Author Topic: Rigol warranty in UK?  (Read 13460 times)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Rigol warranty in UK?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 05:08:09 pm »
I'm keeping an eye out for a gumtree/ebay bargain. Perhaps a 2465B.

Unless you get it for free or really cheap (£50 in fully working condition) you're flushing money down the toilet. As I understand it, you already have two analog boat anchors, and buying a third one which by now is 30 years old, is very likely close to the end of its service life and will very likely be another project in itself isn't really an economical sensible idea when you can get a modern scope for less than £400.

I've come to the conclusion that you need at least three identical scopes all the time:

1. One you actually use.
2. One to fix the one you actually use.
3. One to steal bits from to fix the other two.

Possibly a fourth one just in case :)

How about just one scope that isn't an antique that is full of unreliable and worn out bits. and that just works and will very likely do so for the nex decade or so? One that allows you to actually work on a project and not spending time fixing your tools?

Just sayin...

Offline MrSlackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »
I'm keeping an eye out for a gumtree/ebay bargain. Perhaps a 2465B.

Unless you get it for free or really cheap (£50 in fully working condition) you're flushing money down the toilet. As I understand it, you already have two analog boat anchors, and buying a third one which by now is 30 years old, is very likely close to the end of its service life and will very likely be another project in itself isn't really an economical sensible idea when you can get a modern scope for less than £400.

I've come to the conclusion that you need at least three identical scopes all the time:

1. One you actually use.
2. One to fix the one you actually use.
3. One to steal bits from to fix the other two.

Possibly a fourth one just in case :)

How about just one scope that isn't an antique that is full of unreliable and worn out bits. and that just works and will very likely do so for the nex decade or so? One that allows you to actually work on a project and not spending time fixing your tools?

Just sayin...

I can't find anything I'd throw my cash at for £400. Rigol doesn't cut it IMHO. I'm going to defer for a couple of years though and throw the cash at my house instead. Then I can sell the damn thing, move to the sticks and throw a couple of thousand on something nice.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 05:42:32 pm »
I can't find anything I'd throw my cash at for £400. Rigol doesn't cut it IMHO.

The DS1054z has it's flaws but that is when compared with other modern entry-level scopes (like the HMO).

When compared with a 30 year old analog clunker, the DS1054z is still a vastly better scope in pretty much any regard aside from bandwidth and X/Y/Z operation (the Rigol, like most DSOs, doesn't have Z input).

And it's not that this is the only alternative. For example, the HP 54600 Series digital scopes are cheap these days, they are very reliable, and offer most of the advantages of a digital scope, including FFT (with the optional storage module).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:21:51 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 06:18:49 pm »
As it happens I've got an old 465B that's been sat in the loft for years. I decided to dig it out & power it up and it sort of works but has an X sweep problem so probably needs re-capping at least due to its age. I'm never going to get the time to refurbish it so you are welcome to have it for spares if you want.

Offline MrSlackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 07:05:05 pm »
As it happens I've got an old 465B that's been sat in the loft for years. I decided to dig it out & power it up and it sort of works but has an X sweep problem so probably needs re-capping at least due to its age. I'm never going to get the time to refurbish it so you are welcome to have it for spares if you want.

Definitely interested in that. Where are you located? I can collect if you're not too far.

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 07:38:07 pm »
PM sent..

Offline papousek

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 03:43:28 am »
3 years warranty as Rigol standard service.
dealer as Telonic seems reliable.
I personally recommend Rgiol DS1054Z, Siglent SDS1102X.
NEVER buy a Owon, SHIT.

Offline EPLan

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 10:05:52 pm »
Only question is: Does anyone know what the warranty coverage is like in the UK? I've had more than enough trouble with a few companies over the years and I'd rather like to get an idea of what sort of crap is involved if it dies or is bug ridden?

Just out of interest what is the situation regarding anti-tamper stickers and the Rigol warranty in the UK? Will damaging a sticker result in the warranty being voided or will Rigol accept a scope and repair it despite a damaged sticker - after first examining the device and making sure the fault wasn't caused by the owner?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 10:15:04 pm »
Only question is: Does anyone know what the warranty coverage is like in the UK? I've had more than enough trouble with a few companies over the years and I'd rather like to get an idea of what sort of crap is involved if it dies or is bug ridden?

Just out of interest what is the situation regarding anti-tamper stickers and the Rigol warranty in the UK? Will damaging a sticker result in the warranty being voided or will Rigol accept a scope and repair it despite a damaged sticker - after first examining the device and making sure the fault wasn't caused by the owner?

Just remove the sticker altogether. It's nothing but some pantomime and has no bearing on any legal jurisdictions AFAIK. Certainly not UK. My last piece of test equipment came with no sticker at all. Now who gets to prove that a sticker has been removed or not? deliberately or accidentally?

Offline EPLan

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 12:19:01 am »
I've read similar comments on the net but was really looking for something official/definitive, are there any links you could point me to?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 01:35:37 am »
There are the plethora of moneysaving expert and other disseminators of consumer rights out there, but I always prefer to refer to the legislation - e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/20

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 07:20:27 am »
There are the plethora of moneysaving expert and other disseminators of consumer rights out there, but I always prefer to refer to the legislation - e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/20

It is also worth reading the definition of "consumer", particularly for something like a scope:

• 36. Another key definition is the definition of “consumer”. Firstly, a consumer must be an “individual” (that is, a natural person) – the Act’s protection for consumers does not apply to small businesses or legally incorporated organisations (e.g. companies formed by groups of residents). If a group of consumers contracts for goods, services or digital content, they are not left without protection. For example if one consumer makes all the arrangements for a group to go to the theatre or to go on holiday, depending on the circumstances, each member of the group may be able to enforce their rights or the person who made the arrangements may have to enforce the rights on behalf of the group. The other main restriction on who is a consumer is that a consumer must be acting wholly or mainly outside their trade, business, craft or profession. This means, for example, that a person who buys a kettle for their home, works from home one day a week and uses it on the days when working from home would still be a consumer. Conversely a sole trader that operates from a private dwelling who buys a printer of which 95% of the use is for the purposes of the business, is not likely to be held to be a consumer (and therefore the rights in this Part will not protect that sole trader but they would have to look to other legislation. For example, if the sole trader were buying goods, they would have to look to the SGA for protections about the quality of the goods).

Source: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes/division/3/1/2
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf