Author Topic: Rohde & Schwarz RTO1024 upgrade ??  (Read 18266 times)

Offline darkstar49Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Rohde & Schwarz RTO1024 upgrade ??
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:30:50 pm »
Hello together,

anyone ever attempted a h/w (mobo) and/or disk and/or OS upgrade of the PC part in an RTO ??

Just got an RTO1024, it works fine, but runs W7 embedded (x64) on a slow 160GB HDD, I'd like to at least replace the disk by an SSD, and eventually the mobo (Core 2 Duo currently, P8400), and also upgrade to W7 Pro, in order to install some additional software.
R&S just said that OS upgrade needs h/w upgrade (in a service center...), which I don't really believe, unless they took specific measures to prevent such an upgrade ??
The question in fact turns to: can the RTO software be user-installed on a blank OS, or is R&S needed for the initial installation ?

And... it has some options I'd hate to loose, anyone knows where these get stored ?? In a file ? Or in some EEPROM outside the mobo (like Lecroy) ?

I'll post some pics and results when I've some time, but would appreciate any info upfront...

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rohde & Schwarz RTO1024 upgrade ??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 02:12:24 pm »
I have an older RTE1104 -

I am almost certain you cannot go from W7 Embedded to W7Pro

Win Embedded systems are built specifically by the vendors with certain features added /removed.
I doubt that R&S will upgrade to W7Pro - I think they would offer to upgrade to a Win10 platform (and probably require H/W upgrade due to drivers - probably also drivers for DAQ cards / video cards) - probably not worth the price.

SSD upgrade is possible, but you need a FW CD / USB drive from R&S to boot from and install. I have done this on my RTE - makes the boot time and file saves faster (boot time ca. 1:30 from 2:30)

Anyone know how to enable options on these units?

If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 12:44:03 pm »
Hey, could someone with a Windows 7 RTO1000 use HWInfo (or something) to give me the dirty details of the RAM configuration?

Mine is an XP RTO1000, which ships with 2GB RAM as opposed to the 8GB standard on W7 RTO1000s. I've tried putting in new 2x4GB DDR3-1066 SODIMMs but haven't been able to get it to POST with them. For reference, here is what my current configuration looks like.

Offline Jackob

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 02:45:52 pm »

I upgraded the mechanical HDD to a SSD in my RTO1004. To do that you do not need anything from R&S - you just pop out the RTO HDD out from the scope, connect it to a PC and clone the HDD to a SSD. For cloning I used Norton Ghost. You can probably use also other HDD cloning softwares.

For the cloning I connected the RTO HDD and the SSD to SATA cables from my PC (when the PC was off), then booted the PC to DOS from an USB stick, run Ghost.exe from the same USB-stick and cloned the HDD to the SSD. I did the cloning via DOS to prevent my PC's OS from writing anything to the HDD to be cloned...

BR, Jackob

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 02:58:00 pm »
Clonezilla also works very well for cloning. I used Clonezilla for the last couple of cloning jobs and I used to be a die-hard Ghost user.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:11:05 pm »
Ditto. My HDD upgrade went smoothly, I just swapped in a new SATA SSD, cloned, and it worked.

RAM access was trickier. R&S had their resident sheet metal artist design a clever locking system that I was unable to defeat by grinding down hooks I had laying around. I wound up milling keys out of aluminum rod! There was probably an easier way, but that was mine: https://photos.app.goo.gl/M3uLj5EZG8Zk7qXB7

That's not the end of it, though. Apparently the supported RAM modules are a subset of those supported by the chipset -- which is why I'm in here begging for someone with an 8GB RTO to give me HWInfo RAM details :-)

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 05:13:12 pm »
Actually, I'd like to amend that a bit -- I probably should not have asked for HWinfo details, but rather for a SPDTool dump. SPDTool is still a relatively straightforward windows GUI, not a CLI morass, and I'll test + post test screenshots tonight if you want to wait.

Of course, beggars can't be choosers, so I'll take what I can get, be it HWinfo or a full SPD dump of a Win7 RTO :-)

I ask for the SPD because it is conceivable that R&S has been naughty and configured their BIOS to forbid any RAM modules that don't have a magic string in the SPD EEPROM. If that's the case, and this isn't merely a question of RAM geometry, the HWinfo dump alone wouldn't resolve the problem, whereas the SPD dump contains everything.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 10:38:34 pm »
So I've got Windows 7 and the 3.70.10 RTx software installed on the SSD I upgraded my XP-RTO1024 with. I was able to install both without any apparent hitch -- except that now if I try to run the RTO app it dies before getting to "scope mode" and complains about low RAM on account of only having 2GB instead of 8GB installed.

I downloaded and ran SPDTool for demonstration purposes. It didn't brick my scope, give it herpes, or even require laborious installation, it just spat out the SPD info of my 2 sad 1GB SODIMMs. Those are modules 0 and 2 in the screenshot -- module 7 is a 32MB framebuffer or something. If someone could do this on their 8GB scope and report the SPD of their 2x4GB SODIMMs I'd be much obliged :)

Offline MichalZ

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 06:41:33 am »
Hi, here you have,  from my RTO1004.
Please change .txt extension to .spd

Maybe some hacks for these baby ?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 01:34:55 pm »
Thanks! I've ordered those exact RAM modules  ;D

As for hacks, well, one thing at a time  :) I haven't managed to get into the scope app yet, but when I do, I will be able to see if the options carried over. I did a clean Win7 install, so that would mean they were stored in eeprom. If they don't carry over, I suppose I'll just have to experiment with copying files until they do...

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 02:25:40 am »
Success! I've upgraded my RTO1024 from 2GB RAM Windows XP to 8GB RAM Windows 7 -- which also lets me upgrade the "firmware" from 1.x to 3.x. It's a big step up. Many of the annoyances I had on the old firmware are gone and there are a ton of new features. Mostly locked, but still :-)

Here is the procedure:
* Ordered, installed a new, empty SSD (easy)
    - I looked for SATA-II compatibility because the chipset doesn't support SATA-III
    - Settled on Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G
    - It was the first SSD I tried and it worked great
    - The sheet metal screw tray made swapping the HDD super easy
* Got at the RAM (hard)
    - You need keys to slide out the CPU board
    - Here is the lock mechanism and how I made keys for it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/M3uLj5EZG8Zk7qXB7
    - There is undoubtedly another way. Hook tools, something to firmly press in the tabs from the outside... be inventive and share your results!
    - Do you really need 8GB RAM? Yes. I tried without. It was painful and didn't work.
* Ordered, installed 2x4GB RAM SODIMMs (easy)
    - I tried two theoretically chipset-compatible DDR3-1066 SODIMMs that didn't POST (black screen, no boot).
    - The RTO is a picky beast.
    - SODIMMs known to work:
        * 2x HMT351S6CFR8C-PB
        * 2x 16KTF51264HZ-1G6K1
        * 2x M471B5273BH1-CF8
* Installed Win7 Pro onto the empty new SSD (easy)
    - I followed instructions on MS help pages to make a USB stick
    - USB stick is before HDD in the RTO's boot order so it Just Works
    - I created a user "jon" before realizing this was different from XP's "instrument" user, but it didn't matter
* Installed R&S Firmware (easy)
    - Got it here: https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/firmware/rto1000/
    - Version 3.70.1.0
    - Install ran without a hitch
* Ran the RTx Application (easy)
    - It flashed a few FPGAs, restarted
    - Then "Error, FEC PicoBlaze not ready, switching to Service Mode > CreateDeviceFootprint() failed"
    - Terminated the Rtx app, ran it again with administrator privileges
    - This time it flashed the PicoBlaze correctly and landed in scope mode
    - The instrument model and old options populated automatically from the smartcard
    - Subsequent invocations don't seem to require admin, but subtly broken features are always a possibility

The following users thanked this post: tv84, abraxa, analogRF

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 03:54:47 am »
hi, my rto1024 upgrade is broken

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 12:02:10 pm »
Good news: I think I know the problem. If so, it's an easy fix  :)

All of those error messages in your first picture look familiar and normal. They are just part of the EEPROM upgrade process. They should disappear if you open the RTx app again. Once a flash succeeds it does not have to try again. If it tries again and again, that is when you know it is not working. For me, the FEC PicoBlaze messages happened every time I restarted RTx.exe until I figured out that I had to Run As Administrator. Once I did, and after one last flash, the errors went away.

Your "GB Receiver" (gigabit receiver) error is also familiar. I disassembled and reassembled my RTO, taking pictures along the way. I forgot to replace the ADC <-> FPGA cards the first time and I got GB Receiver errors. I put the cards in their proper place and the errors went away. It looks like you get one GB Receiver error for channels 3/4 -- I suspect the rightmost card was poorly seated, dirty, or the two acquisition boards did not have perfect vertical alignment. Easy to fix, so hopefully that is the real problem!

Video of upgrade errors: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yvJuXwGP9jxZReja7

All teardown photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/c66VTGmrUjgqRzRH9

I hear that google does not work well in China, so I also attached key photos to this post.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:33:10 pm by jjoonathan »

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »
Thank you, I exchange the ADC <> fpga small board, but it also error.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 06:21:29 pm »
Do you have service manual?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 06:25:32 pm »
Maybe try to clean the contacts of the interconnect boards with alcohol. Don't use contact spray (unless you want to put the oscilloscope in the trash next year)!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 07:11:04 pm »
To anyone thinking about upgrading but scared by this problem: you do not need to touch the acquisition boards to perform a WinXP -> Win7 upgrade. This is a separate problem. If you go ahead with an upgrade, resist the temptation to poke around at the acquisition boards. They have a mechanically weak connection that is easy to break and will land you in the same boat as myhobo if you do.

Sorry, I don't have a service manual.

However, we shouldn't need one. We know which circuit is responsible for the problem and we can guess how it works. There are 9 differential pairs coming out of each 8-bit ADC. This strongly suggests that the interface is parallel: one differential pair per bit plus one differential pair for data clock (generated by ADC). The problem could theoretically be anywhere in the ADC, but the ADC->FPGA bus is a known weak point. With the front and back screws removed, those three cards are the only mechanical connection keeping the top and bottom boards in vertical alignment. It would be very easy to accidentally break one of them, or, more likely, one of the sockets they plug into.  The fact that the problem is on channel 3/4 suggests it is the rear right card/socket that is problematic. If I understand correctly that you swapped the channel 1/2 card with the channel 3/4 card and the problem persisted, we should strongly suspect the problem is with one of the channel 3/4 sockets. Cleaning the sockets is a good idea but if one of the chn 3/4 sockets got crunched it won't be enough.

Strategy #1: test for connectivity with a multimeter.

Strategy #2: put a full-scale triangle or sawtooth waveform into channel 3/4 and look at the corrupted waveform. If bits (=diff pair channels) are pinned or scrambled, we should be able to tell which bits by looking at the resulting waveform. If the clock is bad, we will tend to see artifacts around bit transitions like 00111111 -> 01000000.

Strategy #3: cut the sheet metal at the back of the machine (it will need to be put back with foil) and use an EMC probe + spectrum analyzer to check each differential pair for activity.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:17:13 pm by jjoonathan »

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 07:29:24 pm »
Hey everyone, service passwords for 3.70.1.0    ;D

Enter them in File > Maintenance > Service > Password. If entered incorrectly, the message "Password incorrect" will display and the incorrect password will remain in the entry field. If entered correctly, no message will display but the password will vanish from the field and a new menu will be available according to the password entered.

Password: 894129
    File>Service
        VCO, OCXO DACs
        MSO alignment, thresholds, hysteresis, tests (HW missing)
        Power rail voltages, but checking "Get Values" doesn't actually get values
        AWG/Wavegen (HW missing)

Password: 16052008f
    File>Service 2
        ADC Temperatures, fan settings
        Droop DACs, Gain DACs, RDACs, CDACs, all the DACs you could want and more
        "Pro" calibration -- lots of detail, options (calibration options, not that kind of options, lol)
        Aux Out at frequencies other than  1GHz
        Interleave setup -- I'm not brave enough to poke it
        EEPROM flash

I'm most interested in the ADC temperatures. They aren't exposed to Windows as far as I can tell and I occasionally get overtemp errors on ADC2. Now I can keep an eye on it. It is indeed the hottest, though not by a gigantic margin. I wonder if there's a way to configure the fans to be a bit more aggressive?

The following users thanked this post: JohnG

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 07:42:44 pm »
Hey, there are team photos in the secret service menu  ;D

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 09:17:44 am »
this is my oscillioscope picture.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 02:45:56 pm »
Here is mine. The temperatures are a bit higher than I'd like. I tried putting new thermal paste on the ADCs. Even though I did find dried out crusty old paste it must have still been doing its job because replacing it with new arctic silver didn't do shit (didn't affect fan speed OR temperature). It was also a big pain in the ass and involved playing chicken with those connectors that gave myhobo so much trouble. Would not recommend.

I suspect the solution to the high temperatures will involve poking some of the fan-related EEPROM constants.

@myhobo is the problem fixed?

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 03:27:52 pm »
my oscillioscope's 3 & 4 channel is not working. this is rtc1's log
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:32:38 pm by myhobo »

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 02:13:44 am »
Wow, it looks like none of the traces are connecting properly. Have you beeped them with a multimeter? Do they have DC connectivity?

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 09:40:06 am »
Without power-on test, each is turned on, as if each pin is connected together.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 09:45:20 am »
Interface should be conductive

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 01:23:10 pm »
I am away from home for the week and cannot check but it seems unlikely that the problem is with those termination resistors / dc coupling capacitors. Do you have connectivity through the two 90 degree board-to-board connectors?

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 04:21:19 pm »
Hi jjoonathan,

Thanks for the pictures, but the
link for All teardown photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4gtMHPGbsLmii7yJ9 does not work, and returns an error. Can you re-upload?

Also do you have a picture of the frontend without the shielding/ heat-sink cover installed?

rgds

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:38:42 pm by TRN »

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 11:37:36 am »
I enter the service code 16052008f, then click flash, it can't be used now, the error is as follows

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 12:41:26 pm »
It looks like the flash was incomplete or put the wrong firmware on there.

Did it let you select the file?

Did it stop half way through flashing?

If you run the app as administrator and enter the service password, does it let you try again?

@TRN: I've fixed the teardown photo link, it should work now :)

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 01:17:03 pm »
Hmm, both the front panel and the FEC are missing material numbers. It seems unlikely that they both flashed incorrectly.

Hypothesis 1: a driver is broken. Running as administrator or re-installing the RTx app might fix this.

Hypothesis 2: a hardware connection upstream of both isn't fully seated.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 03:01:53 pm »
I have already run the install app as an administrator and stayed here. report error

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »
Which RTO software version do you have?

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2019, 06:14:22 pm »
jjoonathan,

Thanks for updating the link, which is much appreciated!

Do you have any pictures of the frontend without the shielding/ heat-sink cover installed?

rgds

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 09:05:46 pm »
Nope, I didn't remove the front end shield. I've seen some marketing material with front-end relays visible and a few die shots but nothing great.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 10:44:13 pm »
I downloaded the new firmware software from the R&S official website, the win7 version, the previous installation was successful. The night before, I used the service code 16052008f, entered the server 2 mode, clicked on the main flash, waited for a long time without response, then directly shut down, reboot Unable to use, after reinstalling the software, the operation will report the previous image error.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:30 pm »
Did it stop half way through flashing?

yes

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2019, 12:27:03 am »
Does it complain about missing material number if you try to flash now?

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 01:55:47 am »
yes

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2019, 02:00:04 am »
Pay attention to the picture, no material  number

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2019, 02:33:53 am »
Are both of the following visible in Device Manager?

R&S Realtime Oscilloscope > Measurement Hardware Controller

Rohde & Schwarz supported devices > R&S SMBus Device

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2019, 06:16:02 am »
first picture display device manager.
second picture display run app error.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2019, 12:45:37 pm »
Yeah, drivers look fine. I briefly looked through the software folders and the only flash tool I see is for the FPC (front panel). I don't know of any more easy things to try. I'm afraid the next step is to physically locate the EEPROMs and flash them manually.

You may be able to determine the correct contents from the files in RTx/3.70.1.0/Config/Base. If that doesn't work, find the EEPROMs on the front end and acquisition boards, post a list, and I'll see if I can fetch the contents from my own RTO1024.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:54 pm »
That's too bad, but anyway, thanks for all the other pictures :)

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2019, 01:28:44 pm »
thanks, i try, if you have eeprom file, please send to me.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2019, 02:14:24 pm »
I have not searched for the eeprom chips. You must find the eeprom chips. Show me which eeprom chips you want me to read. Circle them on a picture. I will open my unit and read them for you.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2019, 02:39:36 pm »
found this flash error

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2019, 05:34:42 pm »
Unfortunately the error code is just the id of the string "Error while flashing!" in Messages.xml. The error code doesn't contain more information about why the flash process failed.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2019, 02:06:18 am »
I have called China Maintenance Technical Support. They told me that I need to re-do the system. I have done the system before, and I have a problem.
Jjoonathan can you give me a complete mirror of your machine, thank you.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2019, 04:26:55 am »
My Windows 7 license would deactivate if we did that, wouldn't it?

If you need non-Windows files I am happy to provide them. However, earlier I was able to start with an empty hard drive, install Windows 7 Pro, and then install the 3.70.1.0 firmware without any problems. What is the problem?

The 3.70.1.0 firmware installs without problems into a virtual machine, the only difference being that it asks you for the model when it cannot detect the oscilloscope hardware. Does the firmware do something different on your machine?

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2019, 04:37:57 am »
I don't connect to the network installation, your serial number is no problem.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2019, 04:39:07 am »
my e-mail address 324170455@qq.com

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2019, 05:29:00 am »
How can I trust that?

I have sent you my old XP image.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:25 am »
I have downloaded it, but I can't open it, the file seems to be bad.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2019, 03:47:00 pm »
Image files normally have an .iso extension.

Your file is named "hdd.iso.squashes"

Remove .squashes ( i.e change the filename to hdd.iso), and try to extract

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2019, 07:22:56 pm »
I kept it in a SquashFS so that I could easily poke at it from linux while it was still in its compressed form.  The raw hdd.iso is 78GB of zeros and 2GB of data (or something), so maintaining compression was important. I've sent you both a link to hdd.iso.zip, which should be easier to work with on windows. Unzip it and you get the full 80GB mostly empty Windows XP partition image.

Same goes for keeping it off the internet: I don't really know the rules of Windows activation, and even though I have no plans to go back to this image I'd rather it not get deactivated if possible. Thanks :)

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2019, 12:33:29 am »
Thanks, I have been using iso files without compression.
As long as I don't connect to the network, your system will not have problems.
In China, we all use pirated copies. So I can be sure that there is no problem at this point.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 12:31:38 pm »
I tried the system you gave and reported errors.
what should I do? It costs $3000 to be sent to the official repair point.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 01:47:15 pm »
Darn, sorry to hear. None of your options are good, unfortunately :(

* You could dig through the firmware folder and look for EEPROM flash tools. I only saw one for FPC (front panel control) but you have stronger motivation so maybe you will see something I missed.

* You could track down the EEPROM. If it's not buried inside a 1,000,000 ball BGA I am willing to open up my own device and give you an EEPROM image.

* You could sell your RTO1024 for parts.

* You could pay R&S the repair price

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 02:22:07 pm »
Do you have any other service code? such as 16052008f

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 03:16:54 pm »
"16052008f" and "894129" are the only two codes I know.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2019, 04:08:04 am »
i found new error.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2019, 04:18:26 am »
These are firmware, but I don't know how to burn it.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2019, 11:44:51 am »
I don't know how to burn it either, sorry.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2019, 11:47:52 am »
Better sell it for parts and buy something else. I'm getting the feeling there is a lot more wrong with this oscilloscope than just a firmware flash gone wrong. You shouldn't have attempted flashing the firmware before getting the scope working the way it was. Now you have two problems and you don't know how they relate to eachother.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2019, 08:42:29 pm »
I am more hopeful than nctnico. I still think there is hope to find & flash the EEPROMs and fix the signal integrity problem. If you do decide to sell it for parts, I would possibly be interested in buying. Is taobao the place where equipment is sold for parts in China?

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck with your efforts.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2019, 12:31:15 am »
How much are you willing to pay for?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2019, 01:40:26 am »
@myhobo I know at least two of us sent quotes. Hopefully no news is good news!

In any case, on my RTO1024 the vertical and horizontal scale encoders are starting to skip codes. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm trying to decide between replacing just the two encoders going bad -- which have a different mfg date and model than the others -- and replacing all of the encoders, even though they're expensive little buggers that are difficult to source. Full details here.

More importantly, the broken encoders are ones without push functionality, and it's looking like the only replacements are pushable. Will this unlock secret hidden scale fine-tuning modes?  :scared:

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 02:50:41 am »
Update: no, no it doesn't. But it's sooo nice to have working encoders again  :)

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2019, 02:54:01 am »
Maybe someone here can help me. I have a RTO1022 that came with XP / 2gb RAM. The harddisk crashed. I used jjoonathan publised steps to reinstall it with Windows 7. Only things I may have done differently was that I didn't install any Windows update before running  RS firmware install 3.70.1.0 and also run RS firmware install 3.70.1.0 as Administrator. It installed a lot of software and drivers and rebooted. The first time it installed some FPGA firmware and rebooted again. Next time it tries to start but gives the error below and shuts down windows (not a clean shutdown). Any Ideia of what can be wrong?

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2019, 02:59:48 am »
I didn't activate windows (key is good, I just didn't connected it to the Internet... always seems like a bad ideia to me). Can this be a problem?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2019, 03:23:45 am »
I doubt that windows activation has anything to do with it, since we are seeing a bunch of errors that all have to do with Front End Controller communication. I have seen those particular errors before, although they never resulted in a hard reboot. They went away after the RTx.exe app successfully flashed the firmware, which did not happen until I ran RTx.exe with Administrator. You mention running the installer as Administrator, but it's not the installer that flashes the firmware, it's the RTx.exe app, the one that launches on startup and has a shortcut on the desktop (actually IIRC it's only the shortcut that is called "RTx.exe" and the actual app is "RTxLoader.exe" or something).

Have you tried running the app as Administrator?

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2019, 02:47:04 pm »
Some tricks and tipps for you guys on RTO1000 Series:

When you have FEC / FPGA Flash error etc. on first Firmware 3.70 start, exit the application and start over RtxLoader.exe as Administrator.

Flashing should be fine than... just be patient.

8GB RAM upgrade ONLY works on BIOS 1.01

You find the Flash tool in C:/Programfiles/Rohde Schwarz/3.70.xx/Tools/BIOS

Open a comandline cmd.exe as Administrator and Flash the RTO 1.01 file located in C:/Programfiles/Rohde Schwarz/Drivers

Than be happy with 8GB RAM :-)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:50:53 pm by Xavier64 »

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2019, 03:20:13 pm »
Thanks. I'm not with the scope now, will look later. This 1.01 is the CPU BIOS version, right? (The one we enter by pressing DEL at boot).

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2019, 04:09:31 pm »
Thanks. I'm not with the scope now, will look later. This 1.01 is the CPU BIOS version, right? (The one we enter by pressing DEL at boot).
YES Mainboard CPU bios we are talking about

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2019, 02:18:08 am »
Thank you all. Fixed the scope. I entered safe mode, removed the RTx.exe from auto start, rebooted, run RTx.exe as Administrator, a few more upgrades and a reboot and it's working fine as you can see below. Just one strange nuisance remains: touchscreen mouse is upside down. When I run my finger from up to down the mouse goes up. Any more ideas?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2019, 03:27:16 am »
The touchscreen vertical axis is flipped if you use the default Windows touchscreen driver. Search for "eGalax driver" to find the software from the display manufacturer. This software will restore the correct vertical orientation of touchscreen tracking. The eGalax calibration app is linked from within the RTx.exe software, so this must be reasonably close to the official configuration, but the "T-SCREEN LOCK" button doesn't work, so it isn't exact. Also, eGalax seems to crash every few hours and the touch screen locks up. You can get it working again by doing a Disable/Enable on the touch screen mouse in Device Manager.

If anyone knows the right way to set this up, I'd love to hear!

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2019, 06:11:04 am »
install this driver:

https://www.eeti.com/touch_driver/Win10/20230414/eGalaxTouch_5.14.0.23406-Release-230406-SingleTouchDev.zip

nothing should crash, I run my scope with Windows 7 embedded and ALL updates without any issues.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 09:58:36 pm by Xavier64 »

The following users thanked this post: dmendesf

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2019, 03:16:25 am »
Thanks, this driver worked after some fiddling. (Had to disable the instrument so screen calibration could run then enable back the instrument).

Offline sergeyklenov

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:21 am »
Maybe someone here can help me. I have a RTO1022 that came with XP / 2gb RAM. The harddisk crashed. I used jjoonathan publised steps to reinstall it with Windows 7. Only things I may have done differently was that I didn't install any Windows update before running  RS firmware install 3.70.1.0 and also run RS firmware install 3.70.1.0 as Administrator. It installed a lot of software and drivers and rebooted. The first time it installed some FPGA firmware and rebooted again. Next time it tries to start but gives the error below and shuts down windows (not a clean shutdown). Any Ideia of what can be wrong?

For note. Each device while start saves DeviceFootprint_*.xml file on disk. In x86 versions on c:\ and later it stores in C:\ProgramData....

This file contains all info about device. So if you move disk image to another scope this file will not match and software will give you error.
So need find this file and delete. New one will be created in next start of program.

Regards!

The following users thanked this post: dmendesf

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2019, 06:44:37 pm »
If anyone else worries about how hot R&S runs their unobtainium ADCs, here's how to run the fans a little faster and thereby obtain 10°C cooler running temperatures. If common knowledge is to be trusted, this should ~double the lifetime.

1. File > Maintenance > Service, enter "16052008f" into the Password field, and press the enter key. If successful, the text should disappear from the "Password" box.

2. File > Service 2 > Frontend Temps. Tick "GetHwTemperatures." Write down "FAN1 adjust" and "FAN2 adjust" (91 and 89 on mine). You can observe the thermal regulation by waiting for an ADC to wander above 100°C, watch "FAN1 adjust" briefly increase, followed by the ADC wandering back below 100°C.

3. Edit C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM\Frontend\Config.ini, changing ADCTEMP_OFFSET_CH* from -41 to -31.

4.  File > Maintenance > Frontend. This is where shit gets real and I must pause for a moment to remind you that I am describing a procedure that worked on *my* scope, not selling you a free insurance policy for modifying *your* scope. Once you decide to accept the risk, press "Flash frontend EEPROM" and "OK." A dialog should pop up "Flashing device in progress, please wait. Do not turn off the device!" In about 5 seconds, the dialog should disappear and you should see "Flashing successfully finished." in the upper right corner.

5. File > Exit

6. Wait for a few seconds and restart RTx.exe. If you did not wait long enough, it will launch/exit, and you should wait a bit longer before trying again.

7. Once the scope app has started, the new settings should be active.

Verification 1: in a quiet room, you should be able to hear difference in fan speed.

Verification 2: File > Maintenance > Frontend > (scroll to bottom) > ADC temp offset should be the new value -31 instead of the old value -41.

Verification 3: File > Maintenance > Service > Password: 16052008f, (press enter, text disappears), File > Service 2 > Frontend Temps, (tick GetHwTemperatures), FAN1 adjust should now be consistently higher than the value you wrote down in step 2. On my RTO, under the ambient temperatures of my bench, the steady state FAN1 adjust increases from ~91 to ~115 after applying this change.

General background information: the EEPROM gets read from the frontend and written to C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM\Frontend every time RTX.exe starts. When you modify a ini or dat file in that folder and choose "Flash frontend EEPROM," the files in C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM\Frontend get written to EEPROM. Same goes for the mainboard etc.

Happy hacking!

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2019, 07:00:40 pm »
Here is my C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM for reference.

There are no options stored in it. Those are on the smartcard, including bandwidth options, so I don't think it's such a big issue to share EEPROMs. I'm currently trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to clean up the frequency response: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rto1000-fancy-bnc/

There are some promising registers in C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\Dump, namely RTC1.EQ1.EQ1_COEF_BANK_0.ram and the like that suggest there might be an equalization filter available, but I haven't figured out which EEPROM settings feed into it, or even which settings might be used to tweak poles inside the amplifier / ADC.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2019, 12:30:12 pm »
My RTO1024 oscilloscope bios chip program is broken, the machine cannot start, can anyone help me copy the content of this chip, thank you

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2019, 12:31:01 pm »
I need the program file of this EEPRPOM, can anyone help me copy the program file of this chip, thank you

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2019, 12:44:20 pm »
hi,jjoonathan, i need you help

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2019, 04:06:25 am »
Here's the BIOS EEPROM from my notes. I'm in the middle of a project right now so I don't want to open my scope, but this weekend I'll get you a copy of that atmel chip.

Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: Belgarath

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2019, 05:28:12 am »
Thank you, I have this file. I use SPI to program with a programmer, but it still fails to start normally. I suspect it is a problem with burning some address settings. I need the original file of your bios chip and you need to read it from the sst25vf016b chip.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2019, 05:43:55 am »
Ah, that must have been the fie from the firmware then. Sorry, my bad! Here's the other one in my notes folder. These are the only two, so this should be it.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2019, 12:02:26 pm »
The rto1024 system can start again, but cannot run the oscilloscope software.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2019, 07:19:58 pm »
I'm glad to hear it's booting! I'll get you the mainboard EEPROM just as soon as I can open up my scope, but that probably won't be until the weekend.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2020, 02:56:14 am »
jjoonathan, can you provide me this eeprom file? thanks

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2020, 04:41:20 am »
I forgot how many screws were in this thing -- this is probably the last time I volunteer to go inside out of generosity alone. Here is the EEPROM. Good luck!

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2020, 01:04:58 pm »
Does anybody know if it is possible to upgrade an RTO1000 from Win7 to Win10?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2020, 04:39:04 pm »
Ah, you were asking about Win 7->10 not Win XP->7, so this thread doesn't actually answer your question. My bad!

I do have some info for you, though: the "firmware" installer works on Win10 in that it drops the app and drivers in place. I ran it in one of those free-from-Microsoft Internet Explorer compatibility test VMs once, so there was no actual oscilloscope hardware and as a result the app did not run, but their coding style is very by-the-book (stub drivers, communication through COM) so I bet it Just Works if you install Windows 10.

I didn't actually go forward with installing Windows 10 on my scope because Win7 works and I don't want Win10-isms like background updates to Candy Crush or bundled advertisements to tank my framerate.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2020, 05:28:19 pm »
Thanks and no problem.

The reason I am asking is that I actually installed win10 on my RTO, and to avoid issues with background updates and other installations of win10 bogus bloatware, I installed the Enterprise 2019 LTSC version, which should not have this problem.
The installation went well, but while installing firmware version 3.70, a win10 error popped up initiating a restart, after which the operating system refused to boot.
All win10 repair attempts failed, so the only way to get Win10 to boot was to restore it to before the firmware installation.
I also tried to install firmware version 4.75, and this installation actually completed, but after the required reboot Win10 ran into the same problem

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2020, 02:54:38 pm »
Good call on the LTSC version. Sounds like the drivers really are incompatible, though. Since neither 3.7 nor 4.5 drivers prevented my win10 VM from booting, I suspect it's actual code that's breaking, not just a silly metadata version compatibility check or something. Bummer.

In addition to the critical drivers and services (a PCIe driver for the analog front end, a SPI driver (over USB, maybe?) to load EEPROMs and such, and a service to read licenses off the smartcard) there are a bunch of less-necessary ones. If the problem is with one of those, there might be hope. I'd check by booting into safe mode and disabling the critical stuff in device manager. If that fixes the boot, it's bad news, and means the problem is with a critical driver. If not, it's good news, and you could track down the non-critical culprit, disable it, and be good to go.

Even if that didn't work, permissions are another "silly" thing that tends to mess with compatibility and ultimately be fixable. There might be some hope down that road, but I'm not a windows driver guy, so I don't know if there are "compatibility" flags to set on drivers like there are on EXEs.

Obviously I'm just throwing things at the wall, here. It really depends how far you want to chase this down. Good luck and keep us updated if you decide to give it another round!

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2020, 10:23:37 am »
Thanks for the feedback, and I will try to dig into this a little further, and will let you know if there is anything to report

Offline Diesus

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2021, 02:19:03 am »
@myhobo
I hope that you can help me.
Im saw a oscilloscope RTO1024 in ebay, so I'm thinking to buy it or not and it depends of your response so this oscilloscope has the same issues that your reported with self alignment failing, and even didn't detect the channels. I attached the pictures with the issue.
Can you tell me the last status of your investigation? Was you able to fix it?
This to understand if the effort to repair the oscilloscope is worth it.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2021, 10:27:40 am »
Hi Diesus,

As far as I know, myhobo was unable to fix the issues with his scope.

The mask-test results from the partial self-test log indicate that there is no communication between the ADC's & the Gigabit receivers on any channel.

This might mean that;

1)either, all ADC's on the frontend board are defect, which is very unlikely
2 there is something wrong with the two HSEC8 Boards which connect the front-end with the main board, which is also very unlikely.
3)there is a problem with the two RTC ASIC's, which is more likely.

These ASIC's are manufactured by R&S, and they do not sell these. So if the problem is related to them you are out of luck.

So in my opinion it is very unlikely that you will be able to fix this scope.

Offline leonardo

« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2023, 03:31:52 pm »
Hello,

Does anybody manage to hack the RTO software options? R&S still sell those options?

Offline nix239

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2023, 10:41:02 pm »
Hi.
I have couple of questions.
1. I have old hdd with FW 2.45.1.1 but some files are damaged and now options not work. maybe sombody have image or same fw file.
2. Update to 3.70 solve problem with options?Сan i revert to 2.45.1.1 with old hdd if something goes wrong?

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2023, 04:39:31 pm »
Hi,

The RTO option keys are saved in the smart card, and not in the firmware.

If your options stopped working with FW version 2.45.1.1, because of some corrupted/damaged files, upgrading to  FW version 3.70 should resolve your issue.

Be advised that installing FW version 3.70 will require that you install OS Win 7 on your system which will also require installation of 8 GB ram versus the 2GB installed on the WinXP systems
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 04:48:13 pm by TRN »

Offline nix239

« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2023, 10:19:56 pm »
Already done. but ther some problem in ch1 . and i cant calibrate.
I revert to old hdd reflash hardware and back to normal state on adc1 .

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2023, 03:18:26 pm »
OK, that is a weird phenomena, that Ch1 has an issue with the newer FW and not with the older one.

What exactly was the problem; an alignment issue on CH1, or a calibration issu on this channel.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2023, 09:26:08 am »
Already done. but ther some problem in ch1 . and i cant calibrate.
I revert to old hdd reflash hardware and back to normal state on adc1 .

Since you managed to reflash the HW wth the old FW, and CH1 is now ok & calibrates, I would try to upgrade the FW to 3.70 again, to see if this recreates the problem.

Offline nix239

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2023, 09:02:51 pm »
Found problem. frontend on lo voltage 50 ohm damaged. it cant do selftest on 3.70 because type of signal

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2023, 03:32:10 pm »
Success! I've upgraded my RTO1024 from 2GB RAM Windows XP to 8GB RAM Windows 7 -- which also lets me upgrade the "firmware" from 1.x to 3.x. It's a big step up. Many of the annoyances I had on the old firmware are gone and there are a ton of new features. Mostly locked, but still :-)

Here is the procedure:
* Ordered, installed a new, empty SSD (easy)
    - I looked for SATA-II compatibility because the chipset doesn't support SATA-III
    - Settled on Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G
    - It was the first SSD I tried and it worked great
    - The sheet metal screw tray made swapping the HDD super easy
* Got at the RAM (hard)
    - You need keys to slide out the CPU board
    - Here is the lock mechanism and how I made keys for it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/M3uLj5EZG8Zk7qXB7
    - There is undoubtedly another way. Hook tools, something to firmly press in the tabs from the outside... be inventive and share your results!
    - Do you really need 8GB RAM? Yes. I tried without. It was painful and didn't work.
* Ordered, installed 2x4GB RAM SODIMMs (easy)
    - I tried two theoretically chipset-compatible DDR3-1066 SODIMMs that didn't POST (black screen, no boot).
    - The RTO is a picky beast.
    - SODIMMs known to work:
        * 2x HMT351S6CFR8C-PB
        * 2x 16KTF51264HZ-1G6K1
        * 2x M471B5273BH1-CF8
* Installed Win7 Pro onto the empty new SSD (easy)
    - I followed instructions on MS help pages to make a USB stick
    - USB stick is before HDD in the RTO's boot order so it Just Works
    - I created a user "jon" before realizing this was different from XP's "instrument" user, but it didn't matter
* Installed R&S Firmware (easy)
    - Got it here: https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/firmware/rto1000/
    - Version 3.70.1.0
    - Install ran without a hitch
* Ran the RTx Application (easy)
    - It flashed a few FPGAs, restarted
    - Then "Error, FEC PicoBlaze not ready, switching to Service Mode > CreateDeviceFootprint() failed"
    - Terminated the Rtx app, ran it again with administrator privileges
    - This time it flashed the PicoBlaze correctly and landed in scope mode
    - The instrument model and old options populated automatically from the smartcard
    - Subsequent invocations don't seem to require admin, but subtly broken features are always a possibility

does the scope recover its calibration data?
my scope came with no HDD or the caddy. Any idea if I can get a caddy from anywhere that will fit?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf