Author Topic: (solved) Rigol MSO1104Z-S Pulse Generator is Pointless?  (Read 1481 times)

Online hexreaderTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
(solved) Rigol MSO1104Z-S Pulse Generator is Pointless?
« on: December 16, 2016, 12:16:32 pm »
Just learning the features on my MSO1104Z-S and I am confused as to the purpose of "Pulse" selection as one of the wave selections on the in-built signal generators.

I was disappointed to find that pulse generator Duty Cycle is limited to 10% as the lowest value.

I am struggling to see what "pulse" waveform gives me that "square" waveform does not.

Is "pulse" mode just a marketing gimmick, or am I missing something obvious?

Any help or insight will be appreciated, though it is not important, just a matter of curiosity.

EDIT: - sorry....  posted too soon. Answer turns out to be obvious now I look harder.....

Square wave has no duty cycle adjustment  :palm: - it really is square waves only.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:28:15 pm by hexreader »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: (solved) Rigol MSO1104Z-S Pulse Generator is Pointless?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:54:17 pm »
Had me checking my Siglent..........
IMO a square wave should be just that; square, 50% duty cycle but it's up to the manufacturer in their FW as to the adjustments available.
Eg, My SDS2304X has adjustment from 20-80% duty cycle for square wave and in Pulse mode @ 10 MHz (max) widths from 48ns up.

They are occasionally quite handy but can't offer the functionality of a fully fledged AWG.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online hexreaderTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: (solved) Rigol MSO1104Z-S Pulse Generator is Pointless?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:27:09 pm »
I think I like your Siglent more than I like my Rigol. (can't find an envy emoticon)

... but I don't have the budget for the best tools, so I am more than happy to accept what I can afford along with it's limitations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf