Author Topic: Siglent .ads firmware file format  (Read 172016 times)

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
Re: Siglent .ads firmware file format
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2018, 03:35:17 am »
Thank you, but I think my main question has to do with how you log in as root. I assume there is a root password, and I'm under the assumption that it is not something known it easily guessed, so how do I install the software update so that I can either know or set the root user password?

SMB784, are you asking how you interface with the unit?  You'll need to telnet into the device through the ethernet connection.  As rf-loop said, it depends what your current firmware version is.  This determines the path you need to take.  The firmware is upgraded by copying files to a USB flash and following the on-device menus.

Once you have an updated firmware, you need to load the special OS build found in the message that rf-loop mentioned in B above.

Indeed, thank you.  After some time spent thinking, I did exactly that process.  I am now working on logging in via root!

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:01 am »
So I am running into a snag with the root login via telnet.

Thus far I have successfully downloaded and installed the firmware, and the OS from the silent website. I then installed the special software from the aforementioned link, and the device boots correctly. I am successfully able to get to the login prompt using telnet.

There is where the trouble starts. I enter root as the login name and I enter the password and it tells me that the login info is incorrect. I have tried many different combinations of login name and password.

So: either I am incorrectly using telnet, or I am entering in the wrong password, or Siglent has patched this technique, or the scope is ignoring and not installing the custom software update when the USB is plugged in before boot up. I did time the boot sequence and it takes 20 seconds to boot regardless of whether or not the USB with the firmware is present.

Not sure what is going on here, gonna try some other things while I try to figure it out. Any suggestions are welcome, and I will keep you updated.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2018, 11:30:04 am »
It sounds like all you need is the password for the modified firmware!  Most of these modified firmware files for the Siglent devices floating around on this forum all us the same password.  The author who posts on this forum likes to make sure that the forum users who download the files from this forum are regular forum users who've been around on this forum for a while.  See these other forum posts:   ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg1447972/#msg1447972
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg1449465/#msg1449465

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »
It sounds like all you need is the password for the modified firmware!  Most of these modified firmware files for the Siglent devices floating around on this forum all us the same password.  The author who posts on this forum likes to make sure that the forum users who download the files from this forum are regular forum users who've been around on this forum for a while.  See these other forum posts:   ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg1447972/#msg1447972
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg1449465/#msg1449465

Well, I tried the very same password that logs me into the website in the first link of your message, and it tells me that it's wrong. The user name is root, and the password is the same one as the one that logs me into that website, and it says that the login credentials are wrong.

This leads me to believe that the custom software update is not being applied correctly for some reason.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2018, 02:58:46 pm »

Well, I tried the very same password that logs me into the website in the first link of your message, and it tells me that it's wrong. The user name is root, and the password is the same one as the one that logs me into that website, and it says that the login credentials are wrong.

This leads me to believe that the custom software update is not being applied correctly for some reason.

Hmmm... that's the right one.  The credentials are changed through the modified OS update file, rather than the App firmware update.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1606243/#msg1606243     

As rf-loop described in A.  Load the standard SDS1004X-E Firmware (4-Channel Model) - 6.1.25R2 (Release Date 06.29.18 ) file, then the modified SDS1004X-E Operating System-V1 (Only For 4-Channel ) (Release Date 06.26.18 ) from the post listed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:01:23 pm by BillB »

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2018, 04:26:27 pm »
Hmmm... that's the right one.  The credentials are changed through the modified OS update file, rather than the App firmware update.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1606243/#msg1606243     

As rf-loop described in A.  Load the standard SDS1004X-E Firmware (4-Channel Model) - 6.1.25R2 (Release Date 06.29.18 ) file, then the modified SDS1004X-E Operating System-V1 (Only For 4-Channel ) (Release Date 06.26.18 ) from the post listed.

Alright here's what my process was before failing to get login credentials correct:

The first thing I did was format my 32 gigabyte USB flash drive to FAT32.  Then I added the FW 7.1.6.1.25R2.ads file to the usb drive, dismounted it, and plugged it into the scope.  I turned the scope on, and then followed the instructions to install the firmware and self calibrated the scope.  I verified that I was running the 25R2 firmware at software level 0 (no software update performed yet).

Then, according to RF-Loop's instructions:
Update latest FW and OS (if not already out from box).
SDS1004X-E Firmware (4-Channel Model) - 6.1.25R2 (Release Date 06.29.18 )
SDS1004X-E Operating System-V1 (Only For 4-Channel ) (Release Date 06.26.18 )
These both can download from Siglent official side. Inside these both packages (zip) there is also instructions.
I downloaded the latest software update from the siglent website and put the 4 software files on a newly FAT32 reformatted USB drive.  I turned off the scope and plugged the USB drive in.  I then booted the scope, and it installed the software, and verified that I was now running at software level 1.  Then I turned the scope off, took out the USB, reflashed it with the 4 custom files with the modified root login, plugged this back into the scope, started it up and let it return to the main screen.

I then tried to telnet into the scope on port 23, I got to the login page and entered the username root and the modified password and received a "login incorrect" message.  I tried many different combinations of login name and password, as well as the correct password numerous times.  I rebooted the scope, tried reinstalling the modified software, tried reinstalling the 25R2 firmware, all to no added effect.  I noticed that the boot time to main screen remained the same regardless of what software file I put on the USB, and regardless of whether or not there was even a USB inserted (20 seconds regardless).  These times were measured after the initial official software boot.

I can try instaling the 25R1 firmware and retrying this whole process, but I cannot seem to find a good download location for it.  Also I have tried to hardware reset the scope using the instructions on the Siglent website, but that process has not worked each time I have attempted it.

Its possible that they have invalidated this method of changing the root user login when you install the official software update first.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 06:17:05 pm by SMB784 »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2018, 05:42:42 pm »
Its possible that they have invalidated this method of changing the root user login when you install the official software update first, so at this point it is my suggestion that anyone attempting this process install the modified software provided here on the forums instead of trying the official software update.

The OS update after turning on the scope is very fast, and it definitely worked the first time because you did bump from version 0 to 1.

As far as the order of update, my scope had both the 25R2 and V1 factory updates applied for a while before I updated with the modified OS.  My process went like 25R1->25R2->OSV1(factory)... a week or two later... ->OSV1(modified).

So, I'm at a loss now to explain why you aren't able to log in. :-//

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2018, 06:23:24 pm »
Alright then, I must be doing something wrong. I am going to scrutinize this process in detail and maybe I can figure out what I have done wrong

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2018, 07:04:35 pm »
I wonder if it is possible to do the update using the update configuration key. Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2018, 07:27:57 pm »
I wonder if it is possible to do the update using the update configuration key. Anyone have any experience with this?

Your screen image

Is it displaying all files in your USB in root folder for OS update.
AFAIK There need be 4 files! included in eevblog zip

devicetree.dtb
rootfs.cramfs
sds1004x_e_udiskEnv.txt
uImage
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:30:38 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2018, 07:34:33 pm »

Your screen image

Is it displaying all files in your USB in root folder for OS update.
AFAIK There need be 4 files! included in eevblog zip

devicetree.dtb
rootfs.cramfs
sds1004x_e_udiskEnv.txt
uImage

Yes I did have 4 files in there originally, and when that didn't work I tried just those two, which also didn't work

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2018, 07:48:07 pm »
Here is an image of the system info

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2018, 07:58:31 pm »
Here is an image of the system info

Hmm...
My hardware version is 00-03

But ian.ameline's is 01-03 as well and he updated his just fine.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:00:09 pm by BillB »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2018, 08:24:10 pm »
Alright then, I must be doing something wrong. I am going to scrutinize this process in detail and maybe I can figure out what I have done wrong
Most likely spelling or syntax error.......those were the mistakes I made.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2018, 09:42:47 pm »
Its possible that they have invalidated this method of changing the root user login when you install the official software update first.

No, the work being done by forum members has been on the latest firmware and os versions from what I can tell. Post one of your telnet sessions (including initiating the telnet connection) so we can see that you are connecting correctly. Also it might be useful to have a screenshot of the IP configuration screen on the scope. Are you able to connect to the webserver on the scope through your browser?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2018, 10:25:46 pm »

No, the work being done by forum members has been on the latest firmware and os versions from what I can tell. Post one of your telnet sessions (including initiating the telnet connection) so we can see that you are connecting correctly. Also it might be useful to have a screenshot of the IP configuration screen on the scope. Are you able to connect to the webserver on the scope through your browser?

He sees the login prompt.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2018, 10:32:06 pm »

He sees the login prompt.
Yes.
And to progress further you must have the modified OS installed and any command spelling and syntax correct.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2018, 10:39:44 pm »
I get that he thinks he is. But without knowing his comfort level with the command line I would prefer to see proof to be able to rule it out. If he swears that the firmware has been installed correctly, and he is for sure using the correct username and password, then the next thing to check is that he really is connecting to the scope. I agree that it does sound like he probably is, but I've seen telnet connections fool other users before (as in they were at the telnet prompt, but not actually connected to anything).

On a separate note, thanks for your contributions in getting this process worked out.

Edit: I don't mean the first line as an insult. smb784 specifically mentioned earlier that wasn't completely sure was using telnet correctly, and I really have seen telnet connections trick people before.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:06:14 pm by CustomEngineerer »

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2018, 11:13:01 pm »
I get that he thinks he is. But without knowing his comfort level with the command line I would prefer to see proof to be able to rule it out. If he swears that the firmware has been installed correctly, and he is for sure using the correct username and password, then the next thing to check is that he really is connecting to the scope. I agree that it does sound like he probably is, but I've seen telnet connections fool other users before (as in they were at the telnet prompt, but not actually connected to anything).

On a separate note, thanks for your contributions in getting this process worked out.

Edit: I don't mean the first line as an insult. smb784 specifically mentioned earlier that wasn't completely sure was using telnet correctly, and I really have seen telnet connections trick people before.

Don't worry I'm not insulted :)  Having spent almost 15 years in a physics lab in the quest for my Ph.D., I am used to making simple but easily overlooked mistakes.  Here is how I performed this update.

First, I formatted a USB to FAT32, and downloaded the 25R2 Firmware .ads onto the USB stick from Siglent America's official website, and installed it to the device.  You can verify that by looking at the top left corner of the first image attached in this email.

Then I reformatted the USB as FAT32 and downloaded the latest operating system and extracted the four files onto the USB.  I then plugged the USB into the scope and restarted it, allowing it to install the new operating system.  See the first attached image for verification of this process (top, middle, and bottom panels).

I turned on DHCP and connected the ethernet cable between it and my router, allowing it to acquire an IP address from my router.  See the second attached image for verification.

Then I removed the USB while the scope was on, turned the scope off, reformatted the USB to FAT32, and downloaded the custom software install from Janekivi's weblink from this thread.  I extracted this custom firmware zip onto the USB, and plugged it into the oscilloscope and turned it on.  The scope booted up, and after boot I telneted in on port 23 and tried to log in with login name root and the correctly spelled password.  See third attached image for verification of this process (top, bottom panels).

Take special note in the images of the date stamps for each of the files uploaded to the USB.  That is how I verified that I had the correct files on the USB

Thank you all again for all of your hard work and help, let me know if you see any errors in my process.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:02:53 am by SMB784 »

The following users thanked this post: CustomEngineerer

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2018, 01:03:48 am »
I have updated my installation method in the post immediately preceding this one.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2018, 01:14:44 am »
Just to be absolutely certain there wasn't an issue with newer scopes I went ahead and went through the procedure on my SDS1104X-E that I ordered on last Monday and received on Thursday from Saelig. When I received the scope it had
Software Version: 7.6.1.20R3
FPGA Version: 2018-01-20
Hardware Version: 01-03

That day I went ahead and installed the SDS1004X-E_6.1.25R2.ADS firmware (listing this way since I'm still a little confused about if the 7 at the beginning of the version should be part of the firmware number) and afterwords checking the system information screen then showed
Software Version: 7.0.6.1.25R2
FPGA Version: 2018-03-06

Yesterday I installed the official OS update from the Siglent, SDS1004X-E_OSV1_EN-1.zip file, and checking the system information screen after showed:
Software Version: 7.1.6.1.25R2
FPGA Version: 2018-03-06

I had planned on holding off on installing the modified system files until I knew for sure I was going to keep the scope, but since its easily reversible I figured Id go ahead and make sure it does indeed work as expected. I installed the four files from the SDS1004X-E_OSV1_EN_eevblog.zip file earlier in this thread and sure enough I was then able to telnet into the scope with the expected username and password.

In the attached screenshot (sorry for not separating the two attempts into separate screenshots), the first telnet login attempt was while the scope had the official Siglent OS files installed, then before I attempted the second login, I restarted the scope with an inserted USB thumb drive containing the modified OS files. You can see the second attempt is able to login.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2018, 01:20:47 am »
Everything you are doing looks correct to me, sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2018, 01:23:28 am »
Everything you are doing looks correct to me, sorry, I'm out of ideas.

I am thinking it has something to do with taking the software from the USB and putting it onto the scope.  I will try doing that from a different computer than the one I am currently using.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2018, 01:42:35 am »
Well, I have fixed the login issue.

Something about adding the custom files to the USB with my Desktop running Ubuntu 18.04 was causing them to not  be recognized by the scope (I guess)

I tried adding the files to the USB using my raspberry pi, and lo and behold i am now able to  telnet into the scope with both the raspberry pi and my desktop.

No idea what the deal was with that, but at least now I can log in.

Thank you all for your help, seriously.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2018, 01:48:06 am »
Great news. Congrats!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf