Author Topic: Other software for scopes?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline JonnyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Other software for scopes?
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:28:11 am »
Siglent easyscope software is buggy as hell and often crashes. Is there any other (windows based) that will interface with the SDS1100 series?

Jonny

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Other software for scopes?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:44:06 pm »
There's a new EasyScopeX version recently available:
EasyScopeX - 1.02.01.19 (Release Date 02.05.18 )
https://www.siglentamerica.com/download/5404/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:10:45 am »
No good. Still won't load screen in virtual panel (Failed to capture) and after failing, waveform display won't refresh. Software and scope need to be restarted to use waveform display (it causes scope or usb connection to fail). Seem to have latest firmware to. Will have to make do I guess. Was hoping to get a sharper resolution waveform view.

Jonny

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:12 am »
No good. Still won't load screen in virtual panel (Failed to capture) and after failing, waveform display won't refresh. Software and scope need to be restarted to use waveform display (it causes scope or usb connection to fail). Seem to have latest firmware to. Will have to make do I guess. Was hoping to get a sharper resolution waveform view.
Exactly which model scope is it ?
Do you have the latest FW installed ?
PC OS too please.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:50 am »
SDS1102CML FW 5.01.02.32  couldn't find newer on their site but then the list of FW is poorly sorted. Shame you can't pick device and get all related info. The only thing I get when I put model in search is the new + version. Running windows 8.

Jonny

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:52:19 am »
SDS1102CML FW 5.01.02.32  couldn't find newer on their site but then the list of FW is poorly sorted. Shame you can't pick device and get all related info.
2.32 is last for non + C*L models.
You can on each product page on the US and EU Siglent sites but the factory thus far has stuck to the old website format where at least all FW versions are still available.

Running windows 8.
8 or 8.1 ?

I'll ask factory tech support if they have some pointers for you as I never spent much time on 8 with scope software.
With 7 it worked OK.

Now about this sharper res you need.
Are you needing captures or brighter/sharper traces ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:54:54 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:03:41 am »
Win 8 pro.

I'm doing a screen capture overlayed on another so I've got the scope scaled down to be able to see both windows and it's hard to read the volts and time divisions. Probably a combination of the softwares ability and the font used in waveform view. Was hoping virtual panel would work on off chance the render of the scopes LCD would look better.

Jonny

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:59 am »
Win 8 pro.

I'm doing a screen capture overlayed on another so I've got the scope scaled down to be able to see both windows and it's hard to read the volts and time divisions. Probably a combination of the softwares ability and the font used in waveform view. Was hoping virtual panel would work on off chance the render of the scopes LCD would look better.
I haven't got any CML's left to check on this for you but maybe we can suggest some ways to do what you need.
Some ideas, in no particular order:

Can you turn one of the waveforms into a REFerence trace and position the other on it ?
Turn some Averaging ON to thin the traces some and maybe engage the BW limit.
Set some Measurements on screen for each channel to give you the data you need instead of needing to read them off the graticules.
Experiment with both trace and graticule (grid) brightness.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:25:35 am »
Most scope software developers design it on their home/office or work computer/s and the operating system on it,
and don't worry/bother/stress (or get paid enough) to test it on previous or later versions of Windows,
much less Windows loaded up with various softwares and infested with cracks, viri laden torrents, p0rn ransomware laced links etc  

It's best to contact them directly as to what operating system and hardware they use or recommend, and go with that
You can safely bet it will usually be a Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro OEM PC or laptop   

That's what I do FWIW, on a separate dedicated PC or laptop if necessary, never a problem  8)

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline amanda1

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 01:20:28 pm »
Hey,

Check this app, it has big functionality, maybe it will suit you:http://alelso.com/projects/altami-studio/

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:49:25 pm »
Hey,

Check this app, it has big functionality, maybe it will suit you:http://alelso.com/projects/altami-studio/

That message raised my orange flags, so I had a look. The "about" page starts with
"Altami Studio is developed for image capture, analysis and processing images as well as for conducting measurements. Images can be received with the help of the research equipment: microscopes, telescopes, X-ray, and other apparatuses. Monitoring and measuring are available in real-time mode (images are received from camera or other capture devices)."
and the supported devices page mentions digital cameras.

Perhaps "amanda1" can outline how that relates to controlling oscilloscopes.

It may also be useful if they explained why 50% of their messages explicitly refer to altami studio.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf