Author Topic: SIGLENT SDS1102CML - First Impressions  (Read 100924 times)

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
Re: SIGLENT SDS1102CML - First Impressions
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2014, 05:48:26 am »
Confirm you Firmware version is the latest. If you scope is doing everything else correctly, it might be a firmware bug.

My SW Version is 5.01.02.22
HW 11-62-3 5

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2014, 05:51:53 am »
I suspect your math voltage scale is not set to the same scale as the other two channels. Select the math channel and go to page two of the setup. There are two options: one for setting the vertical position and the second to set the vertical resolution. Make sure it is not set to nV :)
--deckert

Ufff that's might be it, I didn't played with those options. Well I don't even know what those options are for... I didn't read the manual.

I know I know RTFM!!   |O

I will report back.
 ;)

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2014, 07:22:00 pm »
That was it, that little knob is a bit sensitive but it does the job.
Thank you!

Regards

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2014, 08:20:37 pm »
Is serial number disappears or not (after flashing Siglent SDS7102CML with WaveAce 1012 firmware)?
Where I can find config file for LeCroy firmware?
Thanx!

Offline Retro

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2014, 07:22:56 pm »
Hi has anyone sorted the Language not saving as I have the same problem with the SDS1102CML
Cheers

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:07 pm »
Hi has anyone sorted the Language not saving as I have the same problem with the SDS1102CML
After 5 or 10 startups the language option sets and remains with the language option you have chosen.
Sorry I can't remember for sure, I think 10.

It is this way so a seller can check or demonstrate the scope then ship to a buyer anywhere in the world.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Retro

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply
But when I press System Status it says system has been restarted 34 times and still the language has to be set on boot.
software version 5.01.02.22
hardware version 11-62-3.5
Regards
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:15:44 am by Retro »

Offline geonicz

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2014, 08:02:17 pm »
You can load a config file. This solves the problem with language menu.
Unpack it to flash drive with FAT32 system and plug it into scope.
Press "Save|Recall ->type(Factory) -> Update Cfg". Select the *.cfg file and you're done.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:37:37 am by geonicz »

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2014, 08:25:31 pm »
Just wondering when reading the comment about the reboot counter.

Is there any way you can clear this counter or reset it to factory 0?
This would come in handy for people experience the language issue, as they can then start with clean counter, and refer to the value later on, as fair indicative value for using the scope.

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2014, 03:36:43 am »
Just wondering when reading the comment about the reboot counter.

Is there any way you can clear this counter or reset it to factory 0?
This would come in handy for people experience the language issue, as they can then start with clean counter, and refer to the value later on, as fair indicative value for using the scope.
Dear Sir,
Do you mean the frequency counter? the frequency function can be turn off.
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline geonicz

« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2014, 05:30:03 am »
Did anyone find how to connect this device to PC with the help of RS-232 cable? I mean which pinout is used? I didn't manage to find it manual but this ability is present.

Offline geonicz

« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2014, 05:34:55 am »
Dear Sir,
Do you mean the frequency counter? the frequency function can be turn off.
No, I think he meant a startup counter that is displayed through "Utility->System-Status" menu. The question was if it can be cleared back to zero.
And the frequency counter fuction is a absolutelly different thing that is bouncing in a bottom right corner of a screen.

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2014, 09:49:58 am »
I meant the "reboot counter".

If for some weird reason, people have to reboot their scope 10-20 times before they get the language setting right in the configuration, it makes sense that they can clear their "reboot counter", so that it reflects actual "fair" use of their scope.

But maybe the best solution is just to fix the language issue, and any other issues that require 10-20 times reboot =)

I am confused how Rigol support comes to frequency counter. That's like comparing apples with pears.

Offline SharpEars

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:17 pm »
I meant the "reboot counter".

If for some weird reason, people have to reboot their scope 10-20 times before they get the language setting right in the configuration, it makes sense that they can clear their "reboot counter", so that it reflects actual "fair" use of their scope.

But maybe the best solution is just to fix the language issue, and any other issues that require 10-20 times reboot =)

I am confused how Rigol support comes to frequency counter. That's like comparing apples with pears.

I am confused how you can confuse Rigol support with Siglent :-/O , I do agree with you that having to reboot 10-20 times to get the Language setting to stick is just plain stupid!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:41:57 pm by SharpEars »

Siglent America

« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »
The Siglent customer support engineer who mentioned the frequency counter is located at our factory in China. English is not his primary language so I think he misunderstood the question. I will follow up with him.
Thanks.
Steve

Offline illyesgeza

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2014, 07:14:51 am »
At last I have find a working EASYSCOPEX on WindowsXP 32bit with the SDS1102CML
The problem is that you can't download all the 2Mega data, that's why I don't use this software
I wrote a little program in C++ with which I can manage this problem
My question for SIGLENT is to tell us about that hardware limitation (in case of SDS1102CML) which explain that when you enter in SINGLE trigger mode the scope is automaticly disable the LONGMEM.
So you can't access the longmem data (2Mega) in this mode.
I have found some software workaround.
First of all it needs USBTMC working, and use a few SCPI commands:
1.)  "WAIT"
2.) "STOP"
3.) "C1:WF?"
4.) "C2:WF?"
5.) "RUN"
this above steps leeds you to access all the data
It would be nice if SIGLENT in a firmware update solve this problem.
i.e to be able to get all the data from both channels in the same session using the "ARM" or "*TRG" command without to disable the longmemory

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:59 am »
Thanks for pointing this out. I have pointed Siglent to your post.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Pipsa

« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2014, 08:26:33 pm »
I have also met a problem with FFT-measurement.  Is it possible to "drag" automated-measurements "block" across the screen, hide, or something? It is especially irritatingly during FFT measurements: that "info-block" anchors itself just far left covering the FFT spectrum in really important part!? In the manual it is shown, there the measurement "block" is on the top left part of the display, but in the real life it is just a blocking the signal, it stays on the lover left part of the display. Any ideas how to move it?

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2014, 03:47:41 am »
I have also met a problem with FFT-measurement.  Is it possible to "drag" automated-measurements "block" across the screen, hide, or something? It is especially irritatingly during FFT measurements: that "info-block" anchors itself just far left covering the FFT spectrum in really important part!? In the manual it is shown, there the measurement "block" is on the top left part of the display, but in the real life it is just a blocking the signal, it stays on the lover left part of the display. Any ideas how to move it?
Is it SDS1152CML? can you attach a picture to describe it?
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline Pipsa

« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »
Hello!
I have attached two screen dump pictures. I have tried everything, also restore default settings, but it just stay there.

Offline Pipsa

« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2014, 09:11:11 pm »
Yes, it is 1152CML, I forgot this detail from my screen dump mesage.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2014, 10:44:46 pm »
@ Pipsa
They are YT Cursor measurements.
I think you can turn them off, I can in a latest version SDS1072CNL.
In the Cursors menu.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2014, 08:37:24 am »
Hello!
I have attached two screen dump pictures. I have tried everything, also restore default settings, but it just stay there.

It is different  in manual. Manual details are from different FW version. Manuals are not fully updated after every FW change. 

In this case it is logical that FFT cursors are shown in FFT window and not on YT window. But what is logical for FW programmer is not always best for equipment useability. (UI handling ergonomy and visual ergonomy design need more than just skills for do program code. Example in this case YT window is not so important than FFT and it is better to overlay YT window than FFT window. Just only label it so that cursor information is from FFT)
Also some (user adjustable) transparency, position  and color settings may develop better (Siglent!)

If you use overlayed FFT display mode this small cursor window is left top.  Overlay (not separate window) mode it is mostly practical to adjust YT trace as dim as possible.

Also if there is important part of FFT trace under this cursor window you can horizontally move FFT trace.

I can also see that using FFT may need some more exercise for find more useful settings for signal under test, depending what want look.  Many times 20dB/div is wrong, due to fact that 40-50dB is max useful dynamic range of this kind of FFT (theoretically 8 bit but in practice less due to analog front end noise and ADC noise(s))

Then, it need carefully think what are signal under test things what want look. Then think what is maximum frequency wanted for FFT.  Then select sampling speed for this. Example, if look 1kHz signal and want see  range from 1st to 11th harmonic. It is 1 - 11kHz. To Mr Nyquist we give double and we need least 22kSa/s. (no it leaks and it is impossile to select in this case) 25kSa/s is also very borderline. Lets select 50kSa/s so  FFT freq range is  0 - 25kHz

Adjust YT horizontal speed (and or memory in some models) so that sample rate is 50kSa/s.
Ok, now YT display is nearly as useless. (this is FFT and if we can not zoom YT  so that there is used same sample points as FFT is using, then it is as it is but FFT works now nearly optimal related to resolution.  (In SDS2000 there can can use windowed YT zoom with FFT (but not zoom directly to FFT used sample points)

It need remember that these simple machines FFT use 1024 sample points and result is 512 point FFT)  There is now FFT left 0Hz and right 25kHz. This trace include 512 points horizontally giving around 50Hz resolution. For some amount better visibility you can zoom FFT 2x or 5x. Then of course need shift FFT horizontally so that this part what you are looking is visible. (push once "math" and some controls works now for FFT)

Also of course then select example 10dB/div and vertical shift FFT so that noise level is visible, so you have visible whole dynamic range from noise to maximum level. With YT display need carefully check that sany part of ignal do not clip. (best to think 8 vertical div is max. (true max is around 10 vertical div))
It need also some exercise how to do FFT adjustments. (knobs function change)

Also input channel separate DSP (low pass) filter optimal settings may help in some situations.
If use FFT under 5-10MHz use always analog BW limit on for reduce noise (noise aliases from over Nyquist limit) And more, if use probe, it can also use as some poor low pass filter using 1x instead of 10x. (corner freq is somewhere 3-6MHz or something like it)

I can see you did not use "Print" button for take screenshot to USB. With this function you get image what is just as on the TFT and also so that all menu is as it is displayed when push "Print" button. (no need use Save/Recall menu and also if want, right menu can shut off for more room for signal in image or if want show some menu, it can do using "Print" for image so that right menu can be as it is).

(Suomeksi tämä olisi helpompaa.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:58:35 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline MrRadish

• Contributor
  • Raspberry Pi, Arduino and electronics geek
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:35 pm »
My question for SIGLENT is to tell us about that hardware limitation (in case of SDS1102CML) which explain that when you enter in SINGLE trigger mode the scope is automaticly disable the LONGMEM.
So you can't access the longmem data (2Mega) in this mode.

Hi,

Did you get a response from Siglent to the Single Trigger LONGMEM issue?

I have SDS1102CML, S/W 5.01.02.22 F/W 11-62-3.5 with the same issue.

Cheers

Offline unfy

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2015, 11:03:38 pm »
I recently picked up one of these scopes (SDS 1102CML) and have been fiddling with it for about two days.

Synopsis: I like it.

I can confirm the single shot memory depth weirdness (S: 5.01.02.22 H: 11-62-3.5).  Unfortunate but not an immediate problem for me.... but I've not done much with the scope yet heh.

But make no mistake, this is a serious problem.

In my fiddling with the scope - I like it.  It was priced in between the Rigol 1052E and 1054Z.  Is the 1054Z a better buy ? Possibly.  I dislike the $150 per "software feature" unlock on the 1054Z though. 

The display is nice enough.  It's not super high res, but it's big enough and clear enough for my eyes.  UI reaction speed to playing with knobs is definitely no analog scope, but it's reasonable / good in my opinion.  The vertical position adjustments are perhaps the most noticeably laggy. 

From hitting the power button to ready to do work was 11 seconds.

Buttons and knobs all feel decent.  A dedicated "Trigger 50%" button is nice.   Most of knobs have a label for what their "push" function does which is a nice thought.

Probes: not the ultra hard thick PVC coated cheapies, but not high end probes either.  At the price point the scope was bought - no complaints (and comes with two).

The external trigger is on the front and is not replicated on the back (if that matters to you).

Has an in-scope help feature that's.... well, it is what it is.  You probably don't need it, but it's handy none the less.

For the negatives:

So far, my primary complaint (if any) would be the cursor system.  The cursors are the same color as the CH1 trace.  You only get 2 (two) cursors.  Kinda.  They have to be in the same domain (time or voltage).  The interface remembers the positions for each domain of the cursors - so you can quickly switch between the two domains in order to loosely approximate getting cursors in both domains (so - you kind of have 4, but only one domain is visible at a time).  I did this when using the scope to measure the values of a few capacitors (seemed like a decent quick test).

The USB interface for remote scope work ? Relatively useless IMHO.  Using the software to be able to look over waveforms and fiddle with some cursors is kind of nice, but the software just lacks. 3 second refresh rates makes it rather ewww.  As far as working with waveforms in the software - things seemed tedious and not intuitive.  The virtual control panel did work though.

The 'feet' of the scope are plastic and not rubber.  On a polished surface, this makes the scope willing to slide around a bit.  The push feature of the knobs is the most noticeable. The scope is heavy enough that it's not a huge deal - but it is present.  Bracing with some fingers of the same hand on top of the scope negates it all if you happen to be a button masher.  In a good light, I've not had any instance where the scope ever wanted to fall over while playing with buttons - it's steady.

The lower screen resolution makes on screen measurement display a bit of a pickle (as in covering up your waveforms).  I wish there was a simpler way to turn them on or off without jumping through several menus -- but -- whatever.  The measurement stuff is there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf