Author Topic: Test equipment used in a school lab video.  (Read 5385 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Test equipment used in a school lab video.
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:04:16 am »
In this video are different types of test equipment

The professor lists some equipment:
Tektronix TDS1002 oscilloscope
B&K 4040a signal generator  (maybe)

At about 10 secs in the upper left corner is a soldering station.  What is it?

At 17s  right side - is this a PSU ?

34s - notice all the scopes on the upper shelf?  Any ideas why they are so high?

47s - left center looks like a LCD, in 2012 he did not use these so could this be a tablet?
47s - under the "tablet" is a box with a green light.  Seems most have this - I guess it is something to do with the AVR - does anyone know what this is?

52s look at that think in front of the student across from him.  There looks to be several of these and it could be this

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Analog-Digital-Electronic-Trainer/dp/B00HVX08EM/ref=sr_1_14?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1440470456&sr=1-14&keywords=breadboard

or something similar.   It is expensive and as far as I can tell no one is using theirs.  Any idea why not?

1:04  a good view of the box with the green LED and the PSU.

1:49  I do see two wires from the expensive breadboard

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: Test equipment used in a school lab video.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:24:51 am »
The entire ECE4760 course lectures from 2012 are available online if you'd like to watch them.  They used an ATmega644 on a STK500 AVR Starter Kit for the course.  Cornell had a PCB breakout board made for the ATmega644 that the students could buy and assemble themselves.  That way they didn't need to disassemble their projects between labs because the STK500s were shared with other students.  It appears most of the students decided to buy their own.

The power supply is a triple output Agilent E3630A DC Power Supply

At the end of the video you can see three Weller Analog Soldering Stations, WES51, on the table along the left side

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:29:06 am by MarkF »

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:08:52 am »
The entire ECE4760 course lectures from 2012 are available online if you'd like to watch them.  They used an ATmega644 on a STK500 AVR Starter Kit for the course.  Cornell had a PCB breakout board made for the ATmega644 that the students could buy and assemble themselves.  That way they didn't need to disassemble their projects between labs because the STK500s were shared with other students.  It appears most of the students decided to buy their own.

The power supply is a triple output Agilent E3630A DC Power Supply

At the end of the video you can see three Weller Analog Soldering Stations, WES51, on the table along the left side

So it looks like they have:

Tek TDS1002 oscilloscope   $1000
B&K 4040a signal generator  $481
Agilent E3630A DC Power Supply  $495
STK500 AVR Starter Kit    $86
Custom PCB breakout board   $priceless

~ $2000 for their setup

thank you
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:15:27 am »
I found a link to their custom Prototype Board for Atmel Mega644.

Offline unitedatoms

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:50 am »
This course is about C by book and GCC. For me it seems to have very little to do with EE.
Interested in all design related projects no matter how simple, or complicated, slow going or fast, failures or successes

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 06:45:46 am »
This course is about C by book and GCC. For me it seems to have very little to do with EE.

Then you need to watch some of the lectures!

This is an embedded EE course.  You don't have students in a lab with scopes, power supplies and microcontrollers just to teach C with the GCC complier.  The students learn how to use microcontrollers to communicate with various hardware components.  Hence, they each have a 4 week project building hardware.

Offline unitedatoms

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:01:32 am »

Then you need to watch some of the lectures!

This is an embedded EE course.  You don't have students in a lab with scopes, power supplies and microcontrollers just to teach C with the GCC complier.  The students learn how to use microcontrollers to communicate with various hardware components.  Hence, they each have a 4 week project building hardware.

Embedded EE ? May be you mean Embedded Software Engineering.
Interested in all design related projects no matter how simple, or complicated, slow going or fast, failures or successes

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:04:55 am »
Tektronix have some bundles if your looking to kit out.
http://info.tek.com/as-build-your-teksmartlab-sale.html

Although im sure people around here would sale not to bother.
Not sure what discount an institution would get if putting a set together for a whole class.

I know my local school deal directly with them, although the price for the new RSA306 usb spec analyser wasnt worth getting excited over.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:32 am »
The soldering stations are Weller WES51.

In this video are different types of test equipment

The professor lists some equipment:
Tektronix TDS1002 oscilloscope
B&K 4040a signal generator  (maybe)

At about 10 secs in the upper left corner is a soldering station.  What is it?

At 17s  right side - is this a PSU ?

34s - notice all the scopes on the upper shelf?  Any ideas why they are so high?

47s - left center looks like a LCD, in 2012 he did not use these so could this be a tablet?
47s - under the "tablet" is a box with a green light.  Seems most have this - I guess it is something to do with the AVR - does anyone know what this is?

52s look at that think in front of the student across from him.  There looks to be several of these and it could be this

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Analog-Digital-Electronic-Trainer/dp/B00HVX08EM/ref=sr_1_14?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1440470456&sr=1-14&keywords=breadboard

or something similar.   It is expensive and as far as I can tell no one is using theirs.  Any idea why not?

1:04  a good view of the box with the green LED and the PSU.

1:49  I do see two wires from the expensive breadboard

thanks

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:28 pm »
I found a link to their custom Prototype Board for Atmel Mega644.

Boy this is a surprise.  On another post I asked why did people think he switched to a PIC32 using a Microstick II.  This could be the major reason.  My guess students in this level of class would not be happy building this board to get to their labs.

Can I assume the PIC32 Microstick II takes the place of all 2 or 3 parts in this link:

- Custom build by students prototype board
- AVRISPmkII programmer

(somewhere he says AVRISPmkII programmer OR STK500)

I had assumed the prototype board was from Atmel.

From the video it looks like AVRISPmkII are what they are using.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf