Author Topic: Rigol MSO4000 and DS4000. Tests, bugs, firmware, questions, etc...  (Read 182566 times)

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO4000 and DS4000. Tests, bugs, firmware, questions, etc...
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2014, 08:19:42 am »
The bus protocols seem not to be one of Rigol's strength. However it doesn't matter to me, I've got the Hameg HMO in parallel, which has got much better bus decoding options than Rigol.
Rgds
Gunb
Although that Hameg has only 2500 waveforms per second and it looks like a small poor scope... But in fact it is a compact powerful machine from Germany.

"Only" is only mentioned because Agilent (Keysight) makes big stories about wfm/s to sell their expensive scopes - where most of the users don't need really high wfm/s.

Most of users of scopes for general purpose don't need such high wfm/s including myself although I've got a few scopes in my office which make up to 1mio wfm/s.

Meanwhile Hameg has increased the wfm/s of the current HMO3000 series to 4800wfm/s and it has got a real trigger output not only a passthrough which enables to measure the wfm/s - if needed.

Got one on my desk with 500MHz bandwidth, so you're right, it is a real powerful as the previous HMOs, too and I prefer the size very much since it's the perfect partner on my desk where other devices have to be placed on the cupboard.

The Rigol is not bad, firmware issues are quite common to all todays manufacturers. Even Agilent has got firmware issues, found them already.

Rgds
Gunb

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:46 am »

Are you running the new firmware, 00.02.01?  I was having lockup problems as well until I upgraded.

Hmm, will check that when I'm home again.

Rgds
Gunb

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2014, 08:54:54 pm »
Are you running the new firmware, 00.02.01?  I was having lockup problems as well until I upgraded.

Well, I've got firmware 00.02.00 on my DS4012.

... and I've just started updating the scope to 00.02.01  ....

Kind regards
Gunb
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:08:10 pm by Gunb »

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2014, 08:48:20 am »
Well, meanwhile I've flashed the scope with version 00.02.01 and the serial decoder problems seems to be solved, i.e., it does not freeze anymore.

But I've lost the 500MHz bandwidth "option" and I've fallen back to the origin 100 MHz (oops, I assumed that would happen)  :-/O

Hmm, I would like have both in common (without using a JTAG and open the scope anytime when a new update is released) :-DD
Any idea / experience if this can be done somehow? 

Kind regards
Gunb
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:13:27 pm by Gunb »

Offline tized

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2014, 09:00:25 am »
Well, meanwhile I've flashed the scope with version 00.02.01 and the serial decoder problems seems to be solved, i.e., it does not freeze anymore.

But I've lost the 500MHz bandwidth "option" and I've fallen back to the origin 100 MHz (oops, I assumed that would happen)  :-/O

Hmm, I would like have both in common (without using a JTAG and open the scope anytime when a new update is released) :-DD
Any idea / experience if this can be done somehow? 

Kind regards
Gunb

From the main Rigol "modifications" thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/msg369754/#msg369754

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2014, 09:06:31 am »

From the main Rigol "modifications" thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/msg369754/#msg369754

Thank you very much Sir!

I decorate you with the sticker "Hero of the day!"  :-+
(Although I've followed the linked thread more or less from the beginning meanwhile it's hard to follow  ;) )

Have a nice day
Gunb

Offline cubitus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 04:39:22 pm »
Hello,

Do you know any software to operate the MSO4000 series?
I found:
RigolBildschirmkopieLAN, it makes the screenshot
RUU it also makes the screenshot.

I have not found a program that works to read files. WFM

Is that you better?

Thank you

RIGOL DM3068, DG4062, DP832A MSO4014
FLIR E4 SSA3021X Plus

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 04:42:39 pm »
I have not found a program that works to read files. WFM

RUU will do it for DS4000s soon... working on a new version.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 07:21:01 pm »
Hi,
Seeing that the "other" Rigol thread is mostly on the DS2000 and now the 1000 series I thought I'd post here instead.
Yesterday I applied MrKrabs edition of the 02.01.00.03 DS4000 firmware and it worked like a charm, all options stayed intact, thanks MrKrabs!

In another thread someone mentioned the decoders not operating on recorded frames, something that sounded a bit strange to me - say it isn't so I said to myself. Unfortunately that does seem to be the case (I only tested the RS232 decoder). I thought perhaps the frames had to be recorded with the decoder active but that doesn't work either - as soon as you press the record button the decoder stops updating. "Browsing" thru the recorded frames doesn't do anything with the decoded data on the screen, it just stays the way it was at the moment you pressed Record. Using the wavefor analysis function in order to "preview" the frames at the bottom of the screen the preview to the left of the current of frame somtimes distors badly and this appears to only happen when the decoder is on the screen.

Since the decoders appears to be software driven I really don't see the reason for them not being able to operate on recorded frames.

Don't know if it can be called a bug as I don't think I've seen it stated anywhere that it should work, still kind of a shame though.

Offline Gunb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 09:25:10 pm »

In another thread someone mentioned the decoders not operating on recorded frames, something that sounded a bit strange to me - say it isn't so I said to myself. Unfortunately that does seem to be the case (I only tested the RS232 decoder). I thought perhaps the frames had to be recorded with the decoder active but that doesn't work either - as soon as you press the record button the decoder stops updating. "Browsing" thru the recorded frames doesn't do anything with the decoded data on the screen, it just stays the way it was at the moment you pressed Record. Using the wavefor analysis function in order to "preview" the frames at the bottom of the screen the preview to the left of the current of frame somtimes distors badly and this appears to only happen when the decoder is on the screen.

After reading your message I've done a few trials again and agree that the decoders seem not to work with recorded frames as they should. I've noticed the same behaviour as you did. Also got the scope frozen after decoding RS232 data streams with a timebase of 20ms and pressing the ZOOM knob to divide the screen into 2 windows. That does not happen always but it can be reproduced. The reason why I rejected my comment above.

Since the decoders appears to be software driven I really don't see the reason for them not being able to operate on recorded frames.

Don't know if it can be called a bug as I don't think I've seen it stated anywhere that it should work, still kind of a shame though.

Either they should block the decoding completely when switching to recorded frames or they should improve functionality. The current state can be marked as a bug.

The reason why I prefer the Hameg HMO series. It decodes by hardware and has got more options, especially real search functionality and trigger patterns that can be defined by the user.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:00 pm »
Either they should block the decoding completely when switching to recorded frames or they should improve functionality. The current state can be marked as a bug.
I agree, it's misleading having the decoder on screen showing "old" data.

I'd really would've liked them to work on recorded frames, and I'm surprised they don't but can't say if they actually should work. But again, if they aren't meant to work then they should be disabled.

Who's going to ask Rigol about it?   8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:46:37 pm by H.O »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:24 pm »

We all should.

Offline madbblanca

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2014, 11:16:17 pm »
Hello everyone.

Thank  to  Cybernet and MrKrabs.

My DS4024 model to full!

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:16 am »
I'd really would've liked them to work on recorded frames, and I'm surprised they don't but can't say if they actually should work. But again, if they aren't meant to work then they should be disabled.

I already did.  But I got an auto-responder, saying they're away for 'Spring Festival' until Feb10 or 11.  I expect to hear back in about a week.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2014, 06:41:57 am »
So did I, autoreply claimed I should expect a reply shortly (no note of any spring festival).
Anyone else?

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »
While we wait for Rigol to return from vacation, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed their scopes real time clock drifts?  Mine runs a bit slow, to the point I need to be sure and check it and reset it if I want accurate date/time stamps on my files.  I would say it loses a minute (or more) every couple of days or so.  It's not the end of the world, but might like to figure out a fix eventually.

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2014, 08:19:59 pm »
I'm popping this thread to the top because I see that there was a firmware update for the DS2000 series scopes.  I've noticed that updates for the DS2000 and DS4000 series scopes tend to come out very close in time to each other.  I have sent an email to Rigol asking if there is a new DS/MSO4000 FW version in the pipe, along with the above question about the real time clock drifting.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2014, 02:40:13 pm »
As somebody mentioned before, MSO4000's waveform update rate goes down when serial decode is enabled. It is clearly visible with naked eyes. Not good on a $4,400 scope! http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/mso4000/mso4024/

EDIT: The memory was at the lowest setting, 14kpoints per channel.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:58:54 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2014, 02:52:43 pm »
As somebody mentioned before, MSO4000's waveform update rate goes down when serial decode is enabled. It is clearly visible with naked eyes. Not good on a $4,400 scope! http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/mso4000/mso4024/

This is only a valid complaint in comparison to other scopes.  Do the Agilents or Teks suffer this as well?  Or do they maintain waveform update.

Are you sure it is a waveform update loss?  Or is it just a screen update loss.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2014, 03:02:05 pm »
I think that Agilent does not suffer this, but some Tektronix scopes do.
http://youtu.be/7hM6xXoWtEc?t=1m59s
http://youtu.be/OgO6s_AtX1I?t=1m56s

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2014, 03:40:07 pm »
I think that Agilent does not suffer this, but some Tektronix scopes do.
http://youtu.be/7hM6xXoWtEc?t=1m59s
http://youtu.be/OgO6s_AtX1I?t=1m56s

I'm not surprised.  I like the Agilent scopes much much better these days than the TEK.  I have an MSO7104B and it is spectacular.  I still like my Rigol ds4014 a lot... except it is 2 months old and already broke!

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2014, 03:56:03 pm »
Oh, what happened to your Rigol DS4000? It has some disadvantages, but I still think that it is rather a powerful scope...

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2014, 05:27:33 pm »
Oh, what happened to your Rigol DS4000? It has some disadvantages, but I still think that it is rather a powerful scope...

few things:

had 1 bad pixel, luckily it was dark so it wasn't really noticeable.
Then it started having visual glitches
Then channels 3 and 4 started having rail to rail noise with nothing connected to the inputs
Finally of a few more days it got to a point when no scope traces would show on the screen regardless of how the scope was set.

Rigol has had it for over a week and I've not received any update.  Kinda sucks to be down a scope!!!  I've got a lot of other Rigol equip and not had issues for the most part.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2014, 09:07:40 pm »
As somebody mentioned before, MSO4000's waveform update rate goes down when serial decode is enabled. It is clearly visible with naked eyes. Not good on a $4,400 scope!

EDIT: The memory was at the lowest setting, 14kpoints per channel.

Thanks for the demo.  Also, I'm glad to see that you confined it to the 14k points/channel setting.  More than that doesn't help, and you may be the first I've seen who has done this right.

And yes, it does slow down significantly (i.e., the screen update rate), but I don't think that impaired the usability.  In fact, if it was running at the pre-decode speed, the changes may have been too fast to even read.  Did you feel the slower display updates made it less usable?

This was actually still much faster and more regular than previous similar demos (which had multi-meg sampling enabled, and looked really horrible).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:09:12 pm by Mark_O »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2014, 09:17:26 pm »

Rigol has had it for over a week and I've not received any update.  Kinda sucks to be down a scope!!!  I've got a lot of other Rigol equip and not had issues for the most part.
Well, this may happen to any scope, even Agilent can be faulty sometimes... And you have said that you have other Rigol equipment, that is working properly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf