Author Topic: screensaver for Keithely 2000?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
screensaver for Keithely 2000?
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:51:27 pm »
Hello my friends,

I would like my Keithley 2000 to switch screen off (either manually or after inactivity) to preserve the VFD. I don't want to switch the whole unit off because of warm up. Has anyone implemented this yet?

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
Re: screensaver for Keithely 2000?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:54:20 pm »
You can blank/turn off the screen using GPIB.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, exe

Offline exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 10:06:20 pm »
You can blank/turn off the screen using GPIB.

I was thinking about this, but my device not connected and I don't have a gpib-usb/lan adapter :(. And ideally I'd like to have this feature not depend on GPIB and external programs that I would need to run every boot. But looks like there is no easy way so far.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:09:08 pm by exe »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 10:16:30 pm »
You don't need GPIB, you can use the RS232 port. A very cheap serial to USB converter is all that is needed. We are talking <$5 here.

I don't understand why you need to keep the meter switched on all the time unless you are doing some data logging, in which case a serial or GPIB would be required anyway?

Also, the Keithley 2000's are notorious for "screen savers" anyway because without any input they just blast through every possible digit on the VFD due to the extremely high input impedance. It's part of their charm, if you will  ;)

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:07:48 am »
VFD displays have two wearout mechanisms.  The first is filament degradation (blanking the display will not help this).  The second is phosphor degradation.  Blanking the display will help this.  Phosphor degradation seems to be the most prominent.  I have a lot of equipment with weak VFDs,  but segments that are not usually lit are still nice and bright.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:00:18 am »
I don't understand why you need to keep the meter switched on all the time unless you are doing some data logging, in which case a serial or GPIB would be required anyway?

I do a lot of quick measurements and I just don't want to switch it on every time I need it. Say, I need it just for 10s once in 10 minutes or so.

Also, the Keithley 2000's are notorious for "screen savers" anyway because without any input they just blast through every possible digit on the VFD due to the extremely high input impedance. It's part of their charm, if you will  ;)

It can just switch display off if no keys present last, say, 5 minutes.

May be I'm exaggerating the problem, but when my Keithley came it was dim and different segments had different brightness, which was annoying. I spent another ~100euro just for new display and it was quite pain in the ass to replace it. Now there is no replacement displays on the market. So, I'd like to preserve VFD as long as possible.

Offline exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:02:02 am »
You don't need GPIB, you can use the RS232 port. A very cheap serial to USB converter is all that is needed. We are talking <$5 here.

Um, I need to check what's on the back of my unit. If it has rs232 then this is very-very good! Thanks for suggestion.

Offline saturnin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:44:16 am »
You can use the built-in display test as a screensaver. There are various modes in the test that exercise different segments on the display. Choose the mode that uses segments that are not normally lit. This is how you can easily reduce wear of the display when you don't need to use your multimeter for a while.

During the display test, multimeter still measures and evaluates input signal (e.g. stores data to the buffer).

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:03 pm »
If you can control the display over RS-232 it should be easy to make a small box with a micro and a button that sends the display on / off command when you press the button.   No need to dedicate a laptop / etc just to control the display.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 05:35:45 pm »
What software program are you using to toggle the VFD? I just got n OEM GPIB cable for my secondhand 2000 and want to run KickStart but the 2000 is not supported? A quick google search returns LabView as the primary candidate. Is LabView my best choice or are their other programs available? I just want to capture and graph data over thirty day periods. I have two K2000's, the coax coupler, and one OEM GPIB.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:37:21 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 06:32:48 pm »
What software program are you using to toggle the VFD? I just got n OEM GPIB cable for my secondhand 2000 and want to run KickStart but the 2000 is not supported? A quick google search returns LabView as the primary candidate. Is LabView my best choice or are their other programs available? I just want to capture and graph data over thirty day periods. I have two K2000's, the coax coupler, and one OEM GPIB.

I've played around with it using the TekVisa software that I already had to control some of my other gear. It seems to work, though I didn't to much more than just play around.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline jorgemef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 10:07:34 pm »
Just in case someone is still looking for answears, you can use testcontroller to send commands to Keythly2000

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf