Author Topic: Rohde & Schwarz FPC1500 5kHz - 3GHz Spectrum Analyzer Review, Teardown & Exp.  (Read 7837 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
In this episode Shahriar reviews the newly released FPC1500 Spectrum Analyzer from Rohde & Schwarz. With this addition Rohde & Schwarz continues to aggressively target the entry level market across a wide range of instruments. These units are packed with competitive features some of which are not found in other instruments in the same class. The FPC1500 employs a 10.1" WXGA LCD screes and a built-in tracking generator with a fully independent synthesizer which allows for offset tracking as well as a built-in VSWR bridge capable of making vector S11 measurements. These features combined with built-in WiFi, wide range of measurement capabilities and digital demodulation of ASK/FSK signals provides a competitive product.

This comprehensive review is organized as follows:

00:01:35 - R&S Spectrum Analyzer model overview
00:02:25 - Front and back panel, GUI initial look
00:06:24 - Complete teardown with digital and RF deck analysis
00:19:11 - DUT device overview and specifications
00:20:00 - DUT power on, FPC overload test, single tone, phase-noise and pre-amplifier performance
00:29:41 - TOI measurement capability and multi-tone inter-modulation performance
00:35:07 - Internal source performance, THD measurement, tracking generator and offset-tracking
00:41:55 - Scaler S21 configuration, DUT gain and bandwidth measurement
00:46:08 - DUT Noise-figure measurement and marker functions capability
00:48:57 - DUT variable gain control characterization, AM demodulation, VGA bandwidth and waveform display
00:57:39 - Digital demodulation of FSK/ASK with multilevel frequency shifting, eye-diagram display and analysis
01:01:13 - Vector S11 measurement, web interface, smith chart display and return loss characterization
01:04:45 - Spectrogram measurement, replay mode and trace storage
01:06:55 - Concluding remarks

You can watch the video here: [1 Hour & 7 Min]
youtu.be/n-NqaG0ljK0

More videos at The Signal Path:
www.TheSignalPath.com

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, palpurul, 0xfede, laneboysrc, srce, TheSteve, 2N3055, tuju, Jacon, Mr. Scram, zitt

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Looks really nice.

Prices in EU (Batronix):

€ 2,891.70 incl. VAT Base unit 1 GHz, no options

€ 821.10 incl. 19% VAT R&S® FPC-K7 Modulation analysis ([...]as well as a summary of measurement parameters such as carrier power, carrier offset, modulation index (depth) for AM signals, frequency deviation for FM signals, SINAD, THD, etc.
€ 892.50 incl. 19% VAT R&S® FPC-K42 Vector Network Analysis (enables the internal bridge for S11 reflection measurements, including Smith chart and distance-to-fault (DTF).)
€ 583.10 incl. 19% VAT R&S® FPC-K43 Receiver Mode (EMI)
€ 583.10 incl. 19% VAT R&S® FPC-K55 Advanced Measurement (ACLR, TOI, SEM,spectrogram)
€ 345.10 incl. 19% VAT R&S® FPC-B200 WIFI Upgrade
€ 416.50 incl. 19% VAT R&S® FPC-B22 Preamplifier
€ 999.60 incl. 19% VAT bandwidth upgrades, 1-to-2 GHZ, 2-to-3 GHZ each

So unfortunately a lot of the features are paid extras. Can probably go without most of them except of course the S11 (+smith chart) and pre-amp. (Edit: oh yeah and another 2k EUR to make it 3GHz...)

Going to be interesting to see what price point the Siglent SA/VNA is going to be at. The R&S UI etc looks very good.

Ooh, and there's a cheap ecal for it too, now that's really nice.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:18:56 pm by Neganur »

Offline hscade

• Contributor
Shahriar , as always appreciated the review!  :-+

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
I always appreciate the longer more in-depth videos, please never sacrifice content for a shorter video length.
VE7FM

Offline nomadd

• Contributor
In this episode Shahriar reviews the newly released FPC1500 Spectrum Analyzer from Rohde & Schwarz. With this addition Rohde & Schwarz continues to aggressively target the entry level market across a wide range of instruments.

Loved those endless references to "entry level" and "economy" at the beginning.

..Only to realise that the fully optioned model you reviewed was around 8,000 Euros.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Well, the DSA815-TG Rigol costs 1400 EUR. Certainly more affordable and if lucky maybe you can find a used one.

Not all options are necessary (what are you using the instrument for...?), and then there is always the thing that this kind of equipment is maybe not exactly meant for hobbyists.
And if you 'need' it for your hobby, you can get one hell of a full blown VNA on the used market for that kind of money.

• Frequent Contributor
In this episode Shahriar reviews the newly released FPC1500 Spectrum Analyzer from Rohde & Schwarz. With this addition Rohde & Schwarz continues to aggressively target the entry level market across a wide range of instruments.

..Only to realise that the fully optioned model you reviewed was around 8,000 Euros.  :palm:

Please note that this is economy in the context and lineup of R&S instruments. It is their entry level spectrum analyzer.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
You kept me up to 1 AM last night watching your 8648C video.  Also I *just* got an 8560A w/ TG, so I don't need to be looking at other SAs right now  but thanks for doing it.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

The following users thanked this post: croma641

Offline nomadd

• Contributor

Please note that this is economy in the context and lineup of R&S instruments. It is their entry level spectrum analyzer.

Yes, fully appreciate that.  :)

Still, with this review - and the R&S Oscilloscope review you did a few weeks back - I do find it a little disconcerting that you keep mentioning "economy" and "entry level" multiple times at the start of the video, but then fail to mention what that actually means in real-world currency - especially when that's $5000-$8000+ dollars. Makes you sound like an R&S Salesperson trying to hide something.  >:D

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult simply mention the price of the fully-loaded unit you are about to review at the start, just so people have an idea of what to judge it against? Yes, I know we can all go and look it up online, but I think the videos would seem a little more "independent" if it was disclosed up front. Or maybe these review units are so new that R&S hasn't finalised pricing when you are given the units? Again, I just think it would be better if this was at least touched upon around all the talk of "economy" and "entry-level".

Anyway, great video; loved it. Just like all the videos on The Signal Path. Keep up the great work.

Cheers and regards.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Chapter 11 - the digital demonulation part was eye widening.
can you even do that with the cheapo siglent / rigol?

Offline Alegor

Hi, Shahriar!
We are still waitnig for your review of RadioInspector!
Long way...

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Again, I just think it would be better if this was at least touched upon around all the talk of "economy" and "entry-level".

It’s R&S who call it entry and economy btw, and it is compared to the performance/price segment of the rest of their analyzers. I think it is correct to remain neutral and use the terms the Manufacturer uses.

(I think it is understood that this type of equipment is expensive for normal private individuals.)

• Frequent Contributor

Still, with this review - and the R&S Oscilloscope review you did a few weeks back - I do find it a little disconcerting that you keep mentioning "economy" and "entry level" multiple times at the start of the video, but then fail to mention what that actually means in real-world currency - especially when that's $5000-$8000+ dollars. Makes you sound like an R&S Salesperson trying to hide something.  >:D

I get nothing from the sales so the whole point is moot.

I don't get into pricing because every country is different, there are often deals and corporate discounts and prices change while my video will not.

Regardless, buy the instrument which meets your price, performance, ecosystem and support that suits your needs. My review is suppose to show you what the instrument can do. The rest is up to you.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:50:15 am by Hugoneus »

The following users thanked this post: JPortici, rachaelp, tuju, Ghislain, bsodmike

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Prices in EU (Batronix):

Can someone who knows the inside scoop comment on the relation, if any, between these entry-level R&S SAs and Siglent SSA3000X in terms of:
  • hardware
  • software/firmware
  • performance (noise-floor, RBW, etc)

thanks!
AW

Offline EVS

• Contributor
Hi Shahriar, thanks for the review.
Could you check on your device two things:
- 3MHz RBW filter shape
- input signal with a frequency of 31.15 MHz

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor

Can someone who knows the inside scoop comment on the relation, if any, between these entry-level R&S SAs and Siglent SSA3000X in terms of:
  • hardware
  • software/firmware

thanks!
AW
[/quote]
We will get the SVA1000X as soon as available then we can compare with FPC1500 which we have already since few days under testing and showing to customers - results so far so good.
In the picture 2 low pass band filters in series.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:38:15 am by simone.pignatti »
Technical Support

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Prices in EU (Batronix):

• hardware
  • software/firmware

thanks!
AW
Shahriar has already reviewed the 3.2 GHz SSA3032X so see for yourself:
http://thesignalpath.com/blogs/2017/09/20/siglent-ssa3032x-9khz-3-2ghz-spectrum-analyzer-tg-review-teardown-experiment/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nomadd

• Contributor
Prices in EU (Batronix):

• hardware
  • software/firmware

thanks!
AW
http://thesignalpath.com/blogs/2017/09/20/siglent-ssa3032x-9khz-3-2ghz-spectrum-analyzer-tg-review-teardown-experiment/

Ah, but when will he be reviewing the Siglent SVA1015X (and maybe 3GHz+ models)..?  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
Prices in EU (Batronix):

• hardware
  • software/firmware

thanks!
AW

Ah, but when will he be reviewing the Siglent SVA1015X (and maybe 3GHz+ models)..?  ;D

Don't have one at the moment, but if that changes I will let you know.

I need to get my pending repairs and tutorials also out...

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
very few hobbyists can afford this stuff.

even "entry level", this is priced for businesses. not individuals.

Offline srce

• Regular Contributor
Can you do equivalent circuit impedance analysis on this for RLC components? If so, what sort of performance / range will it support?

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
Unfortunately,
one important parameter was not tested(hope not intentionally) at all, namely the phase noise
- which is at least 10dBc/Hz worst than any of Siglents(SSA or SVA)!

Offline mhsprang

• Contributor
Unfortunately,
one important parameter was not tested(hope not intentionally) at all, namely the phase noise
- which is at least 10dBc/Hz worst than any of Siglents(SSA or SVA)!
Owning an PFC 1500, I can confirm that the phase noise is horrible. My old (>30 years?) does way better than this modern FPC 1500. I am quite disappointed with this purchase.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf