Author Topic: Rigol DM Multimeter - Programming, Measurment Switching time.  (Read 3049 times)

Offline stuartmpTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DM Multimeter - Programming, Measurment Switching time.
« on: August 11, 2021, 01:42:49 am »
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a Rigol DM3068 Multimeter and was wondering.

If I am connected using a LAN cable to the device and I am sending commands to measure Voltage then Current then Voltage again
what sort of time delay should I expect when taking.

1. The first voltage measurement then taking a current measurement?
  So the commands would be :MEASure:VOLTage:DC 2  then :MEASure:CURRent:DC 2

2. A current measurement then switching to taking a voltage measurement?
  So the commands would be  :MEASure:CURRent:DC 2 then :MEASure:VOLTage:DC 2

If someone could test this for me and quote me some times in ms that would be Awesome.

Thanks

Stuart

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 01:45:30 am by stuartmp »

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DM Multimeter - Programming, Measurment Switching time.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 12:56:04 pm »
As far as I know the "Rohde & Schwarz HMC8012" is the only benchtop DMM, being able to measure Volt and Ampere at the same time, having this special build in feature...

..., without ruining the relays and even showing power on its third display space - I did a small test with three white diodes:

Because I am on linux I haven't used the "R&S software" so far. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to use TestController showing more than one measurement at the same time either. I only use LAN for logging. When I am sitting in front of the instruments, I prefer using knobs and buttons instead of the keyboard and mouse.

Allthough I bought my "Rigol DM3068" in used condition, I don't want to do the test with an one ohm precision resistor; there are also some limtations. Either you have a lemming switching the test leads in µs or you have to do it the way it is mentioned in this video by keysight:

ht*you have to copy and paste the link*tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6xnLkiUMn8

Doing it like this, you are in a way able to "copy" the build in function of the "HMC8012" in a "more or less self-destructive way" considering the price of the equipment.

So, to put it in a nutshell, anyone will tell you, that you need at least two DMMs or benchtop DMMs to measure V and A at the same time in a perfect and professional way, thus you have a perfect view on any decisive measurement and change in ms, without missing anything during switching time, if the DMMs log that fast via LAN...

...and get a pefect overview within TestController by HKJ:

Cheers.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 02:37:10 pm »
ADCMT  have on meter with 2 independant input chanels

https://www.adcmt.com/en/products/dmm/7352

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 03:10:08 pm »
With only 3 wires connected to the meter there is alway a problem with connector / wire resistance for a simultaneous current and voltage measurement.
The HMC example includes the voltage drop on the black cable when measuring the source (or the red and blue for the load).
It can be OK with relatively low currents and not too high demand.

Two really separated units (and thus using 4 terminals) like in the ADCMT is a rare solution.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 03:19:03 pm »
Because I am on linux I haven't used the "R&S software" so far. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to use TestController showing more than one measurement at the same time either. I only use LAN for logging. When I am sitting in front of the instruments, I prefer using knobs and buttons instead of the keyboard and mouse.

TestController can show more values from a DMM, you can see "Chauvin Arnoux CA 5293.txt" and "GossenMetraHitEnergy.txt" for examples.

I would like to get a copy of you definition, to include, when you are finished with it.

With TestController you can make customized control and readout panels like this:

They can be saved and loaded as needed.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 05:08:06 pm »

TestController can show more values from a DMM, you can see "Chauvin Arnoux CA 5293.txt" and "GossenMetraHitEnergy.txt" for examples.

I would like to get a copy of you definition, to include, when you are finished with it.

With TestController you can make customized control and readout panels like this:

They can be saved and loaded as needed.

Chauvin Arnoux CA 5293 officially supports U and I measurements at the same time.

DM3068 doesn't.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 05:32:01 pm »
Chauvin Arnoux CA 5293 officially supports U and I measurements at the same time.

DM3068 doesn't.

This was more about the HMC8012 and that you can do multiple values from a DMM on TestController, if you want. This will prevent some popups from tracking mode changes on the DMM, i.e. you have to manually select a new measurement in the popup when changing mode on the DMM.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf