Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E Hack to 200Mhz, and full options ?  (Read 6549 times)

Offline TheNewLab

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E Hack to 200Mhz, and full options ?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 04:08:52 pm »
S.Garrix has the procedure for hacking the options, there are some questions though. No one has confirmed if it works for their units. It should be the same for all three of the 1000X-E models

Offline SaKhan

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 02:59:52 am »
I did the following trying to make the wifi option permanent:

After confirming that the value in /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/options_wifi_times.txt gets decremented after each boot, I remounted /usb/bin/siglent read-write and changed /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/options_wifi_times.txt with the plugged wifi dongle back to 30. After rebooting, both files had the same value - 30 and any further reboots didn't decrement it anymore. I tried several things afterwards to revert the hack but I couldn't, so if you intend to try it keep that in mind. I hope also that these were the correct steps as I tried that 2 weeks ago. Don't forget also to execute sync and remount read-only afterwards.

Offline kahuna0k

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 03:11:59 pm »
hi, I'm trying to flash the _eevblog OS to gain root access, but when I plug the USB and power on nothing happens. The scope just starts as usual and the known password doesn't work. I've tried formatting and copying the files from Linux and Windows, from two different computers and in two different USB keys, all with the same result. My scope already come with 7.1.6.1.25 R2 software version (FPGA Version 2018-03-06 and HW Version 01-03). Could this be the reason? I tried to update the OS using the official firmware and nothing happen either (probably because it is already running that version). Any hint?

Offline tv84

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 07:19:02 pm »
hi, I'm trying to flash the _eevblog OS to gain root access, but when I plug the USB and power on nothing happens. The scope just starts as usual and the known password doesn't work. I've tried formatting and copying the files from Linux and Windows, from two different computers and in two different USB keys, all with the same result. My scope already come with 7.1.6.1.25 R2 software version (FPGA Version 2018-03-06 and HW Version 01-03). Could this be the reason? I tried to update the OS using the official firmware and nothing happen either (probably because it is already running that version). Any hint?

The equip isn't recognizing the USB. Verify that you can save files to the USB key to check if it's available. You should be able to upgrade indefinitely.

Offline kahuna0k

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 07:39:39 pm »
I'm able to capture files with the print button to the usb drive. They appear under \PNG and look ok. I've also tried with a Raspberry Pi (as suggested somewhere else) with the same result. Updating the firmware works without problems (through the menus). The problem is that the scope ignore the update to the OS. When booting it access the usb drive (the light lights up 3 times for around 2 seconds each and 1 last time for around 1 second.  The files in the root of the USB are:
devicetree.dtb
rootfs.cramfs
sds1004x_e_udiskEnv.txt
uImage

in the pdf it seems that the .txt does not have the extension, but I suppose it is because Windows hides it by default. Anyway I tried without the .txt and didn't work either. Also in the PDF, the uImage seems to have a space after ("uImage "), but probably is a mistake, I think it is possible to have a space at the end of a filename in FAT32 but it is not trivial to achieve. Running out of things to try. Right now I'm trying to explot the fact that the SHELLCMD SCPI command is executed as root to change the password, but it is not that easy, "passwd -d root" seems to do nothing, probably because /etc is mounted as read only. Could anybody with root access execute mount (if possible with a USB inserted) and pasted it here?

Offline kahuna0k

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 07:49:11 pm »
well, after trying with the 3rd USB drive it worked ... Murphy is around me :)

Offline tv84

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:06 pm »
but it is not that easy, "passwd -d root" seems to do nothing, probably because /etc is mounted as read only. Could anybody with root access execute mount (if possible with a USB inserted) and pasted it here?

If that was possible, life would be easier for everyone. You can't do that because CRAMFS is RO. That's why the FS needs to be patched beforehand.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Starting with DLL21
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 12:00:01 am »

One question, and if someone other wonder, do not think anything,  this is only because i am curious and investigative nature.  ;)

These USB drive sizes, and speed version, these what fails and this what work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:02:02 am by rf-loop »
If practice and theory is not equal it tells that used application of theory  is wrong or the theory itself is wrong.
It is much easier to think an apple fall to the ground than to think that the earth and the apple will begin to move toward each other and collide.

Offline kahuna0k

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 09:31:39 am »

One question, and if someone other wonder, do not think anything,  this is only because i am curious and investigative nature.  ;)

kingston 16GB USB2 -> fail
samsung 16GB USB3 -> fail
sharkoon accelerate 32GB USB3 -> success

Offline tubularnut

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 06:00:58 pm »
Kingston DataTraveler G4 32GB usb3 = success
Lexar 8GB usb2 = success

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Starting with DLL21
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 06:38:17 pm »

kingston 16GB USB2 -> fail
samsung 16GB USB3 -> fail
sharkoon accelerate 32GB USB3 -> success

Good, it also gives a signal that the Siglent's the instructions are based on something.

Instructions for OS update tell it clearly:  8G or 32G.
In my logic it do not include 16G at all.
(But still I do not know why  16G is prohibited. I am curious to know why.
But if manufacturer set this kind of rule and if I understand or not  what is reason I still follow it. )

If practice and theory is not equal it tells that used application of theory  is wrong or the theory itself is wrong.
It is much easier to think an apple fall to the ground than to think that the earth and the apple will begin to move toward each other and collide.

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2018, 08:33:49 pm »
I guess the instructions should use the word "MUST" instead of "should" in that case. Just to reduce the amount of ? ? ?!?!?%%#***@!! from users.

Offline tv84

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 08:46:38 pm »
Siglent designers seated at the coffee table: "let's do this work only in 8GB and 32GB sizes!"  :-DD

BTW i suggest that you should all report a few other details of the USB disks (namely the controller):
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdm3045x-boot-hang/msg1565089/#msg1565089

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 11:08:07 pm »
Worked fine when I used a 4Gb USB drive.

Offline Coldblackice

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 08:26:36 am »
Anyone had any further progress (or luck!) on this? I'm considering getting this scope and would love to help out, if it's still thought that achieving this would be feasible.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 08:34:08 am »
Anyone had any further progress (or luck!) on this? I'm considering getting this scope and would love to help out, if it's still thought that achieving this would be feasible.
You can find some info here:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds1104x-e-hack-to-200mhz-and-full-options/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Coldblackice

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 01:48:43 pm »
You can find some info here:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds1104x-e-hack-to-200mhz-and-full-options/

Thanks, but was that link meant to point somewhere else? It points to this same thread. I read through the thread + how to do it, but was wondering how this has been faring for those who have tried it:

• Does it actually work vs. just appearing to support/run at 200mhz?
  • Has anyone noticed any issues?
  • Have firmware updates affected it?
  • etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:55:56 pm by Coldblackice »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2018, 01:55:39 pm »
Thanks, though was that link meant to point to somewhere else? It points to this same thread. Unless I'm misunderstanding the current status of this: my understanding is that the hack wasn't fully working/fleshed out (based on the followup discussion in the thread). If not,
Sorry.

Read here too:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Coldblackice

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf