Author Topic: Sd card slot on DSO5072p main board.. how to initialize/mount or use it..  (Read 2059 times)

Offline turboglennTopic starter

I recently bought the Hantek DSO5072p Oscilloscope,  I did the 200Mhz hack right away and have been happily playing and fiddling around trying to learn more about electronics as I go.  ( I mainly needed the scope for electronic fuel injection work I do, but being that my father was an EE, I've always had a desire to learn as much as I can as I'm always building something that needs electronics interfacing hardware...

Anyway wish I had time for a proper introduction but I've got company and dinner is about on the table, so i'll cut to the point.

Today out of boredom I was putting a permanent Serial connection on the back of the DSO using a 3.5mm stereo/audio jack  well while in there I noticed there's an Sd card slot, so I formatted a 4gb card in fat32 and put it in before reassembling the DSO....  Now I have a couple greyed out options dealing with SD but they are as I said greyed out...even a blued out "video" in one of the waveform saving menus.

So,  #1)  How do I mount and/or format the SD card so it's recognized and mounted upon boot....I have a little Linux experience but it's minimal at best (some backtrack/Kali Linux)

#2.) On the 200mhz bandwidth upgrade.... one video shows removing two SMD capacitors that sit at an angle (hard to describe but sure anyone who's done the mod knows)  I was wondering how much will I benefit from removing these, or is there any detrimental effect from doing this without some other work on the input side?

But mainly I'd like to be able to use the video function on the scope if it can record my waveforms I'm taking especially when I'm sampling from some of the hard to get to areas on my race car's ECU harness, or watching the secondary side of the ignition would be nice to be able to record and play it backl and watch the differences in burn time and spark voltage. plus I just like more buttons to push to be honest so if anyone can help me on this I'd much appreciate it

Thank
Glenn

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Sd card slot on DSO5072p main board.. how to initialize/mount or use it..
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:01:01 pm »
While I'm not familiar with that particular scope, there are a number of DSOs that come in different bandwidth ratings and typically the lower bandwidth scopes will have some capacitors to limit the bandwidth of the front end. Assuming that's the case, you will not actually have the 200MHz bandwidth without removing the capacitors.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:46 pm »
ok, that's what I was wondering.....  And for the other question,  any idea on how to mount or format the SD card I put in the slot that was on the board so that the scope can record video or whatever else it might do with that slot?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »
I have no idea, that's why I didn't comment on that. I'm sure someone else who is more familiar with these scopes has a better idea though.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:51:11 pm »
While I'm not familiar with that particular scope, there are a number of DSOs that come in different bandwidth ratings and typically the lower bandwidth scopes will have some capacitors to limit the bandwidth of the front end. Assuming that's the case, you will not actually have the 200MHz bandwidth without removing the capacitors.
In modern scopes usually there are no capacitors for this and hardware is exactly the same. The only limit is in software which then sets some IC in the signal path to limit the bandwidth.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:38 am »
Sooo...here it is some time later and I still cannot find a single thing on the web or elsewhere about the use fo the SD card slot on the main board of my oscope..hoping maybe this catches the eye of someone who missed it last time it was at the top and maybe catch a little info on the subject. Any advise on where I could find this stuff out would also be appreciated

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf