Author Topic: Siglent SDG1025 Arbitrary/function generator under some tests  (Read 86043 times)

Offline aghpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Siglent SDG1025 Arbitrary/function generator under some tests
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 11:14:08 pm »
Did you get the supplied USB drivers to load in your PC and then connect to the function generator?
I can not get the supplied drivers to load.

Thankyou,

BMac

You get your generator with Siglent software CD. On the CD there is printed version number. What is version? Or  what version of software you have installed if not same as in CD?

Something like in attached picture here after you look version (help/about)

What is windows version  you use? Version and Service Pack?

Now if your EasyWave is other version, you can try install this.

EasyWave V100R001B01D01P06
(this version do not need NIVISA drivers)

Please remove first other easy wave version installation and possible other things what you have try for "usb"related to SDG,  clean all  fully.

Unzip and install (setup.exe) all with defaults (just "blonde install").

notes:
-there are versions what may need NIVISA drivers and it is possible these need separately download and install. (from NIVISA source)

-This older V100R001B01D01P06  do NOT need NIVISA drivers.

Also check your SDG1020 menu possible USBTMC/USBRAW setting.

- I do not know if someone may  have this problem but if someone download new EasyWave from Siglent it is good to believe what there read: look this second image.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:19:57 pm by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 11:24:31 pm »
I bought one of these, and couldn't load the USB Drivers until I flashed it up to FW version 23, (identity mismatch on the drivers).
After that it worked as predicted, although still has one feature not working, (setting output in db's), they say they're working on it.
Have been temped to flash it to the latest Lecroy, (same unit),  firmware to see if that fixes it , but don't want to brick my generator.

BMac

Offline Rick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 10:34:04 pm »
Hi aghp,

There is no way to contact you.
How can we get in touch with you?
Thanks.

Offline Herman

• Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 06:49:16 am »
siglent has updated the firmware to 27. So the newest version is 1.01.01.27.
I have get the newest firmware from them, and the dBm output problem has fixed. :-+

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2013, 12:06:57 pm »
I have get the newest firmware from them, and the dBm output problem has fixed. :-+

Is there somewhere to download this FW update? I can't wait for Lulu to respond to my email...

Here is some info about my SDG1020:

Original configuration:
 Software version: 1.01.01.20
 Hardware version: 00-00-00-17-23
 Serial number: SDG00002120XXX

Current configuration (after 1.01.01.23 update):
 Software version: 1.01.01.23
 Hardware version: 00-00-00-19-23

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 02:30:10 pm »

Can you please put the firmware somewhere for download (maybe include the hw version so that everyone can decide for themselves if they want to flash it or not)? Siglent support is hit and miss (more miss than hit), and the fact that they still have no public firmware download for the SDG1000 on their website is atrocious.

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:54 pm »
Yes, I agree 100 %. If Siglent is going to be a player in the test equipment market they need to put some resources towards the're web site and support, hey do a couple of mouse clicks and go over to LeCroy and look at there's.
It always blows my mind when I see a crap website and crap support, with so many good examples of how it should be done out there, how can the developer at Siglent have such crap online.
The web site has a lot of lip service on it, says all the right words about service, but they obviously don't mean it. OK so enough for my rant, maybe we can shame them into actually supporting the products they want us to buy. I can't recommend then to any one because of there poor support, products seem to be ok. I don't have my own website other wise I would put the firmware and documentation on it. Are there any repositories out there that we could use for a Siglent user support group?
Anyways Siglent wont help us out we will have to support ourselves.

Rant done.

BMac :scared: :bullshit: :scared: |O

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 09:49:24 pm »
The web site has a lot of lip service on it, says all the right words about service, but they obviously don't mean it. OK so enough for my rant, maybe we can shame them into actually supporting the products they want us to buy. I can't recommend then to any one because of there poor support, products seem to be ok.

Indeed, I can't complain that much about the hardware quality of my SDG1020 (aside from the jitter issue, that is). But all these Chinese manufacturers must realize that in the T&M market support is everything, even if you're just targeting hobby users. Not providing firmware updates as downloads is simply unacceptable in this day and age.

I don't have my own website other wise I would put the firmware and documentation on it. Are there any repositories out there that we could use for a Siglent user support group?
Anyways Siglent wont help us out we will have to support ourselves.

How about a Yahoo group (provided there isn't one already)? Not perfect but apparently it's good enough for LeCroy and HP/Agilent users, and it gives you 100MB in download storage which can be used for firmware files and other documents.

And who knows, maybe Siglent even realizes that they could use this as a proper channel for getting user feedback (which should lead to better products for us and more money for them). Win-win.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:52:08 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Herman

• Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2013, 06:07:49 am »
Please don't try to get the firmware from me.
Send an email to sales@siglent.com,and then they will give you the firmware.
2 months ago, I send an email, and they say have no new firmware.
1 months ago, I send the second email, and they say they are testing the new firmware(1.01.01.27).
several days ago, I send the third email, and they send the firmware(1.01.01.27) to me.
What you need do is send more and more emails to siglent, give them pressure to fix the bug, rather than sit back and enjoy.

Offline pauln

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 08:59:26 am »
Please don't try to get the firmware from me.
1 months ago, I send the second email, and they say they are testing the new firmware(1.01.01.27).
several days ago, I send the third email, and they send the firmware(1.01.01.27) to me.
What you need do is send more and more emails to siglent, give them pressure to fix the bug, rather than sit back and enjoy.
Herman
Thank you for your PM.  I have also emailed Siglent since last August - this email address finally produced a new firmware file.
Jelin.wei@siglent.com
Also note that my early manual copy had incomplete instructions to update, a later version has corrected this.
Thank You

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2013, 11:07:18 am »

Maybe, or they won't. The success rate of getting a response is highly variable.

No, that is not what we need to do. :palm: It's them who need to actively support for their products, not for us customers having to beg them for information. This is ridiculous.

They must realize that producing decent hardware is only one half, and that the other half is providing good firmware support which not only means fixing bugs but having updates and(!) release notes available for download. Period.

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2013, 01:40:26 pm »
Yesterday, Lulu sent me the update file by email.

File name: SDG1000-V100R001B01D01P27.ADS
File size: 0,99 MB (1 041 222 byte)
(that is slightly less than the size on disk)

Link to the file: EDIT: Link removed as it didn't work anymore, due to Dropbox changes.

Disclaimer: I do not know for sure that the FW may be applied to other units with other specs than my unit.

Procedure:
0 Turn on the unit and insert a USB-stick with a copy of SDG1000-V100R001B01D01P27.ADS on root level.
1 Press <Utility> button
2 Select "1/2 ?" (the arrow down character has turned into a question mark)
3 Select "Update"
4 Highlight the USB stick "USB Device (O:)" (Yellow background)
5 Press "Browser/Folder" so it changes to "Browser/File"
6 Highlight the update file "SDG100~1.ADS" (Yellow background)
7 Select "Recall"

Wait 33 seconds for the success message

After that I pressed the <Utility> button to exit the menus, pulled out the memory stick and shut the unit off.
I booted the unit and confirmed that the Software Version was correct.

Original configuration:
 Software version: 1.01.01.20
 Hardware version: 01-00-00-17-23

Previous configuration (after 1.01.01.23 update):
 Software version: 1.01.01.23
 Hardware version: 01-00-00-19-23

Current configuration (after 1.01.01.27 update):
 Software version: 1.01.01.27
 Hardware version: 01-00-00-21-23

EDIT 16 December 2016: added info to remember further configurations:
Configuration (after 1.01.01.37R2 update in ~2015):
 Software version: 1.01.01.37R2
 Hardware version: 01-00-00-23-23

Configuration (after 1.01.01.37R3 update 16 December 2016):
Boot strap number 96
 Software version: 1.01.01.37R3
 Hardware version: 01-00-23-23 <-- No change for the first time after an update
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:27:17 pm by nixxon »

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2013, 04:19:26 pm »
Yeah, If you read the Lecroy Manual it is correct, (refers to the correct buttons etc).

BMac

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2013, 04:27:26 pm »
Thanks, for  the post on the instructions, do you have anywhere that you can post the file for the rest of us?

Thanks,

BMac

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2013, 05:30:54 pm »
I have added a dropbox download link in my post above (3 posts up).  :-+

I have never figured out how to set dBm output attenuation on the SDG1020. I can't find it mentioned in the manual either.

Can anyone tell me how to set "dBm output" attenuation level on a SDG1020?

I could not see, hear, smell or sense in any other way that my unit had changed in any way after the update. I wonder if there is a release note somewhere that could shed some light on what is new.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:38:29 pm by nixxon »

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2013, 09:32:06 pm »
I have added a dropbox download link in my post above (3 posts up).  :-+
Thank you.

I have just successfully applied your update file to my SDG1020.
This particular unit was previously running 1.01.01.15. Its hardware version is reported as 0f-00-00-21-22.

alm

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2013, 09:42:23 pm »
So you guys are insisting on updating the firmware of your function gen, regardless if it fixes any bugs or adds any features? It may even introduce new problems.

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2013, 09:55:00 pm »
So you guys are insisting on updating the firmware of your function gen, regardless if it fixes any bugs or adds any features? It may even introduce new problems.

I didn't insist. I just did it. BTW, Mr. Herman wrote that the dBm output problem has been fixed with this most recent update (version...27).

I just don't know how to set the dB attenuation. Does anyone know?

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2013, 11:07:31 pm »
Well, it did add the useful feature that I can better read what it says on the screen. Version *.15 was horrible in that regard.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:50:38 am by Tepe »

Offline Herman

• Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 01:06:31 am »

I didn't insist. I just did it. BTW, Mr. Herman wrote that the dBm output problem has been fixed with this most recent update (version...27).

I just don't know how to set the dB attenuation. Does anyone know?

In SDG1000, there is 3 kinds of voltage amplitude unit: Vpp,Vrms,dBm. just choice the dBm unit.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 11:01:59 am »
So you guys are insisting on updating the firmware of your function gen, regardless if it fixes any bugs or adds any features?

Well, a firmware update always contains bug fixes and/or adds any new features, otherwise it would be pointless.

And since the .23 firmware is not bug-free and at least one problem (dBm bug) has apparently been fixed, updating seems to be worthwile.

It may even introduce new problems.

Yes, it may introduce new problems, and considering that we're talking about Siglent here and not a Agilent or R&S, it's probably not unlikely that new bugs will show up. But if no-one tries we'll never find out, will we?

And if all fails it should be possible to go back to .23, or if that fails we have to wait for Siglent to bring another update which fixes the new problems, as we do now.

I agree that if you are dependent on a working AWG updating now may not be a good idea, but if an AWG is critical to you then you shouldn't use a Siglent in the first place.

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 05:01:25 pm »

Uhhhh....      that's what a firmware update is for, fixing bugs and adding features. Hmm better not cross the road, might get hit with a car, better not get out of bed may slip and fall , better not ..... well you see where I'm going here.

BMac

alm

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »
You cross the road because you want to get to the other side of the road. You get out of bed because you don't get paid staying in bed, and because lying in bed all day is boring. There's a risk/benefit trade-off here. The risk of firmware updates from manufacturers is non-negligible (to them QA is a word on a label you stick on all of your products). The benefit appears to be questionable. Firmware updates may also be designed to work with new hardware revisions or solve problems you never had in the first place. Or they may remove features because a competitor filed a patent claim. Without a changelog it's hard to tell. So they fixed a bug related to dBm output levels. Unless you actually use this feature, it may be better to wait for the next update. Unless you consider the enjoyment of updating firmware important enough to risk the possible problems.

Even firmware updates from reputable manufacturers occasionally cause problems: a Gossen Metrahit Energy update wiped out the calibration constants, requiring a trip to Gossen or a cal lab.

Offline BMac

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »
Yeah a good place to get that kind of info, (determination weather it's worth the risk), is to read the release notes, and then let someone else do it first, ha ha.
But this is a fairly new product and it's quite typical for a new product these days to have several fw updates right out of the box, classic fight between eng and marketing to get a new product out.
But your advice is well sounded.
Thank you,

BMac

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2013, 06:47:26 am »
The risk of firmware updates from manufacturers is non-negligible (to them QA is a word on a label you stick on all of your products). The benefit appears to be questionable.

Strange, I have done lots of firmware updates on various devices, and while there was the occasional lemon amongst them the majority has proven to be beneficial.

Firmware updates may also be designed to work with new hardware revisions

Yes, but then they are flashed directly into production units and not offered for download or sent out to customers.

or solve problems you never had in the first place. Or they may remove features because a competitor filed a patent claim. Without a changelog it's hard to tell.

I agree a changelog would be nice. But there's nothing wrong with testing a new firmware and going back to the previous version if really necessary. At the end of the day, we're talking about a cheap Chinese-made device which has it's fair share of issues as most devices in this class. If you require changelogs and tested firmware then you should buy the much more expensive variant from LeCroy.

So they fixed a bug related to dBm output levels. Unless you actually use this feature, it may be better to wait for the next update. Unless you consider the enjoyment of updating firmware important enough to risk the possible problems.

One of the bugs fixed is the dBm bug. There may be others but without changelog we won't find out. There may also be new issues but if no-one tries the firmware we won't find out as well. If your livelihood depends on a working Siglent AWG then I agree flashing new firmware may be too risky (but then you should really think about buying some proper gear with appropriate support contracts). For the rest of us who use this thing as a hobby device or have more than one AWG there's no reason why we can't try a new firmware.

And why should one wait for the next update?

Even firmware updates from reputable manufacturers occasionally cause problems: a Gossen Metrahit Energy update wiped out the calibration constants, requiring a trip to Gossen or a cal lab.

Yes, even reputable manufacturers can sometimes put up a lemon firmware (even when in my experience failed firmware updates are much more often caused by a non-obvious problem with the device that's flashed.). The majority of updates however are not causing problems and work as designed.

Saying not to flash new firmware updates because they might cause problems is the same as saying you should never buy electronic devices as they might be DOA.

And again, you should consider what device we're talking about, and in what environment such devices are generally used.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf