54 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »
I never had any problems with a Keysight reseller in Germany for Hardware.
But software is a different issue, almost every time there was a problem.
However, as soon as I got Keysight involved, the issues had been taken care of in a quick and easy way.
I think Software should not be handled by resellers at all.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2015, 05:13:57 pm »
I never had any problems with a Keysight reseller in Germany for Hardware.
But software is a different issue, almost every time there was a problem.
However, as soon as I got Keysight involved, the issues had been taken care of in a quick and easy way.
I think Software should not be handled by resellers at all.

Yeah, I wanted to go through Keysight for the software, but was redirected to a distributor after filling out the online quote form.

I still want the MSO option, maybe I'll try TestEquity. I also got a quote from them. Newark has better pricing, but it seems to be smoke-and-mirrors.

I should have just waited it out and got the MSO-X 3024T instead of trying to upgrade the lower model  |O Had no idea it would be this difficult.

I contacted the Keysight engineer that helped me in the first place, and he is going to try to see if he can get it sorted out. Keysight  :-+

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2015, 07:07:17 pm »
Wow, Keysight really, really came through.

The two engineers I was in contact with gave me the bandwidth license directly, side-stepping Newark and their poor service.

Beyond that, I am floored, as they gave me a bonus for my trouble that leaves me without words.

At the risk of sounding cheesy, I've never had such a positive experience with a vendor.

Keysight has overwhelmingly reinforced their positive image in my mind. They read these forums and truly do care about their customers and the perception of their products.

Ok, calming down now, backing off all of the superlatives. Keysight now gets one-thousand thumbs up from me  :-+ :-+ :-+ +997

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf