Author Topic: Rigol DS4014E hackable?  (Read 5124 times)

Offline SharpEarsTopic starter

• Supporter
Rigol DS4014E hackable?
« on: October 14, 2016, 03:36:11 am »
I know that the DS4014 can be hacked all the way to 500 MHz and all options on, but would like to know if the even cheaper DS4014E can be hacked to a DS4054 as well?

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Rigol DS4014E hackable?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:12:58 am »
you can try the ds4000 hacks : http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol-103d/
but you need a ds4000e to try it...

Offline petreza

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:24:02 pm »
any luck with this?

Offline airlomba

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:17:16 am »
Hello,
I just got my hands on a DS4014E but all options are already installed as part as a promotion from Rigol offering all options if the scope is bought before December 31st.
Upgrading BW is not an option as far as I know. However, I am very curious to know if the hardware is the same as the DS4014 one.

Kind regards,
Emmanuel.

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 05:31:55 pm »
Can you open it up and take some photos?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 01:52:59 am »
Well, the first step is probably to try the 500MHz code from the DS4014. If that doesn't work, heat and patience on the warranty sticker to get us a glimpse inside would tell us just how different the hardware is. From there, we could guess whether or not a software-only hack is likely.

I'm as eager for a teardown as everyone else!

Offline airlomba

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 09:58:29 pm »
Hello all,

@ H.O
Sorry my friend, my scope is in its 30 days trial period. I already found some things that I am hating about it: for example, the multipurpose rotary encoder sensitivity that is pure garbage. On some menus it just jumps around, while on others it's usable-ish...
That said, I won't open the scope until I set up my mind about keeping it or sending it back to the vendor.

@jjoonathan
If I decide to keep the scope, I'll surely rip off the label. I mean, if it passes my early-mortality tests, I believe it won't fail during normal usage and then I won't need the waranty.
Meanwhile, where can I find the 500 MHz code? I've looked for it, but didn't find it (it could be my eyes or my keywords). Can you point me a direction? Thank you.

Best regards,
Emmanuel.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 12:49:23 am »
Emmanuel-

over the time, I got to own all three recent models of the Rigol DS / MSO range, a DS1054Z, a DS -> MSO2072A-S, and an MSO4014, and all the multi function / LA encoders are the same PITA... I replaced all of them with detented ones and I'm quite happy with their performance (hacked) since. Yet, disassembly of the DS/MSO 4000 series scopes is somewhat more difficult than with the others since there are screws hidden under the back and (more troublesome) front label stickers. To get access to the encoder(s), both need to be partially peeled off. Gentle application of heat helps a lot.

Of course, a set of photos of the scope's interior would be of great interest many forum members, but I completely understand your point.

Merry Christmas,

Thomas
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:19:09 am by TurboTom »

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 04:11:18 am »
RS39 is the DS4000 "everything" code to plug into riglol, but it wouldn't hurt to read up on the history of how it was found and the way these codes work in general, especially if you need to be able to clear the codes you enter before potentially returning the machine. A more fine-grained approach might be called for in your case.

I second TurboTom's opinion of the encoder detent mod. It really helps.

Even if you don't plan to take advantage of the warranty, I'd still preserve the sticker, at least through your first look at the inside. There could be a major WTF lurking in there, e.g. lack of heatsinks causing early chip death on older DS4k. The known problems like the heat sink have been fixed, but there's plenty of room for unknowns in a new model.

Best,
Jon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf