Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: Siglent 1202X-E:do power it off nicely, it'll may stick during boot if you don't  (Read 1311 times)

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Contributor
Bought a 1202x-E last week, just used it a few time against a signal generator to test it out. Accidentally switched it off the hard way because its on a switched distribution.
Next time I used it, it took round 5 minutes to boot, getting stuck in the Siglent logo screen even though the run button turned green at some point.
Eventually it came up, but it was completely unresponsive and needed another clean reboot to get going again.
It's not reproduceable though, it may depend on what the unit is doing during power fail and trigger a file system check or whatever.
So boys and girls: Better use that power button. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Is there a "Windows" Shutdown button in the Menu? :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Bought a 1202x-E last week, just used it a few time against a signal generator to test it out. Accidentally switched it off the hard way because its on a switched distribution.
Next time I used it, it took round 5 minutes to boot, getting stuck in the Siglent logo screen even though the run button turned green at some point.
Eventually it came up, but it was completely unresponsive and needed another clean reboot to get going again.
It's not reproduceable though, it may depend on what the unit is doing during power fail and trigger a file system check or whatever.
So boys and girls: Better use that power button. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Thanks.

It's something I haven't experienced .......yet.
Let's hope it gets addressed in the FW that's supposed to released shortly.

Wonder if anyone else has seen this ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist & NZ Siglent Distributor

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
Well, a true least it didn't hang permanently.

Unless you do a 'soft' shutdown, any Linux based system can end up with corrupted files.  A simple approach would be to have a flag that is written at the end if the shutdown, and if that isn't found at startup then the system should do a restart with backup files, ignoring files that are written to during normal operation.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
The Linux boot sequence could include a disk file system check, such as fsck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck

This can salvage the disk file system at boot time.

Most Television Set-Top Boxes that are based on Linux include such a tool in their boot sequence,
as these STBs are frequently plugged in and out by end users, who are not even aware that there is Linux on their device.

Online kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
This wouldn't be a problem if they were using a properly journaled filesystem.   Linux has had this for many years now.   But the tradeoff there is more writes to the backing store of the filesystem, and that may prove unacceptable if the backing store is flash or something with a limited number of write cycles.

It's possible that the long boot cycle is the result of a filesystem check that is being performed (most Linux systems will perform one automatically if the system was not shut down cleanly), but it may also be that the scope saves a lot of state when the power button is used to turn the scope off, which would allow for a faster boot process.  It may be that a hard power cycle results in the scope having to recreate all of its state from scratch.

Occam's Razor, though, says that the delay is due to a filesystem check.   It would be most interesting to get access to the text console of the scope to see what it says it's doing during a long boot cycle like this.

Online stj

• Super Contributor
they need to use F2FS - they probably use EXT2

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbist
The problem looks very silly to me. The scope does not even need to mount it root partition in RW. Normally, it's always readonly except when updating firmware. In addition to that, there should a small partition for user settings. Again, with proper flags and a filesystem so it should not take long time to check it after unclean shutdown.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
The problem looks very silly to me. The scope does not even need to mount it root partition in RW. Normally, it's always readonly except when updating firmware. In addition to that, there should a small partition for user settings. Again, with proper flags and a filesystem so it should not take long time to check it after unclean shutdown.
I have been told Siglent will look at this to have a better/faster recovery from unexpected power loss.

Others that experience this prolonged boot are asked to submit information about the recovery if they can.
Times, what's on the display, settings etc.

Thanks to posters for suggestions this far.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist & NZ Siglent Distributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf