Author Topic: Used Lab PSU - Mascot type 719  (Read 2229 times)

Offline LeoTechTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • High School student with a passion for electronics
Used Lab PSU - Mascot type 719
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:54:01 pm »
Hi fellow enthusiasts,

I am currently looking at a 'new' used power supply for the lab. The local market is unfortunately not very big and extensive, but I found a fairly good lead on one.

It is a Mascot type 719 power supply. http://mascot.no/catalog/power-supplies/acdc/desktop/230v/0719/c-24/c-1318/p-235

The specs seem pretty good for the price (about 40 USD, converted from DKK), but I have neither found a review nor another listing of it on Google - so hard to judge.

Does anyone got any experience with Mascot products or with this exact model, and should i go for it? Any input is appreciated?

Leo
High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
Re: Used Lab PSU - Mascot type 719
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:09:47 pm »
I don't know the mascot but you may have a look on the Korad KA3005P (https://www.welectron.com/Korad-KA3005P-Programmable-Benchtop-Power-Supply). Okay its price is higher but it is a really good linear power supply concerning the price. I use it since years and it is doing a very good job for a reasonable price.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:17:09 pm »
Woaw, although i have been searching for a long time, I have not came across that one yet - but many similar.

The problem with those were the pain-in-the-ass shipping fees to Denmark, but this has free shipping - yeaahh!!!

This seems to be a really good fit, but i have one questions about the outputs:

Is the negative supply connect to ground or is it a real dual supply, i.e. V-,ground,V+? 

Leo
High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

Offline slurry

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:25:53 pm »
Mascot 719 is a small and nice universal lab powersupply,
for that price it´s a nobrainer.

One thing to note is that the PSU uses fold-back current limiting, also, it's not as fast as many other, more modern, lab PSU's.
One good thing is that it is all linear, fairly low noise and the size is very nice.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:42:06 pm »

One thing to note is that the PSU uses fold-back current limiting, also, it's not as fast as many other, more modern, lab PSU's.
One good thing is that it is all linear, fairly low noise and the size is very nice.

Thanks for the input!

I do have two questions do:

By 'fast' do you mean the speed the output voltage will be able to change? Aka slew-rate? If yes, then that doesn't really matter for me.

And...

Does foldback current limiting have a huge impact on performance? If I were to operate it close to the max current spec.

Leo

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:25 pm »
This seems to be a really good fit, but i have one questions about the outputs:

Is the negative supply connect to ground or is it a real dual supply, i.e. V-,ground,V+? 
It's not connected! So it's stackable with other floating ground psus e.g.

Online Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:08:18 am »
This Mascot type 719 looks like a product from year 1970. For some strange reason it is produced till nowadays. At least it should have two meters!
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf