Author Topic: Rigol MSO7000 Unboxing & First Impressions  (Read 35459 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Rigol MSO7000 Unboxing & First Impressions
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2018, 05:13:42 pm »
What is funny is that LeCroy is not competitive in this range at all to have such attitude. The bottom range WaveAce is terrible and several reports mention the Wavesurfer 3000 is quite subpar.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2018, 05:24:45 pm »
What is funny is that LeCroy is not competitive in this range at all to have such attitude. The bottom range WaveAce is terrible and several reports mention the Wavesurfer 3000 is quite subpar.
Ofcourse I would have taken the Wavesurfer 3000 for a test drive but I don't want to spend time on that before agreeing on the price. Based on Jportici's experience with the Wavesurfer 3000 I probably wouldn't have bought it. IMHO the R&S RTM3000 is the oscilloscope to beat in the price bracket the DSO7000 is positioned.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2018, 05:49:25 pm »
Ofcourse I would have taken the Wavesurfer 3000 for a test drive but I don't want to spend time on that before agreeing on the price. Based on Jportici's experience with the Wavesurfer 3000 I probably wouldn't have bought it. IMHO the R&S RTM3000 is the oscilloscope to beat in the price bracket the DSO7000 is positioned.
Wavesurfer is nice but is not excellent in anything. It doesn't have Peak detect mode, it has sample memory depth that is nor small nor big, it has MSO but it is quite slow compared to even Rigols...
It has WaveScan (that is fantastic) but it is crippled to be just a little better than good search.. And it is quite slowish when you enable more stuff.
It is deliberately crippled not interfere with sales of their mid range products.

RS RTM3000 ticks many right boxes (that is why I was asking for a quote), but their pricing is still ridiculous. Actually, they started to be more reasonable on software options, but bandwidth is still way overpriced. 1GHz scope for 18000€ ?  100->350 MHZ upgrade 4000 € ? 100->500 MHZ upgrade 6700€ ? If upgrade to 500 MHz was 1500-2000€, then I would buy 200 MH scope now (it is in my budget) and upgrade to 500MHz in few months..  6700€ pretty much guarantees I will never buy it.

And if the pricing was like that they would fly of the shelves...

I still might buy 200MHz +all options for mixed signal work, and for 2000 € used 1 GHz scope.   

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2018, 06:00:39 pm »
I still might buy 200MHz +all options for mixed signal work, and for 2000 € used 1 GHz scope.
That is not a bad idea. I have the 1GHz RTM3004 on my bench but for looking at signals in picosecond territory I'm using an Agilent 54845. The latter goes to 100ps/div while the RTM3000 stops at 500ps/div.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2018, 06:05:47 pm »
I can't necessarily understand the rep's attitude in this case; to me it smells like he did not believe at all in the customer's expertise and tried to pull a realtor's attitude: show something wonderfully irresistible only to try to take advantage of the awe of the customer (quite childish IMHO). Perhaps that is what Sinisa's rant talks about. Regarding the oscilloscope itself, JPortici's review is what I remember as well.

I don't know about Croatia's market, but here in test gear haven this money buys you quite a decent used oscilloscope.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2018, 06:25:51 pm »
I don't know about Croatia's market, but here in test gear haven this money buys you quite a decent used oscilloscope.
Europe is pretty different - definitely not the test gear heaven.. :)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2018, 06:56:54 pm »
I can't necessarily understand the rep's attitude in this case; to me it smells like he did not believe at all in the customer's expertise and tried to pull a realtor's attitude: show something wonderfully irresistible only to try to take advantage of the awe of the customer (quite childish IMHO). Perhaps that is what Sinisa's rant talks about. Regarding the oscilloscope itself, JPortici's review is what I remember as well.
I apologize to all, it is more like me complaining and sharing  it with my fellows that understand my pain .... :-)))

Quote from: rsjsouza

In EU there is no developed market for used T&M equipment, and in CRO it is nonexistent whatsoever..

Regards,

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2018, 07:04:43 pm »
Europe is pretty different - definitely not the test gear heaven.. :)
True but good deals can be found on Ebay even with shipping costs and VAT. I've bought equipment and parts from allover the world.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2018, 03:11:12 pm »
The inbuilt sig gen looks identical to the one on the Rigol DS1074Z. Max 25MHz sine & 15MHZ square waves.

You'd have thought that for a 500MHz scope costing in excess of £10,000 when fully upgraded Rigol would have taken the opportunity to improve the sig gen too, say to 100MHz sine wave; or is that too much like common sense?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2018, 04:02:02 pm »
The inbuilt sig gen looks identical to the one on the Rigol DS1074Z. Max 25MHz sine & 15MHZ square waves.

You'd have thought that for a 500MHz scope costing in excess of £10,000 when fully upgraded Rigol would have taken the opportunity to improve the sig gen too, say to 100MHz sine wave; or is that too much like common sense?

Most of the competition is not better even on 18000USD scopes. Keysight MSOX-3104T - up to 20 MHz, R&S RTM3000 - up to 25 MHz, LecCroy Wavesurfer 3000 up to 25 MHz...
Only Tek MDO 3000/4000 go to 50Mhz... None of them go to 100MHz.
Siggen on a scope is not a full instrument, it's more like a supplementary function, to give a handy basic signal source that is right there. Actually, 2 ch on Rigol is more useful than higher than 25 MHz frequencies..

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2018, 05:08:06 am »
Maybe Rigol Australia should get this unit back from Dave and give it to someone who actually wants to test it sometime this year  :-[

Anyone found a comprehensive third party online review of this scope yet?

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2018, 06:40:05 am »
Maybe Rigol Australia should get this unit back from Dave and give it to someone who actually wants to test it sometime this year  :-[

And instead of just feeling the knobs someone might run real test for a change. Extend timebase to say 500ms (default test max 5ms), and much sharper edge (~2ns) or Arduino version of test. They claim full memory (guess 500Mpts? then) measurements, and in real time. Something thought to be impossible and even unneeded by some not long ago... ::)

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2018, 08:16:34 am »

Just went over to EEVBlog2 and wouldn't you know Dave is showing a video edit with the Rigol scope in question getting the teardown treatment!

Maybe sometime soon we will have a meaningful review of Rigol's new scope  :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2018, 11:19:20 am »
Just went over to EEVBlog2 and wouldn't you know Dave is showing a video edit with the Rigol scope in question getting the teardown treatment!

Maybe sometime soon we will have a meaningful review of Rigol's new scope  :-+

Did you see the date on that?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2018, 11:54:02 am »
While I really like tear downs, for both entertainment and educational value, they are no product reviews.
It would be nice to see how it is to use it and how good it is..
But that is a huge job. I don't think we'll see it very soon.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2018, 09:43:28 pm »
Dave Jones made a teardown. https://www.flickr.com/photos/eevblog/sets/72157698340312471/with/42115912650/
Tehre are CapXon capacitors.  :( :(
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2018, 09:59:55 pm »
Dave Jones made a teardown. https://www.flickr.com/photos/eevblog/sets/72157698340312471/with/42115912650/
Tehre are CapXon capacitors.  :( :(

I just replaced a less than 1 year old POE injector with bad CapXon caps today, in a 70F office.

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »
Those caps are in the power supply, which was outsourced.  Rigol probably treated it as a module and didn’t spec the components used inside.  It will be interesting to see how many will fail during the three year warranty period.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2018, 05:08:52 am »
Those caps are in the power supply, which was outsourced.  Rigol probably treated it as a module and didn’t spec the components used inside.  It will be interesting to see how many will fail during the three year warranty period.

They use CapXon in their other 'scopes and I don't see many failing because of that.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:54 am »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2018, 11:40:34 am »
Looking forward to a full review, but lots of unanswered questions still:

- Still software serial decode?
 - Same super crappy encoders like the 4000 series?
 - Laggy UI?
 - Web interface?

And most importantly, will it suffer for years with very poor dedication on the firmware side?  Anyone that bought a 4000 or 6000 will be hesitant to purchase this.

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2018, 04:57:09 pm »

They use CapXon in their other 'scopes and I don't see many failing because of that.

Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t mean the failure comment to be critical.  My Rigol DS4000 scope has a CapXon populated switching supply in it, and it has been working fine for six years.
Also, despite the firmware hassles on the 4000, I am still considering the 7000 series for a possible upgrade.  I, like others, anxiously await a thorough review.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2018, 05:25:12 pm »
Interesting that the power supply appears to only put out one voltage and that half the PCB is taken up with voltage converters.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2018, 05:57:40 pm »
It's not unusual, especially with low voltages. Instead of stringing power traces all over, convert it where it's needed.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2018, 06:35:03 pm »
It's not unusual, especially with low voltages. Instead of stringing power traces all over, convert it where it's needed.

Exactly, as you can see the thing wants about 10 different voltages, and you don't want to put that all in the PSU. And splitting it between the PSU and main board just doesn't make sense.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf