Author Topic: can you accept the bugs or problems in some low price oscilloscopes?  (Read 15861 times)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: can you accept the bugs or problems in some low price oscilloscopes?
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 05:36:31 am »
No! Do the job right, then sell your product. This crap is all to common these days. Seems like many companies are putting their products on the market before proper testing.

How true. In some way it was better when software was still in EPROMs where rolling out "updates" was much more expensive, so manufacturers had to make sure that at least the worst bugs were stomped out before a product was thrown on the market.

On the other side flash-able firmware makes it much easier to roll out new/improved functionality.

I guess if more customers would reject products with bugs instead of patiently waiting for the manufacturer to fix them (or, as in many cases, not fix them!) then maybe we would see a bit more maturity in early software releases.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: can you accept the bugs or problems in some low price oscilloscopes?
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:10 am »
No! Do the job right, then sell your product. This crap is all to common these days. Seems like many companies are putting their products on the market before proper testing.

How true. In some way it was better when software was still in EPROMs where rolling out "updates" was much more expensive, so manufacturers had to make sure that at least the worst bugs were stomped out before a product was thrown on the market.

On the other side flash-able firmware makes it much easier to roll out new/improved functionality.
Unfortunately even the 'proven brands' also release products ahead of schedule. The original software (V3.3) which came with my Tektronix logic analyser ($10000 for the mainframe alone when new 12 years ago) was terribly slow to use. I can also point out several bugs in my Tektronix TDS5xx/7xx series oscilloscopes. These are not running version 1.0 of their firmware either.

If you buy a new car which happens to be a relatively new iteration of the model then the firmware will contain bugs as well. For example my car (a very popular type & model) was sold in 2006 and yet the firmware is from 2008 fixing problems with mileage and driveability. Usually car dealers do the firmware updates silently without telling the customer. And look how many firmware updates the Tesla Model-S already had:  http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showwiki.php?title=Model+S+software+firmware+changelog

It is true the Chinese have to learn a thing or two about testing a product better before releasing it. OTOH their products are at least 2 times cheaper than the competition from the USA AND they will get it right after a while. As others pointed out Siglent releases alpha versions of new products to their dealers to play with. Ofcourse reviews of these will reveal lots of problems and make the product look flaky. The version which is released for sale is perfectly useable albeit not entirely free of bugs.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:26:52 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf