Author Topic: Siglent SDS1202X-E compensation issue (and other manufacturers ?)  (Read 130508 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Siglent SDS1202X-E compensation issue (and other manufacturers ?)
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2017, 09:26:10 pm »
Nope. ESD is exactly like lightning. It is a charge which discharges through the path with least resistance.

A short to the equipment's GND is going to be hard to beat.
Not if that ground is disconnected from the rest.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Arjan Emm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2017, 09:33:06 pm »
Hi siglent, since you are clearly not focussing on the professional market, make your shortcomings a feature. Make buying a siglent scope a multi-stage educational experience. Supply it with a soldering iron and some unpopulated pcb's and parts.
First chapter, you solder a through hole ne555 blinking led together. Next one is to try it with smd parts. When you mastered this you can start filling in the unpopulated parts of the scope.

Now you hopefully have a properly working scope on the hardware level and it's time to move on to software. Make the software open source and give guidelines on how to find the bugs. Students can work together to find these and come up with a solution.
If a student manages to return an actually working piece of measurement equipment you hand out an eev  diploma and hire him.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2017, 11:07:35 pm »
Nope. ESD is exactly like lightning. It is a charge which discharges through the path with least resistance.

A short to the equipment's GND is going to be hard to beat.
The mainboard must be completely removed from the chassis for the rework therefore all ground connections are lost.

ESD precautions are a must.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2017, 03:31:54 pm »
Hello,

By using latex gloves one must be able to avoid the problem of electro-static discharges.
If I can get the 2 capacitors I make the modification using my soldering iron on li-ion battery.
I am not paranoid at this point, but short circuit the BNC plug will be a plus.

Diabolo

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2017, 03:36:32 pm »
By using latex gloves one must be able to avoid the problem of electro-static discharges.
:palm:  :palm:  :palm:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2017, 03:52:38 pm »
Hello,

We will talk about it again when I solder the 2 capacitors.
I never took special precautions and it always went well.
I will not dress like a cosmonaut to solder 2 unfortunate capacitors, it's not nitroglycerine!

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2017, 05:03:15 pm »
Several decades ago I sold self assembled PCs every now and then. Due to space constraints I assembled one PC in a non-ESD safe environment. Almost every part of that PC failed within the warranty period!

Did these PCs employ cheapest crap on mostly yellow-colored boards? I did same briefly and also most of them failed sooner or later. Interesting that best possible components that went to my or my friends machines never failed, despite insane overclocking :P PII 300 @ 450 MHz + ATI Rage was all the rage :-+

Offline Serge Petrov

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2017, 05:19:34 pm »
If I can get the 2 capacitors
You can solder the capacitor to the PCB in a bath. Not a joke. Metal bath and water pipes are good for an ESD protection

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2017, 05:33:19 pm »
Several decades ago I sold self assembled PCs every now and then. Due to space constraints I assembled one PC in a non-ESD safe environment. Almost every part of that PC failed within the warranty period!
Did these PCs employ cheapest crap on mostly yellow-colored boards?
No. Ofcourse not because I (still) don't want to deal with warranty issues so I only used top notch components with a proven track record.

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2017, 05:52:21 pm »
Hello,

Do not create a psychosis with welding without ESD.
On a laptop, the only time a pro soldered an integrated circuit with a strap, anti-static mat etc ... the component soldered by him never worked.
I replaced i self this integrated circuit even barbaric way without any precautions, and it still works.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:55:34 pm by Diabolo »

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2017, 05:58:57 pm »
No. Ofcourse not because I (still) don't want to deal with warranty issues so I only used top notch components with a proven track record.

I did not get to pick what to use :'(

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2017, 06:09:57 pm »
ESD is not to be underestimated for sure. Several decades ago I sold self assembled PCs every now and then. Due to space constraints I assembled one PC in a non-ESD safe environment. Almost every part of that PC failed within the warranty period!
While I do think ESD is an underestimated problem, you need an extraordinarily static prone environment or amount of bad luck for that to happen.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2017, 06:15:15 pm »
Hello,

We will talk about it again when I solder the 2 capacitors.
I never took special precautions and it always went well.
I will not dress like a cosmonaut to solder 2 unfortunate capacitors, it's not nitroglycerine!

You are working with sensitive circuit board. Not only with 2 capacitors. You need handle whole main board. You need disconnect sensitive bus cables. You handle this pcb. First you unistall all for this rework and after then you assemble all back. All time you are handling whole circuit what is ESD sensitive. If you think ESD safe work is some kind of joke this tell only that you dop not have enough experience, knowledge and education. With you words I hope you never go to any serious factory what make ESD sensitive electronics. Of course some can teach you but because of the wrong attitude it may also be useless.  Many things seem simpler and more unnecessary, depending on how little you know. Knowledge increases the pain.
Of course this is not rocketr science. Just simple but right methods and follow right rules and practices and all is ok.

Btw, have you never seen ESD damaged capacitor. Or resistor. In some rare cases even PCB itself can damage in some special cases.
3kV is guite low. 50kV is nice. <10V can damage some sensitive components etc etc..

But so or so. Understanding even part of this may tell that ESD things need take seriously if is doing something seriously with electronics. Even when thing feels "simple".  It is much more complex than most can imagine.

"Optimization of ESD Protection Methods in Electronics Assembly Based on Process
and Product Specific Risks"
https://tutcris.tut.fi/portal/files/8786851/tamminen_1439.pdf 

CISCO ESD training
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/esd-training-program/how-much-static.html

So lets stop joking about serious things with electronics. I still believe this is not kindergarten. If do not know it can tell. Some peoples here  can then kindly teach. Here is lot of also peoples who really have lot of knowledge and experience. It do not cost anything if ask instead of start joking. Difficult is if human do not know and he do not know this. This is - sad.

Damages can avoid using very simple but right things and working practices. Only need know and follow simple rules instead of thoughts and beliefs or "so what" thinking.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2017, 07:46:43 pm »
When Dave unmounted 1202X-E, he was concerned about esd ?
Unless I'm mistaken, I have not seen protection of any kind.
-

Rest assured, I will still be careful.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2017, 07:48:47 pm »
When Dave unmounted 1202X-E, he was concerned about esd ?
Unless I'm mistaken, I have not seen protection of any kind.
-

Rest assured, I will still be careful.
Do you see that pale green mat in the background? That used to be blue, but more importantly, is a grounded ESD mat.

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »
There is a word : "You must do what preacher say , not what him do in the real life"... :)
Nobody can contest the theory .For an 500uV front-end from a digital scope we must take precautions . 

Now I have a question : Soldering of two capacitors is easy to do but what about the warranty seal ?
Siglent will honor the warranty on these scopes ?

rf-loop , tautech can you give us this answer ? 

Thank you !

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2017, 11:52:18 pm »
Now I have a question : Soldering of two capacitors is easy to do but what about the warranty seal ?
Siglent will honor the warranty on these scopes ?
In return a question: Would you if it's not done in an authorised Siglent service centre ?

Siglent have not made an official statement on this matter so if you're worried about warranty, contact your supplier or one of the Siglent branches.
We have shared the fix, it is up to the owner to choose the method that is best for them.
As mentioned the risks are ESD damage and also damage to the ribbon cables or their connectors, these parts must be worked on with care and the whole process not hurried.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: skander36

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2017, 09:05:06 am »
So , with RMA costs , price of this scope is not so low.
After attempts to minimize auto setup fails by doing firmware reflash followed by selfcalibration , the compensation issue is even worse ... |O
Keysight has right : "Scrap the Toys, Get a Real Oscilloscope".

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2017, 10:00:06 am »
In return a question: Would you if it's not done in an authorised Siglent service centre ?

Siglent have not made an official statement on this matter so if you're worried about warranty, contact your supplier or one of the Siglent branches.
We have shared the fix, it is up to the owner to choose the method that is best for them.
As mentioned the risks are ESD damage and also damage to the ribbon cables or their connectors, these parts must be worked on with care and the whole process not hurried.
I was under the impression that it is a sanctioned modification. How can customers with this issue return their oscilloscope for a free repair?

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2017, 10:42:55 am »
So , with RMA costs , price of this scope is not so low.
After attempts to minimize auto setup fails by doing firmware reflash followed by selfcalibration , the compensation issue is even worse ... |O
Keysight has right : "Scrap the Toys, Get a Real Oscilloscope".
You mean the scope that comes with crappy probes, which are temparature sensitive, and need to warm up ?
Or with the Lelong caps in the PSU
Or with Flash corruption, so you need to send the complete unit back to Keysight ?
Get real, and ignore all the marketing BS from Keysight

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:28 am »
I contacted my supplier, Batronix, and they told me that Siglent is releasing a new motherboard. It will take some time, so they are going to call me back when the situation is clearer.

This must be fixed by Siglent under warranty, any other suggestion would be ridiculous. It's a design/manufacturing error.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2017, 12:24:26 pm »
I contacted my supplier, Batronix, and they told me that Siglent is releasing a new motherboard. It will take some time, so they are going to call me back when the situation is clearer.

This must be fixed by Siglent under warranty, any other suggestion would be ridiculous. It's a design/manufacturing error.
Strong words.

Sure it is not a good situation but I ask how does the unit not meet spec ?
It does and therefore is not a warranty issue.

If Siglent choose to rework or replace the mainboard it is in goodwill for their many existing customers.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline illusive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2017, 01:18:47 pm »

Please inform us when you get the answer back from Batronix, I was just about to order the scope from them.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2017, 01:34:25 pm »
Strong words.

If Siglent choose to rework or replace the mainboard it is in goodwill for their many existing customers.

It's simple. User manual doesn't specify that x10 probes must be calibrated whenever one changes the vertical scale. So I think it's safe to assume that the calibration will hold. It doesn't? Well, there seems to be a problem in my book.

The question is: is it a design or manufacturing error or not?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »
Strong words.

If Siglent declares this to be normal and acceptable behaviour, they won't be considered a serious player for years to come. It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/warrenbuff108887.html

The following users thanked this post: exe

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf