Author Topic: SDS1202X 200MHz + FREE Decode license  (Read 6148 times)

Offline conanderTopic starter

• Contributor
SDS1202X 200MHz + FREE Decode license
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:20:21 am »
Hello,
I bought the osciloscope of the subject and it came with a decode license for I2C bus. Does any body knows how can I introduce the license?
Regards

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: SDS1202X 200MHz + FREE Decode license
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:59:56 am »
Hello,
I bought the osciloscope of the subject and it came with a decode license for I2C bus. Does any body knows how can I introduce the license?
Regards
It should be installed already. In the Utility menu , the Options sub menu should display Decode as Permanent.
If not, your supplier needs the scope SN# and the scope ID # both of which are in the System Status page.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: conander

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »
Hello,
Regards

Have you license key? Have you aktivated decode functions with key or are they already activated by seller?

As @tautech told when I was writing status can see on system display.

If you have not license yet (typically it do not come with scope - exept if purchased from me  because I care also this for customer for avoid any extra hassle customer side. Also some other seller may do this but I believe there is not so many.

So, priority is this if you do not have license key yet.
1. Open scope information display.
There is scope ID.  Copy it exactly as it is.
Send this and your scope serial number to seller and ask he arrange license key.

2. In case that seller do not help you then this other road:
 Contact directly Siglent.

Send document about purchase (date and seller or even better invoice copy)
Serial number
Scope ID

There in Siglent they can generate this license key.

(this is because ID is needed and this can get only after scope is running)

Only together with ID and Serial there is possible to generate license key. So, if Seller did not run scope he also can not get key from Siglent.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:12:36 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:12:36 pm »
Further to info offered already, a dealer can order a unit from the factory with any or all options installed before shipping and when we do we never see the option enable keys.
We sometimes do this when we have an order to supply a Siglent unit configured in a certain way.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:55:16 pm »
And one thing to remember is that you may need to select what kind of license you are installing first. Last time I installed a license on a Siglent scope it didn't work because the process wasn't very obvious. Maybe it got improved in the meantime...
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:48:35 pm »
Further to info offered already, a dealer can order a unit from the factory with any or all options installed before shipping and when we do we never see the option enable keys.
We sometimes do this when we have an order to supply a Siglent unit configured in a certain way.

Yes, this is true, specially if it is ordered from Shenzhen factory.

Perhaps also Siglent European stock in Hamburg can do this if ask? I have never asked it. Normally when order include options they do not activate these.  Same is with FW. Many times FW is older than most new.

But, it is not problem because in every case I do small form ~24h pre aging and after then check equipment with some measurements that all looks normal.  Only if customer want he get unopened factory sealed carton, of course he get what he want.

So far, no one has asked equipment without my tiny quality control. Risk for  new fail fiasco "lemon"  is small but if buyer get "lemon" when he just get new equipment  after perhaps long waiting and perhaps hard money saving situation is really miserable.

If he turn equipment on out from box and find this have fatal problem. Situation is more bad than terrible. Always this is possible but all need do for reduce probability. This do not cost much, if compare it to situation what it cost if there is "lemon" in carton. First it is big hassle to correct situation with change/repair but also, getting back loosed disappointed customer. No one have enough money for this.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:32:55 pm »
Can we ask the OP if he has his Decode option working correctly and showing as permanent now?

If it was not installed as a permanent licence it will still work correctly until the trial licence expires.
Siglent trial times are "activations" except those in the new SA which are hours.
Any option can be toggled on and off with its function key, the key for Decode is on the right of the front panel.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 01:09:45 pm »
Tautech or rf-loop:

Can either of you tell me (aside from the obvious hardware differences like bandwidth, sample rate, channels, case design, etc) what, if any, are the major differences in the feature set / firmware between the SDS1000X and 2000X?  Also, has anyone done a decent, in-depth review of the SDS1000X or 2000X yet?

I was quite impressed with many features of the SDS2000 series when I reviewed it 2 years ago (although I felt the firmware was, at the time, still underdeveloped), and I'm really curious to see the current state of Siglent's firmware (their hardware was already best in it's class when the SDS2000 was introduced).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 02:22:45 pm »
I can't give an in depth Mark as I'm overseas ATM and on a tablet but some small insight
Memory depth is only 14 Mpts compared to 140 now for a 2000X.
The new V2 firmware makes both very similar to use, essentially the GUI is identical.
A 1000X is available in 2 HW series, just an X or the X+ that has AWG and 16 CH MSO.
At this time the 1000X series don't have a Power Analysis option either.
The 2000X has a much better LA probe assembly now with two 8 ch pods on ~1m narrow ribbon cables with a more compact socket assembly at the scope.
The 1000X is quite fast booting, faster than a 2000X.

Mark O had a 1000X and he made some comments on it in the V2 FW thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: marmad

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 02:24:51 pm »
I can't give an in depth Mark as I'm overseas ATM and on a tablet but some small insight
Memory depth is only 14 Mpts compared to 140 now for a 2000X.
The new V2 firmware makes both very similar to use, essentially the GUI is identical.
A 1000X is available in 2 HW series, just an X or the X+ that has AWG and 16 CH MSO.
At this time the 1000X series don't have a Power Analysis option either.
The 2000X has a much better LA probe assembly now with two 8 ch pods on ~1m narrow ribbon cables with a more compact socket assembly at the scope.
The 1000X is quite fast booting, faster than a 2000X.

Mark O had a 1000X and he made some comments on it in the V2 FW thread.

Great! Thanks for your insights. I'll check out the V2 FW thread too.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 02:40:14 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot one of the killer features of a SDS1000X, the 500uV/div range.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 02:53:21 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot one of the killer features of a SDS1000X, the 500uV/div range.  :)

That's not a feature in the SDS2000X? Interesting.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:48 pm »

That's not a feature in the SDS2000X? Interesting.
No.
You may well remember the 2000 series was originally released with a 2mV/ div range but that was increased to 1mV with the release of V2 FW in both 2000 and X series while the 1000X series had 500mV from the get go.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 03:31:57 pm »
SDS2000X  real analog highest sensitivity is 2mV/div. 1mV/div is digitally "zoomed" from 2mV/div. This is also same with SDS2000.

SDS1000X/X+ highest real analog sensitivity is 0.5m/div.  Also it have full BW.
Small disadvantage in SDS1000X/X+ is that analog side offset setting resolution is barely acceptable in this price class but not good for 0.5uV/div. (this offset resolution (step size) is not enough small for perfect offset nulling and of course same step size is also used in selfcal)
Also for future (perhaps other models) there need do more development work for reduce "1/f" type noise. Higher freq noise is ok, it is 1Mohm impedance front end. (50ohm selectable input "DC impedance" do not change this, after 50ohm input rest circuit is still same 1Mohm circuit).

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:44:44 pm by rf-loop »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »
SDS2000X  real analog highest sensitivity is 2mV/div. 1mV/div is digitally "zoomed" from 2mV/div. This is also same with SDS2000.

Small disadvantage in SDS1000X/X+ is that analog side offset setting resolution is barely acceptable in this price class but not good for 0.5uV/div. (this offset resolution (step size) is not enough small for perfect offset nulling and of course same step size is also used in selfcal)

That's a pity, although it's still nice to see a Chinese manufacturer producing a real 500uV range in a low-cost DSO.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 04:04:35 pm »

That's a pity, although it's still nice to see a Chinese manufacturer producing a real 500uV range in a low-cost DSO.

Only solution for offset thing is change DAC resolution and offset circuit overall performance and so on, also perhaps front end 1/f like noise  is nice to be better... and so on.  But, in other side is cost and overall question, how much is wise to do. In final still all is only compromise and all what scope show is sum of least partially undefined errors mixed with truth what we do not know..

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 04:04:43 pm »
How is that offset in the Owon X series, where they claim an extremely low noise floor?

Can you provide more explanation of this for the Siglent? And if you know more about the Owon X series, compare relatively.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 04:46:47 pm »
How is that offset in the Owon X series, where they claim an extremely low noise floor?

Can you provide more explanation of this for the Siglent? And if you know more about the Owon X series, compare relatively.

All claim extremely low noise or low noise. What is definition for "low noise" when we talk today scopes in entry or middle level class.. 

SDS1102X/X+ have clearly lessw noise than Owon XDS3102A. But Owon XDS3k is better what they have previously done. But, in these models also 2mV/div have forced 20M BW limit. So, real compare can do only using 5mV/div and it start bee bit limiting for compare noises when analog front end noise is not bad.

SDS1000X is around same ball park what is GW 2000E perhaps and it is quite good, I think perhaps Sig bit better but also bit worse, it depends.... I have not tested my self but after analyzing many small things available here and there, perhaps Siglent have bit less common random noise but then bit worse if look just something like 1/f noise.

Offline ideasun

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 06:08:36 pm »
rf-loop, since you seem to have experience with both the XDS3102A and the SDS1102X, which one would you say is easier to use - menu layout, access to features, etc? I haven't seen much about the OWON features and menus, but am concerned they are lacking.

Also, since you have experience with a vast array of scopes, which of these 2 would you use first for general circuit testing and debugging in the sub 50 MHz. (I know that a pretty open ended questions with a lot of variables, but I'm looking to purchase a scope and really stuck between these 2 models  :) )

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, wasn't my plan, but when I saw the 2 scopes I'm considering placed head to head, I just couldn't help myself

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf