Author Topic: Rigol Ultra Sigma has stopped working...  (Read 14156 times)

Offline s3rkanTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol Ultra Sigma has stopped working...
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:18:22 pm »
Hi everyone. I have downloaded the both the 01.06.00 and 01.06.01 versions and tried to install with built in admin account as mentioned here. I have installed to 3 PCs with windows 8 x64, windows 7 x64, windows 7 x86 but in all of these the program crashed and said ".....has stopped working". Please could someone give me any advice?

Offline dagg

Re: Rigol Ultra Sigma has stopped working...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:46:09 pm »
Did you also install the NI-VISA Virtual Instrument Software Architecture? It is mandatory for Ultra Sigma to function.

Jan.
Ham Operator PH3J

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 12:56:00 pm »
Does it have an additional setup file? I think it have been installed with the ultra Sigma setup that I have downloaded from rigol site.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:13:48 pm by s3rkan »

Offline dagg

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 01:20:12 pm »
I can't really remember, but you should have an entry "National Instruments Software" in your software list. If it's not there, please download and install from your mentioned link, and work up to version 15.5 of that through the updates.
Ham Operator PH3J

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:54:50 pm »
I can't really remember, but you should have an entry "National Instruments Software" in your software list. If it's not there, please download and install from your mentioned link, and work up to version 15.5 of that through the updates.
I have reinstalled the windows 8 x64 and ultra sigma. A screenshot is attached. Also I downloaded the National Instruments Software and installed it.  But still it says "... has stopped working"

Offline dagg

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 03:24:20 pm »
Did it already update to version 16.0 (which is the newest for me also)? You might want to force this through the Start Menu item "NI Update Service".
Ham Operator PH3J

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 05:57:10 pm »
Did it already update to version 16.0 (which is the newest for me also)? You might want to force this through the Start Menu item "NI Update Service".
I have updated to v16 as you said but same issue again  |O I have spent a whole day to install it but I have nothing :palm: Thank you anyway dagg...

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 06:09:22 pm »
Hi.

Just a wild suggestion, as I don't even own this device:
Try changing the Regional Settings to a different country. Often the cause is just the "." vs "," for tge devimal separato.

Regards

The following users thanked this post: dagg

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 06:57:32 pm »
Ultra Sigma/Help/Ultra Sigma_English.chm mentions these files being installed

Offline dagg

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 07:01:37 pm »
Hi Bicurico :)

that's a good point...! But it makes no difference over here, all's working fine on ',' or '.' for the decimal separator.

s3rkan:
Darn!  :(
Then I'd suggest to just uninstall Ultra Sigma -maybe more thoroughly needed, ie folders/appdata/registry/etc- and reinstall that. Because it might be that you started off in the reverse order; NI-VISA maybe needs to be installed 1st. I think NI-VISA will be installed correctly.
A working Ultra Sigma on W7 is attached. Right-clicking on the highlighted scope, and choosing Ultrascope will start Ultra Sigma then.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 07:06:09 pm by dagg »
Ham Operator PH3J

The following users thanked this post: s3rkan

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 08:11:41 pm »
Hi Bicurico :)

that's a good point...! But it makes no difference over here, all's working fine on ',' or '.' for the decimal separator.

s3rkan:
Darn!  :(
Then I'd suggest to just uninstall Ultra Sigma -maybe more thoroughly needed, ie folders/appdata/registry/etc- and reinstall that. Because it might be that you started off in the reverse order; NI-VISA maybe needs to be installed 1st. I think NI-VISA will be installed correctly.
A working Ultra Sigma on W7 is attached. Right-clicking on the highlighted scope, and choosing Ultrascope will start Ultra Sigma then.
I have uninstalled the Ultra Sigma and all its components with revo uninstaller. Installed the NI-VISA 16 first and installed the sigma then. Unfortunately, no success  :(
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:13:49 pm by s3rkan »

Offline dagg

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 08:32:07 pm »
And version 00.01.06.00?  :-//
Ham Operator PH3J

Offline dagg

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 08:46:24 pm »
Hi.

Try changing the Regional Settings to a different country. Often the cause is just the "." vs "," for tge devimal separato.

Regards

"Each Rigol Software requires DOT as decimal separator. [English/America Notation]
So before starting with installation or usage of Rigol Software go to your Windows Control Panel and change the Region and Language settings to the right notation!
Otherwise your software will not work properly."

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:48:54 pm by dagg »
Ham Operator PH3J

The following users thanked this post: s3rkan

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 08:52:29 pm »
Hi.

Regards

"Each Rigol Software requires DOT as decimal separator. [English/America Notation]
So before starting with installation or usage of Rigol Software go to your Windows Control Panel and change the Region and Language settings to the right notation!
Otherwise your software will not work properly."

:-+ :-+ :-+ OK, here is the point: change the regional settings to USA  :o And voila  8) Thank you very much dagg and Bicurico!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:44:50 pm by s3rkan »

Offline dagg

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 09:03:13 pm »
Sighhh, congratulations!!  :clap: :popcorn:
Ham Operator PH3J

Offline Scott_H

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 01:42:57 pm »
Just had a similar issue, posting here as this thread comes up in a google search...

If Ultra Sigma crashes, you've checked " . " is your decimal separator, you've updated all the NI utilities... check if you need to set the "Ultra Sigma.exe" to run in windows 7 compatibility mode.

(on Windows 10 Pro.)

That took me an entire bloody hour to work out.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 09:27:41 pm »
I'm sorry to drag this thread out of the mud but I thought another data point might be useful for future reference. I've struggled for two evenings getting NI VISA, Ultra Sigma, Python and PyVISA all set up on my new machine with Windows 10. Ultra Sigma kept crashing and I tried running as administrator, running in compatibillity mode, 01.06.01, 01.06.00, changed decimal separator etc.

In the end I uninstalled everything, then I re-installed UltraSigma 01.06.01 and allowed IT to install whatever NI VISA version it comes bundled with (instead of installing the latest one) and it looks like this has rectified the issue for me.

So, Ultra Sigma 01.06.01 with NI VISA 5.4.1 seems to work for me while the latest and greates NI-VISA 16 does not. No need for compatibillity mode, no need to run as administrator, no need to change decimal separator from "," to "."

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 12:48:51 pm »
Must get this thread out of the sink again ...

After ultra sigma worked for me for quite a while (it only spun now and then) it has not worked since yesterday.  :-\
(Still with the same Win 8.1 64).

It can start, I can also enter the ip of my scope and it will be found and added to the device list,
but as soon as I open the context menu with the right mouse button, ultra sigma crashes.
And most of the time before I do anything e.g. choose ultrascope.  >:(

Unfortunately, the tip with a dot instead of a comma as a number separator is of no use (previously it was also possible with a comma).

An uninstallation and new does not solve the problem.
The installation routine runs error-free with everything (including the NI components).
However, it is no longer possible with the error as described above.  :-[
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline JingleheimerSE

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 05:28:29 am »
klausES, after installing Ultra Sigma_00_01_06_01 and UltraScope(PC)Installer_00.01.01.07, im having the exact same issue. Ultra Sigma launches and runs just fine but attempting to open Ultra scope leads to nothing but a timeout error.

Has anyone else seen this or have a solution?

I tried opening one of the crash dumps but was unable to get a full stack trace. I'm wondering if its an issue with the .NET framework it attempted to install as that is the only component that does not get reinstalled when uninstalling and reinstalling the whole suite.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 01:02:11 pm »
I'm sorry, why do you need this cumbersome and awkward software? What is the use and what does it do better than the web interface?
And sorry for my English.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 08:51:48 pm »
I've found that UltraSigma is a steaming pile of fetid dingoes kidneys in terms of its development. In my particular case, I believe the issue is with the video driver.

What I found was installing this in a VM solved the issue (due to a generic video driver/device) and enabled it to run but in the end, it was just better and easier to write my own software than trying to deal with that software turd.

TonyG

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 09:19:20 pm »
I've found that UltraSigma is a steaming pile of fetid dingoes kidneys in terms of its development. In my particular case, I believe the issue is with the video driver.

What I found was installing this in a VM solved the issue (due to a generic video driver/device) and enabled it to run but in the end, it was just better and easier to write my own software than trying to deal with that software turd.

TonyG

+1
And sorry for my English.

Offline smerrett79

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 03:55:30 pm »
Also got this issue of timeout when trying to open Ultrascope from Ultrasigma. Initially, I was hopeful that this workaround would be able to fix things but no joy (for me but may help others. Rigol support have engaged with my email so if I get a successful resolution I will post an update for the benefit of those coming after me.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 05:38:10 pm »
I've found that UltraSigma is a steaming pile of fetid dingoes kidneys

Yep.

Half a gigabyte of steaming offal that could have been done in 16kb by any competent programmer.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 05:45:24 pm »
could have been done in 16kb by any competent programmer.

... with full debugging symbols info.

The following users thanked this post: Tony_G

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf