Author Topic: Screen flickering on DS1052E  (Read 23594 times)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Screen flickering on DS1052E
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 11:53:20 pm »
I don't know, but Rigol has posted it on their website as a 'fix' so I presume they know there is a bug.  But there are firmware upgrade instructions on the Rigol link, just fill in the form with bogus info, you'll get through so you can download it.

But since the DSO is under warranty you should officially speak to the Rigol folks via email and mention the issue, before doing the fix, I think the firmware instructions mention this so at least they are aware of your complaint and can confirm the fix will work, or not.

You may want to read the 1052e hack thread, but there is a firmware update at the Rigol website, just touch base with Rigol USA before attempting to change yours:
http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/

Well, the firmwares on Rigol's site are 02.04.00.03 and 02.02.02.00, neither of which should be compatible with hw58, right?  I don't even really care if it's hackable or not, I'd love to downgrade to 02.04.01.02 just because it's apparently much more stable, but I didn't think it was possible.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline kyrenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 12:13:34 am »
I don't know, but Rigol has posted it on their website as a 'fix' so I presume they know there is a bug.  But there are firmware upgrade instructions on the Rigol link, just fill in the form with bogus info, you'll get through so you can download it.

But since the DSO is under warranty you should officially speak to the Rigol folks via email and mention the issue, before doing the fix, I think the firmware instructions mention this so at least they are aware of your complaint and can confirm the fix will work, or not.

I've emailed them about it, but haven't heard back.  I looked at the hex dump of the two firmware files available, one marked v2 SP2 (seems to be 02.02.02.00), and the other one marked v2.04 (seems to be 02.04.00.03).  The 1052e hack thread would have me believe that downgrading to those would not work, and that they would be incompatible with the hw58 scopes.  Guess I'll wait to see what Rigol says.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 01:30:35 am »
I've emailed them about it, but haven't heard back.
lucky you if you got the reply next week.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline looser101

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 12:13:55 am »
I'm experiencing the same problem.

DSP 00.00
FPGA 02.00
hw58

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:44 am »

DSP 00.00
FPGA 02.00
hw58

It looks like a bad batch or firmware bug. Anybody heard from Rigol ?
If you have a 'useful' contact at Rigol I wouldn't mind knowing his email address

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 11:43:00 am »
How did https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2788.msg37693#msg37693

fair? He bought from a local dealer, and the link above was his solution.

DSP 00.00
FPGA 02.00
hw58

It looks like a bad batch or firmware bug. Anybody heard from Rigol ?
If you have a 'useful' contact at Rigol I wouldn't mind knowing his email address
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline looser101

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »
I contacted Rigol on their website last night.  I asked if, what I am experiencing, might be a firmware or a hardware problem.  This was their response:

Dear ********?

Thanks for contacting with RIGOL.
As with your question  ?it's probably the firmware problem.
so please turn to our local agency where you purchase it  for direct
support.
If there is any other question ?please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your great support to RIOGL.

Since I bought it from DX and I'm in Canada, I will probably wait it out.  One thing I did notice was that after several hours powered on, it did seem to stop (~3hrs).

Offline kyrenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »
Sorry for posting in such an old thread, but since other people are having the same issue I figured it would be good to reply.

I got a new scope from Saelig a while ago, but nearly identical behavior.  I figured this would be the case after so many other people saw the same issue.

Since there is now a way to downgrade from 00.02.05.02.00, I was able to do the normal DS1052 -> DS1102 hack, and as part of that went back to firmware 02.04 sp1 (whatever specific version that the ds1052 hack thread recommends, can't remember).

The problem seems to be entirely gone, and I have a much better scope to boot!

So yeah, go forth and downgrade.

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 07:15:38 pm »
@Kyren
Thanks for the feedback. I reported the same problem too.
Now with the 'downgrade facility' being made available. I don't see why Rigol can't release an official firmware update to fix this problem.

Whoever wants to change the bandwidth can, either by firmware or hardware modification. Rigol should concentrate on eradicating the reported bugs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf