Author Topic: Power Designs 3K10B supply info  (Read 4352 times)

Offline vindolineTopic starter

• Supporter
Power Designs 3K10B supply info
« on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:41 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for a manual for a Power Designs 3K10B high voltage power supply. I've had no luck with google. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Power Designs 3K10B supply info
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 02:22:22 pm »
Bumping this thread.  If anyone has the manual or knows a source please link.  Thank you.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »
Hi, I ended up buying a used manual. I'll dig it up and scan it for you. I can't attach it as the pdf is too large. I also made hi res scans of the board layout and schematic.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 04:14:20 pm »
Wow.  Thanks a million vindoline.  Its superbly helpful.  I'm digesting it now. 
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline pelud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 04:20:30 pm »
I just ordered a 3K10B.  Can I get a copy as well?  Thanks!

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 04:30:04 pm »
Yes, I'm happy to send you a link to it. On this topic, does anyone have a suggestion for a site I can archive the manual at? I did a quick google search of where I've downloaded Power Designs manuals from before, but I didn't see any way to upload one or contact the owner to send it to them.

The following users thanked this post: pelud

Offline Knuckx

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »
https://doc.xdevs.com/ is probably the best place to put any files you have pertaining to test equipment.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »
https://doc.xdevs.com/ is probably the best place to put any files you have pertaining to test equipment.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion! I've uploaded it and hopefully will be available to all soon.

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 06:11:04 pm »
KOBB site is very popular and long standing.  But I think its better if multiple sites have copies in case one goes down.

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals

Thanks vindoline for all your help making these available  :clap:.  There isn't much on the 3k10b on this forum, if not elsewhere.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:13:20 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 07:21:13 pm »
KOBB site is very popular and long standing.  But I think its better if multiple sites have copies in case one goes down.

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals

Thanks vindoline for all your help making these available  :clap:.  There isn't much on the 3k10b on this forum, if not elsewhere.

I've also put a copy here  :-+

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:28:52 pm »
Its amazing this thread began in 2014 and just burst back into life.  I think you have the first request on eevblog about this unit, and provided all the resources thereafter about it.  Hopefully us new owners can shed more data on it when they arrive.  Much thanks again!
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline pelud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:49:32 am »
I got my 3K10B a about 2 weeks ago, and I finally got around to taking some pictures.  Unfortunately the seller did a s***ty job of packing it, and the front panel got severely damaged which caused the special 15 turn scale dial to become seized (http://www.bitechnologies.com/pdfs/2600.pdf).  It's the metric version, 2606m.  I tried "fixing" it myself, but I just caused it to become worse, so I guess there's no sending it back now. That all being said, it does otherwise work, so it's not a complete loss.

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 01:50:37 pm »
Great photos, sorry for late posts I've been away.  I've not done a teardown yet as I'm still in functional testing.

Readers should be aware the 3K10B, as well as many PD HV power supplies discussed on eevblog, are earth-ground referenced and non-floating at their outputs.  The chassis is not double insulated so take the usual lethal voltage precautions very carefully.

The SHV connectors provide much added safety with kV supplies that are earth ground referenced.  Should the cable fail in your hand [other than being grossed cut in half], it will either short the PSU [e.g. failure of the inner core insulation] or will only expose the ground cable braid [e.g. failure of external cable insulation].  The SHV connectors bury the hot lead inside the connector, and the ground connection is made first before the hot lead is connected.

I read that some users have modded HV supplies and replaced the SHV with banana jacks.  Although ETL rated commercial DMM probes are tested up to 10kV, you loose the safety of the SHV system and many non-branded banana jacks are not rated to work at the voltages HV PSU operate.  If you buy branded kV banana jacks, it can cost as much as SHV connectors.  The SHV connectors on the Power Designs supplies are often US made NIST quality, and today run between $10 [branded used or surplus] -$ 70 [new, premium distributor] each.  Unless you are careful with sourcing a replacement, its very likely China-grade of unknown quality and specification.

If you buy China grade SHV connector or assembled cable, all you need do is your own dielectric test as it should be 5kV rated and for the 3K10B, the maximum ouput is 3kV which is lower that the rated breakdown of SHV.

That said, there are not many SHV vendors on Ebay and only one in the USA, were connectors run at $6, new, versus $20 new say from Digikey.  SHV cables are rarely off the shelf, but are made to order.

With the 3K10B you will be rewarded with some diligence.

At 24 hours, I get 1.5 ppm stability at 700V DC.

At 1 hour, I get over 1ppb stability at 700V DC.

Its not just rock stable but linear from 0.1V DC to 3kV DC, continuously, absolutely amazing quality.

Maximum output at 3kV is ~ 60W, i.e.,  20mA.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf