Author Topic: SIGLENT SDS1102CML - First Impressions  (Read 100928 times)

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SIGLENT SDS1102CML - First Impressions
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2013, 09:18:42 am »

this is a 1102CNL, which is apparently equivalent to other scopes, for example, CML, etc

take a close look an notice the skew, and the fact that it missed several data points.

at 500MS/S per channel , it should capture 25 samples per division per channel.
not so. in fact, you might be able to say it is capturing 10 data points per division, or it can't tell the difference between the LSB.

buy an analog scope if you want to know for certain what is going on.

note the decay rate and you should see something is seriously wrong.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:23:11 am by johansen »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2013, 06:02:28 pm »

this is a 1102CNL, which is apparently equivalent to other scopes, for example, CML, etc

take a close look an notice the skew, and the fact that it missed several data points.

not so. in fact, you might be able to say it is capturing 10 data points per division, or it can't tell the difference between the LSB.

buy an analog scope if you want to know for certain what is going on.

Are you sure your probe attenuation is set correctly?
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline kenw232

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2013, 05:50:45 am »
I'm trying to get EasyScope working for my Siglent SDS-1052DL so I can take screenshots of the LCD waveform.  I figure the best way is to see it on my laptop unless someone knows if I can take a screenshot with the SDS-1052DL by itself?   

Anyway I can't get WindowsXP to install a driver for EasyScope when I plug the Siglent into the USB port.  XP wants to install a driver but I have no idea where to tell it to get the driver.  I installed NIVISA 5.3 but that did not help.

SDS-1052DL
Software Version: 5.06.0216
Hardware Version: 11-62-2.6

Anyone have any idea where to actually get the USB driver for this thing? 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:55:14 am by kenw232 »

Offline kenw232

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2013, 06:28:53 am »
Forget it, I figure it out.  The scope can save a BMP to a memory stick on the fly. 

If anyone knows how I can freeze the waveform I'm seeing on the LCD so I can save it when I'm ready do tell.  They shoot by too fast for me to click the Print button.

Thanks.

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:54 am »
press the single button? or configure the trigger properly?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:16 am »
I do not know your model and firmware.

Also you did not tell what EasyScope version you have.
There is two totally different EasyScope softwares. EasyScopeX    and EasyScope|somenumber|
Main thumb rule is: If your oscolloscope menu have USB selection USBTMC you need EasyScopeX

SDS1000DL/CNL/CML User Manual V1.2,  pages 106 - 110. There is instructions.

As far as I know, NI-VISA version  5.1.2 is compatible.
No need huge full package, only small runtime is enough.

-------------
Screen  image (BMP format) you can of course save directly to USB stick.
 Just connect FAT32 formatted usb stick to front panel and push "PRINT".

If want save some other things to USB. Push SAVE/RECALL button.
In menu select "Save to" = FILE
In menu select "Type" you can select Setups,  Waveforms, Picture and CSV  (also there is selection for recall factory settings)
Then there is "Save" and "Recall" menu.. where you continue (I think menu is self explanating)
-----------

Note for PC communication becouse I do not know how is your model default or settings: Go to UTILITY menu.
Page 2/4
There is "Back USB" selection.
Look that you can select between Printer / USBTMC. If it was other change it to USBTMC.  Wait 15 seconds. Shut off scope and then boot agen. 

If you have done many kind of failed installations and also windows have done some crap usb istallations etc hassle. I will recommend  first clean all installations related to this case  and then follow instructions for just your EasyScope version.

I have used XP for all testings (becouse I test every single unit before sell) and it works.

I hope Siglent write better instructions and exatly explanation what version to use with what oscilloscope version (FW version).
(example older FW's did not have at all USBTMC. There was selection Printer/Computer  and in some equipments USBTMC/USBRAW)

Some links for some manuals and Ni-Visa can find also here.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline roberto.pietrafesa

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 02:22:00 pm »
Dear friends, good afternoon!
Excuse me if I jump-in on this thread just to ask you a question about Siglent SDS1102CML.
Since I would by a new one by china (€324 shipping included) I would kindly ask you if you checked the "frequency meter" function in a HF typical maximum range. So, for example, on 28 MHz (28.000.000 MHz).
If you put in a 28 MHz sinusoidal signal, how DSO measure it? What does appear on display? I'm afraid if it shows, for example, 28.0001 MHz, that should be not good for my purpouse.
I need to calibrate/set-up oscillators on the range (7-28 MHz) for CW (Continuous waveform modulation of radio-frequence, Morse Code in other terms). So I need a precision of 20Hz (twenty Hertz), no more.
So, again, is there anyone can have this test for me?

Thank you very much indeed.
I appreciate the time you will spent to answer to my question, and excuse me for this not perfect written english ..... anyhow better than Chinenglish!  :-DD

Best wishes from southern Italy.

Roberto.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2013, 04:18:31 pm »
Dear friends, good afternoon!
Excuse me if I jump-in on this thread just to ask you a question about Siglent SDS1102CML.
Since I would by a new one by china (€324 shipping included) I would kindly ask you if you checked the "frequency meter" function in a HF typical maximum range. So, for example, on 28 MHz (28.000.000 MHz).
If you put in a 28 MHz sinusoidal signal, how DSO measure it? What does appear on display? I'm afraid if it shows, for example, 28.0001 MHz, that should be not good for my purpouse.
I need to calibrate/set-up oscillators on the range (7-28 MHz) for CW (Continuous waveform modulation of radio-frequence, Morse Code in other terms). So I need a precision of 20Hz (twenty Hertz), no more.
So, again, is there anyone can have this test for me?

Thank you very much indeed.
I appreciate the time you will spent to answer to my question, and excuse me for this not perfect written english ..... anyhow better than Chinenglish!  :-DD

Best wishes from southern Italy.

Roberto.

By finchinglish ;)  Just simple answer.

It do not meet your needs about frequency measurement accuracy. (and around same for also other this class of oscilloscopes, Owon, Rigol 1000E, Hantek etc)
Its accuracy is least 1:100 what you need.

No need test. It read in datasheet.
If one test it is just random individual unit, some unit may be "accidentally" perfect but also tomorrow it may have other result..

This separate frequency counter what display appear bottom right corner of display.
Specs sheet tell (typical) accuracy +/- 0.01% (+/-100ppm).
With 20MHz  it can show up to +/- 2000Hz wrong and still inside specs. 

It is cheap ordinary oscilloscope, not frequency meter.
(but of course this separate freq counter is nice also in oscilloscope use becouse it measure frequency by counting trig line)

Also there is not any adjustment for internal frequency reference. It is just with its (oscillator component) factory default. But if some really want, it can modify (change reference, good 100ppb or better class TCXO or OCXO.  But, then it can ask, is is clever if think this tiny counter functions and other things, (example resolution. It have 6 digits. 20MHz least significant digit is 100's Hz.)

Automatic or cursor measurement from displayed captured waveform is of course much much more inaccurate.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:33:18 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Deckert

• Regular Contributor
    • TechBench
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 04:54:43 pm »

Eh. The CNL and CML are very different - the CNL does not have deep memory (only 40kpts), thus cannot sample at high rates over slower time bases. The CML has 50 times more memory to fit sampling in over the same time base. Did you check the Acquisition menu to see what the sample rate was? Switch to DOT mode to show the actual sample dots. Also switch off sin/x interpolation.

Verify that by checking the Acquisition menu and placing into DOT mode.

What should it be?

--deckert

Offline roberto.pietrafesa

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2013, 08:11:42 pm »
Dear friends, thank you very much indeed for your explanations. These are very useful for me.
I will consider what I have to buy now.
Again, thank you and have a good luck for all!
I'm involved in built (DIY - Do It Yourself) HF kits, so principally up to max 30 MHz.
So now I would like to buy a SIGLENT DSO, since I like the possibility to save data on USB and after analyze these data on PC. But I'm not sure if I have to buy:
1)  a 100MHz or 60/70MHz DSO
2) a CNL/CML/CFL/DL type

The price differences are up to 120€. That is not a problem to spend much, but if I save about 100€, I can buy a good used frequency meter, so that I can complete the instruments set I need (I just have a FLUKE 87V DMM).

I don't want to buy a "better" DSO that I will pay more but it is not needful for my purpouse.

Thank you for your further suggestions.

Sincerely,
Roberto.

Roberto.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:48:49 am by roberto.pietrafesa »

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:19 pm »
Verify that by checking the Acquisition menu and placing into DOT mode.
What should it be?
--deckert

I was likely not very clear.
by decay rate i meant the decay rate of the 50Mhz ringing on the drain waveform (20ns period)
you'll notice it isn't forming the usual logarithmic decline.
instead, it appears to be sort of "sustained"
by my estimation, the blue trace should reach all the way to 60 volts, instead it is sort of clipped at 55.

also, the DV/DT of the blue trace changes at about 48 volts.. i've never seen such with similar circuitry and analog scopes.

when i have some time i'll have to compare this scope with something 50 times the price..
and yes i changed it to single channel and the sampling, etc, it doesn't seem to "go any faster"

edit, in both of those captures, the dv/dt is indeed changing once the drain gets to about 48 volts, about 20ns before the fet fully turns off and the gate voltage starts to drop again... hmm...

edit2: at 250ns per division and below, the scope claims 500MS/s for two channel
at 50ns/div and below, its 1Gs for one channel, 500Ms for two.

i'll have to investigate this weird stuff further, there's "plenty of dots" even at 500MS/s and two channels.. it should show what's going on a bit better...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:30:38 pm by johansen »

Offline hggTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 07:00:46 pm »
Hi to all,

After some months of use I would like to state the most annoying things about the specific oscilloscope.
In general it is a very nice scope and if they fix the following in a future firmware it would be excellent
for its price range.

1) The most annoying thing its the way it displays the measured data on the right.  They list all the labels
and data with the same colour size and font!  They have not even bothered to change the font colour
depending on the channel you are monitoring.  You are not using the scope to look at nice waveform.
only.  You are making measurements as well.  Its very confusing to locate the value you are watching,
if everything has the same colour font and size.  They took the time to implement different color themes,
and left out that 'minor' detail'.  How clever is that!?  What were they thinking ?  |O
(they should also let the user use smaller fonts in order to fit more measured values)

2) The other annoying thing is the sluggishness of the trigger and position adjustment knobs.  Its like
playing a game when you try to centre on a value...  You have created a scope of 1Gsa/sec and you
cannot move a single line cursor with a respectable speed.  Nice.

3) They are using the same colour for the waveform and the cursors.  This is not so annoying but they
could have done better.  Ok, don't use a different colour, but you can at least use a darker or lighter
shade to make them more visible.

Finally the only firmware bug that I have found concerns the USB stick.  If you leave it plugged in and
switch off the unit, it will not recognize it at power on.  You have to remove it and reinsert it. 

Its seven months now and I have not seen any firmware updates.  Not sure if they will ever release
any...but If they can fix these minor details (especially the first one) it will make it a great option for
the beginner in electronics and at a great price.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2013, 11:06:25 am »
Well, nothing serious when compared to Tektronix TDS1000 / TDS2000 scopes...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline copperwings

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2013, 12:08:16 pm »
The very first annoying thing i've found is that the damn thing won't remember the language setup. It will remember the channel choice etc. but not the language.

Hello friends! this is a simple matter of reloading the config file (not the FW). Had the same (minor) issue (same HW and FW version as yours). Latest firmware along with config file needed can be found here: http://siglent.freeforums.org/new-fw-for-sds1000cml-and-cnl-t77.html

Offline cheloski

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2013, 08:36:58 am »
hello to everyone.... I am using my new Siglent 1102 CML for one week , and today when I power on the oscilloscope , it show me the screen of presentation like always (where say Siglent 1102 CML....) , but later the screen turn in white , and stay frozzen , like trying to charge the software......do you know if this happen before to other person?....or what to do ?....I sent a mail to Siglent , and I am waiting the answer..... I appreciate if someone can help me......thanks for your help....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2013, 08:49:14 am »
Siglent are on line right now. Send them a PM.
Don't forget to share your results with us.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline cheloski

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2013, 11:25:33 am »
Thanks a lot...  Fortunately, I have repaired the problem ..... I sent a mail with my problem to Siglent.eu , where I have bought the oscilloscope , and I received a fast answer ........  After power on , I have to pressed a lot of time the key "math"  , after that the oscilloscope start normally.... He sayed me to put the English language like default (before have Spanish), may be the problem stay there.....I will continue using the unit, I hope not to have more problems....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:28:27 am by cheloski »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2013, 08:14:40 pm »
Siglent frequently read this forum and will note problems for future tweaks to firmware.

We all must remember to post problems so they are aware of them.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2014, 05:37:58 pm »
Hi,
I just bought SDS1102CML scope a few days ago and still learning about all the features of this scope.

While playing with the scope I found one strange issue... I was hopping if anybody can test this on his scope. I want to find out if perhaps I have a faulty scope  or maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

I'm feeding 1k sine wave inverted signals on both channels. When I'm trying to use sum function, I'm expecting to get a flat line but what I get is...  :wtf:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »
I would suggest you ZERO the trigger level and check other trigger settings. I can try myself if you have no luck.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2014, 07:53:11 pm »
I would suggest you ZERO the trigger level and check other trigger settings. I can try myself if you have no luck.

Ok, I tried to zero out the trigger level and also set the trigger coupling to AC but the issue still remain.
I forgot to mention that my AC signal is riding on top of 300V DC signal. I'm guessing here but this DC component probably is the cause of this issue.
Any ideas?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2014, 08:19:26 pm »
OK, 80V 1KHz AC on top of 300V DC, right?
Do any of the other math functions display correctly?
Have you tried triggering from Ch 1?

Check if you can get the results you want with the Probe cal signal, but the timing will be the same for both channels.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2014, 08:33:17 pm »
OK, 80V 1KHz AC on top of 300V DC, right?
Do any of the other math functions display correctly?
Have you tried triggering from Ch 1?

Check if you can get the results you want with the Probe cal signal, but the timing will be the same for both channels.

Yes correct that is my signal.
I think other math functions are fine.
I did try triggering from CH1, nothing happened.

Interesting, when I try to use only my sig generator and running same signal on both channels, obviously I have to deduct the signal and same thing happens. If I invert one channel and use sum.... Same thing happens.

I'm starting to think something is wrong with my scope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2014, 08:46:17 pm »
Confirm you Firmware version is the latest. If you scope is doing everything else correctly, it might be a firmware bug.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Deckert

• Regular Contributor
    • TechBench
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2014, 12:02:38 am »
I'm feeding 1k sine wave inverted signals on both channels. When I'm trying to use sum function, I'm expecting to get a flat line but what I get is...  :wtf:

I suspect your math voltage scale is not set to the same scale as the other two channels. Select the math channel and go to page two of the setup. There are two options: one for setting the vertical position and the second to set the vertical resolution. Make sure it is not set to nV :)

--deckert
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:04:31 am by Deckert »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf