Author Topic: Whats inside a Siglent logic probe  (Read 6004 times)

Offline PhiMXTopic starter

Whats inside a Siglent logic probe
« on: April 26, 2017, 06:30:58 am »
Hi, Im thinking between buying a Siglent 1000x series MSO or a rigol 1054z.

If I go for the MSO which I obviously have to pay lots more for, I would also have so spend even more for the logic probe and even more for the serial decode.
The decode license can be taken care of with some tricks I suppose, but what about spending 200+ for a pack of multiplexed spaghetti with some protection diodes?

Whats actually one of those logic attachments doing and why is it not part of the MSO when I buy it in the first place?

And could I have it cheaper with my own PCB, connector and some wires? Anyone did such a thing?

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats inside a Siglent logic probe
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:08:40 am »
Buy a Scope without logic analyzer, 1054Z is the best bank for the bulk available

Then use http://sigrok.org/ with one of those e cheap logic analyzers, will be much more cost effective

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:22:51 am »
I mean, usually nowdays a logic analyzer probe is nothing more than wires going straight into a FPGA with some low capacitance diodes for protection.
So why not doing such a thing myself on a little PCB instead or paying lots and lots?

I need to decide quick.. my other option would be to buy an 4 channel rigol and go witth the 4 channels which will be enough for most serial work I do and go with an external PC based logic analyzer for FPGA work. The auction for the rigol ends in a couple of hours....
But then I would still not have the Waveform gen.... My current one is a bit crappy.
This is a tough decision!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:06:58 am »
Hi, Im thinking between buying a Siglent 1000x series MSO or a rigol 1054z.

If I go for the MSO which I obviously have to pay lots more for, I would also have so spend even more for the logic probe and even more for the serial decode.
The decode license can be taken care of with some tricks I suppose, but what about spending 200+ for a pack of multiplexed spaghetti with some protection diodes?
Currently the Decode option free and a reduction in price are included in a promotion bundle until July.
Only the MSO option and the 16ch HW are extra.

But in the X+ (MSO) models you also get the internal 25 MHz AWG free.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:19:10 am »
Ok, so I have the following options:

Buy a rigol ds1054z for €400 and buy a PC based logic analyzer (I quite like the open bench logic sniffer which supports the SUMP protocol) and some crappy aliexpress DDS wavegen which claims 25MHz (where sine and square are quite the same thing)

So thats about 500€ spent for a very good 4-channel scope , a good Logic analyzer and a crappy DDS    OR

I buy a SDS1102X+ for about 700€ and have some questions left:

Can It be hacked to 200MHz(I think so) ? Can I also unlock the MSO and the decode options?
And most Important: Can I use the logic analyzer without spending another 250€ for the logic probe?

700€ is my absolute max I spend.. Thats double of what the SDS1202X-E costs (for half the official bandwith) for just an arbitary wavegen on top.
So.. if I could unleash the full potential I would go for the siglent.. if not I go for the rigol.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:40:53 am »
4 channels make's a difference and this is the point with Rigol is price/performance entry level scope

The new Siglent SDS1202X is 200 Mhz but only 2 channels

3 instruments instead of one, that does have advantge, that just in case you burn one, you still have the other 2

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:28 am »
700€ is my absolute max I spend.. Thats double of what the SDS1202X-E costs (for half the official bandwith) for just an arbitary wavegen on top.
So.. if I could unleash the full potential I would go for the siglent.. if not I go for the rigol.
The SDS1000X+ series are also 16ch MSO capable whereas the SDS1202X-E have zero MSO capability.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Blisk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:08:23 pm »
I am looking for new oscilloscope too and have the same question, Should I buy rigol and get logic analyser with it and probe or siglent withouth logic probe that costs another 300€

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 12:22:23 pm »
OK, I just won the rigol.😎 Thanks for tje advice

but the question still stands for everyone else with this problem :

How can a MSO be used without the official probe?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf