Author Topic: Siglent SDG1000X function generator "tuning"?  (Read 1562 times)

Online ebastlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Siglent SDG1000X function generator "tuning"?
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:29:22 am »
I am about to pull the trigger on a modern function generator, finally...
In an older thread, I found the following hint from rf-loop regarding the Siglent SDG1000X series:

My 1000X have
triangle max 5MHz (norm 500kHz )
Pulse max 15MHz (norm 12.5 )
pulse min risetime 11.8ns (norm 16.8 ) (Rise/fall times are user adjustable with .1ns resolution and rise/fall times are independent of freq, even in extremely low freq. Also width is adjustable and independent of frequency even if period is over 1 day (10µHz)
Arb 1 cycle max 10MHz (norm 6MHz)
AM modulation (internal) max 50kHz (norm 20kHz )
FM modulation (internal) max 50kHz (norm 20kHz )
PM modulation (internal) max 50kHz (norm 20kHz )
Sweep time max 3600s (normal 500s )  This was starting point for mod because at this time this was my urgent need.

I have not tested  what are real max min limits for all internal "factory" parameters and other things what possible can "improve" but these I made quickly for my momentary needs.

But I could not find any further mention, in that thread or elsewhere, on how these "improvements" are made. Is there a hidden menu to access the limit settings? A telnet port for system-level access? Or does this require new, inofficial firmware?

If the modifications are too "invasive" and cannot be reliably undone, I would not include these improved specs in my purchasing decision -- don't want to mess with the warranty right from the start... Thanks for any pointers you might have!

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Siglent SDG1000X function generator "tuning"?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 08:50:40 am »
as he called it a mod, my guess would be its based upon tweaking the limits in the software application, which would likely have issues with your warranty,

Otherwise it may be just like my SAG1021 (AWG mod for scope), where there SCPI commands are not restricted like the UI options are, e.g. +-4.0V signal offset instead of +-1.5V via the UI,

Just checking on my option AWG, i can easily set periods up to 1,000,000 seconds long for my waveforms via SCPI

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 08:57:36 am »
But I could not find any further mention, in that thread or elsewhere, on how these "improvements" are made. Is there a hidden menu to access the limit settings? A telnet port for system-level access? Or does this require new, inofficial firmware?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1870091/#msg1870091

rf-loop changes that config file where those seetings are made.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 09:11:38 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1870091/#msg1870091

rf-loop changes that config file where those seetings are made.

Ahh, thank you! So one first needs to install a custom firmware, to enable the Telnet port. Then edit a config file via Telnet, right?

Are there further details of the config file contents and changes in the same thread? I started scanning it, but have not spotted anything yet.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 11:03:44 am »
You'll find what you need here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg1446556/#msg1446556

Thanks, tautech - that's the thread I started from. (rf-loop's post linked in my OP above is from that thread. EDIT: Ooops, no, it's not. But I had seen the thread during my search before posting.)

BillB has described in detail how to modify the config file to change the model to '1062X. But I could not see any explanation on how to modify the frequency limits etc., as described by rf-loop?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:16:36 am by ebastler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf