Author Topic: SDS1104X-E and WiFi password with special characters  (Read 1842 times)

Offline tubularnutTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
SDS1104X-E and WiFi password with special characters
« on: October 10, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »
I've just been trying out the WiFi option on my SDS1104X-E, using the TP Link TL-WN725N, gold version adapter.

My current WiFi password has a special character in it ($), and the scope will not connect using this password.

If I change the password on the network to remove the character, and update the scope, then it connects successfully.

Is this a known issue that is going to be resolved, or must I resort to using a less secure WiFi password? I haven't tried other characters yet.

I can see that others have had issues with the SSID naming, but can't find any posts about the password.

Firmware is 7.6.1.26

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: SDS1104X-E and WiFi password with special characters
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:41:58 pm »
I think you can investigate with SCPI commands to see if you can do that (and to check if it's only a GUI restriction).

The SDS X-E accepts these 2 commands:

WEB:PSW?
WEB:PSW

I don't know the exact syntax but you could try these to set the password:

WEB:PSW "1234$1234"

or

WEB:PSW '1234$1234'

or

WEB:PSW 1234$1234

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 07:06:27 am »
Thank you, I'll give that a try later.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:09:59 am »
Unfortunately, as I expected from the command syntax, that sets the password for the WEB GUI Interface, as I found out after the next reboot and connection.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:14:27 am by tubularnut »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:52:24 am »
Unfortunately, as I expected from the command syntax, that sets the password for the WEB GUI Interface, as I found out after the next reboot and connection.

:( Didn't know it had a web GUI password.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:21 am »

:( Didn't know it had a web GUI password.

Lol! Neither did I for certain until afterwards  :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 10:49:36 am »
Well, I've found that '%' works ( '&' does not), so I'll leave it on that for the moment. Others may or may not work.

I did find find however (by accident), that if you have a password for example 'part1part2$part3' set on the scope, but have only 'part1part2' set on your wireless router/access point, then it will connect successfully!

So it appears that the scope is only sending out the password to the router up until the '$' symbol, so this is clearly a firmware bug.

PS. I tried this on 2 routers (Sky Q and Apple Airport), using WPA2-PSK and WPA/WPA2-PSK

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 02:21:10 pm »
Which means that if the char is not on the limited/restricted list of possible pwd chars, the string is truncated at that point.

I don't conclude it's a bug. I'm more convinced that it's a feature. A poor feature but a feature. In other places, this sanitizing precludes other wrong doings but, nowadays, in a password it doesn't make sense.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 02:34:27 pm »
Oh well, thank you for your input anyway, it’s been an interesting exercise :)

Offline vtwin@cox.net

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:02:17 pm »
& and $ have special meaning in the linux world, so it might be necessary to escape them with a \ in order to get the software to properly process them.

You could also telnet into the scope and edit the wifi configuration file manually.
A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 01:12:25 pm »
& and $ have special meaning in the linux world, so it might be necessary to escape them with a \ in order to get the software to properly process them.

You could also telnet into the scope and edit the wifi configuration file manually.

Thank you, I'll have a go with the escape, and editing the wifi config.

However, if the password is being handled correctly by quoting, then any special characters would lose their meaning.

Also, I use special characters in many passwords across many web sites, and except the very few that do not accept any special characters at all, none so far have a problem with a $ or other characters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf