Author Topic: Perfectly good dinosaurs: Keep, or sell?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline RickBrantTopic starter

• Supporter
Perfectly good dinosaurs: Keep, or sell?
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:39:14 pm »
My "dino" collection includes:

Tek TDS754D digital 4-channel, 2 GS/s, 500 MHz, options 13 (RS232/Centronics i/f), 1F (floppy), HD (hard drive), 2M (2 M/channel record length), 2F (waveform math), 2C (Communications signal analyzer). The CRT has been replaced with an NTSC color LCD screen.

Tek 2465A analog 4-channel, 350 MHz scope

HP 16702 Logic analyzer mainframe with 16534A (digital scope, 2 channels, 2 GS/s, 500 MHz) and 16715A (LA, 167MHz State 667MHz Timing,  2MSa memory  68 channels)

IFR 2390A Spectrum Analyzer (7 kHz-23 GHz) with color LCD screen and tracking generator

I bought this stuff when it cost a lot more than it does now - but I was strongly into the hobby and used and enjoyed it all. These days I really don't need it. I could make do with a much less capable digital scope and a USB logic analyzer.

Certainly the 2465A is redundant here (I should hve sold it the moment I got the TDS), but what of the rest? Resale prices have fallen through the floor. I doubt I could get more than $200-300 for the 2465A, maybe $600 for the TDS (many are going begging on eBay at around $1000), maybe $200 for the logic analyzer, maybe $600 for the SA (they're going begging at $1000+). About enough to buy ONE 100 MHz 4-channel Rigol scope with no LA or SA capability. The weight and bulk of these things doesn't make them cheap to ship either.

What would you do?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:02:01 pm by RickBrant »
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Perfectly good dinosaurs: Keep, or sell?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:18 pm »
Are you short on space? Will making with smaller and more modern equipment (though not necessarily better performing) make your life easier? Less maintenance?

Replacing old functional equipment with new does not make sense financially. And some of these items will definitely be a pain to ship. So any benefit has to come from somewhere else.

I think the logic analyzer might sell for slightly more. The 16534A alone, especially in working state, still sells for well over $100.

As for what I would do, I value performance and quality over age, so I would not replace a TDS754 with a Rigol scope unless for space, money or features.

The following users thanked this post: RickBrant

Offline RickBrantTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 04:11:15 pm »
Hmmm... it might make more sense to sell the LA modules separately, then.
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Offline JLNY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:38:21 pm »
If your plan is to replace them with lower bandwidth units, then as stated your only real advantage in selling them would be clearing space  :-//. If you still use them enough that they are worth more to you than the prices you expect to get, then hang onto them as backups if nothing else.

As you say, analog scope prices are at an all time low right now, but even so a tested and working 2465A would be among the more desirable models. It would probably sell reasonably quickly, but not for much more than what you describe.

The TDS scope is actually a slightly tougher sell IMO due to the higher price point (by hobbyist standards) as well as their reputation for capacitor leakage, so you would need to demonstrate that it is in good working order for it to sell. Probably throw in a few high-res images of the mobo and acquisition board. The LCD retrofit is a definite plus, though.

You might get more than you think for the SA. 23GHz is higher bandwidth than most on the market, and I believe that there are a number of smaller labs and repair houses that might buy used equipment like that back into the professional domain. I recently sold off a 40 year old HP 141T/8555A 18GHz SA and was surprised to learn that the buyer was an instrument repair house who needed it for some kind of defense/aerospace work. Unfortunately most ebay buyers of RF equipment have a heavy bias for HP/Agilent gear.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the logic analyzer market haha. Can't say what prices you would get for that.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:30:51 pm »
 The latter TDS production should not have any leaky capacitor issues. By the time even the TDS754A came along most of these were pretty much history.  Very few electrolytic capacitors were left in these scopes by that time,  and even less in the last, best 'D' variant. Mostly they are only found in the CRT driver board and the power supply. So for the most part this is a non-issue in the TDS754 line - though you might need to emphasize that in an auction description if you wish to sell it, as misinformation abounds.

Personally I'd hang onto the TDS754D, but I'm probably biased,  I have both a TDS754A and a TDS754D.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 07:57:30 pm »
I'd be very happy ith the IFR SA for $600, sadly my honest and generous nature would make me think I'd ripped you off, especially as it has the TG option.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:32:50 pm »
I'm with alm - unless you need the space or the physical size of the kit prevents you from using it I would not sell it. As you have already identified you have much more functionality than you could get in modern equipment for the value of what you have now.

As to a USB logic analyser - don't forget that needs a computer or laptop so the space saving in actual use might not be all that much.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 11:46:31 pm »
If the gear is working perfectly advertise it that way for TOP DOLLAR, local pickup and any test welcome   :-+

There are a lot of techs, hobbyists, valve jockeys and rich EE students that want something WORKING  :clap:  to troubleshoot their projects,
...not another project to troubleshoot  :-[

A retro piece of kit working 100% is worth paying for . Millions of serial FIY cheapskates may disagree  :blah: 
they are not the buyers for your gear, unless you are giving it away and buying them dinner and drinks too   :-*

Don't rule the value of older gear out just because you're over it or believe the new gear hype, or rolling with other/newer/no gear   :-//

On the other hand if it's in ~so so~ shape, advertise it 'as is' and get some real estate back in your working space ASAP

Best of luck  :-+

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:59:29 pm »
Any 7kHz-23 GHz spectrum analyzer Ive ever seen has cost a LOT more than $600.

Spoken as a hobbyist who lusts after them.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:19 am »
If they're working, they're what you use, and they do the job, I don't see a reason to swap for newer unless there's compelling other reasons (data capture options, bench space, power consumption, etc.) to do so.

I personally value a lot of the measurement and math features that come with newer gear, but if you are satisfied with their performance and they're not just gathering dust, I don't see why my or anyone else's preferences really count for anything.  It's really difficult to sell any older unit and expect to be able to buy a new one (or substantially newer used one) with similar or better capability for the same price.... so you're better off expecting that you can get more bandwidth (for example) out of an older unit for the same price.  If you really want or need some kind of feature, then maybe an upgrade is in line and it's a good time to sell off the old one - but you're selling it to recoup some of the cost, unless you're getting a really insane deal or paid nothing for the old gear and sold at a profit, you will never be breaking even on these upgrades.

Offline JXL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 12:17:12 am »
If you're in SF Bay Area, I would be interested in doing a local pickup of the IFR SA.  Please PM me with the price you're will to part with it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf