Author Topic: Siglent SDS1202X-E compensation issue (and other manufacturers ?)  (Read 130507 times)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Siglent SDS1202X-E compensation issue (and other manufacturers ?)
« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2018, 11:23:28 am »
Some times sales persons have never seen product irl what they sell. How can ask these sellers offer some repair service or technical after sales customer help. Just, nothing.
But the product is cheap. What do you want? If you want decent service then you have to spend more money.
Tautech deserves a big pad on the shoulder  :-+ for trying to clean up after Siglent but even he has to realise this whole affair just eats into his profits (time spend and sales lost).

What I want. Question is not what I want. Question is what customers want. Question is what kind of service I can give to customers from my own pocket. I have not made these mistakes, but I am responsible in live practice. Not perhaps legally responsible but I have my reputation and I have faces and both of these are values-property what I want not easy loose when others make mistakes. This is what push me, and example even more Tautch to work things what do not belong to me or he. Perhaps I can go to Siglent factory and tell that this lot you do so that I control and watch it from components to ready product and all do under my eyes and control. Then I can be also responsible but then I also want my salary.

This is why I ask previously and kindly: It can also ask from Siglent if it is intelligent or stupid to break the camel's back if there is still long way home.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:07:06 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2018, 12:33:03 pm »
[snipped]
What I want. Question is not what I want. Question is what kind of service I can give to customers from my own pocket. I have not made these mistakes, but I am responsible in live practice. Not perhaps legally responsible but I have my reputation and I have faces and both of these are values-property what I want not easy loose when others make mistakes. This is what push me, and example even more Tautech to work things what do not belong to me or he.
THIS ^^^^

Despite other offers of distributorship from competing brands I choose to remain a Siglent only distributor and the benefits are that the information can flow freely to you all. Yes I could represent other brands but the problems others have with worse support and poor design can only lower what reputation I have in the industry  and worked hard for. Like rf-loop but with much less experience, I look hard at the equipment, what it can offer and sell and support accordingly. Siglent models that have not progressed, are outdated or are priced at the very bottom of the barrel I WILL NOT STOCK !

I say here and now to Siglent that I will re-attempt to arrange a video of SDS1202X-E rework as it was abandoned after some pressure on me from high in Siglent. Only now after it has been very clear that management won't assign resources to do rework for customers at service centers it is now important that good guidance to do the rework is available online.
It is not simple easy but capable hobbyists with some care and SMD experience and a sig gen capable of 10 KHz square wave @ 1.2V and 12V can do the rework. It is not hard.
At least Siglent have given us a detailed procedure that matches production adjustments.

This problem will shadow Siglent for some time to come and it is a shame that SDS1202X-E has been tarred with this brush, it is a very good little DSO and soon will be my best seller.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2018, 01:16:53 pm »
[snipped]
What I want. Question is not what I want. Question is what kind of service I can give to customers from my own pocket. I have not made these mistakes, but I am responsible in live practice. Not perhaps legally responsible but I have my reputation and I have faces and both of these are values-property what I want not easy loose when others make mistakes. This is what push me, and example even more Tautech to work things what do not belong to me or he.
THIS ^^^^

Despite other offers of distributorship from competing brands I choose to remain a Siglent only distributor and the benefits are that the information can flow freely to you all. Yes I could represent other brands but the problems others have with worse support and poor design can only lower what reputation I have in the industry  and worked hard for. Like rf-loop but with much less experience, I look hard at the equipment, what it can offer and sell and support accordingly. Siglent models that have not progressed, are outdated or are priced at the very bottom of the barrel I WILL NOT STOCK !

I say here and now to Siglent that I will re-attempt to arrange a video of SDS1202X-E rework as it was abandoned after some pressure on me from high in Siglent. Only now after it has been very clear that management won't assign resources to do rework for customers at service centers it is now important that good guidance to do the rework is available online.
It is not simple easy but capable hobbyists with some care and SMD experience and a sig gen capable of 10 KHz square wave @ 1.2V and 12V can do the rework. It is not hard.
At least Siglent have given us a detailed procedure that matches production adjustments.

This problem will shadow Siglent for some time to come and it is a shame that SDS1202X-E has been tarred with this brush, it is a very good little DSO and soon will be my best seller.
Seriously, You should take the other distributorship offers.  Siglent will ditch you at their earliest convenience (i.e. If they find a way to sell directly, cutting the middle tier).

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
  • Amateur radio op; electronics dabbler
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2018, 01:25:44 pm »
If the producer of the video linked below is to be believed then this video is confirmation that Siglent or one of its distributors are knowingly and actively distributing problematic oscilloscopes. The fellow in the video states that he purchased this particular scope at a reduced price from Siglent after they declared that it had a known repairable problem.

He states that he wrote several companies looking for second hand units, demos, etc. and Siglent replied that they had this one which was a former lab unit.  The way he describes it, they did not inform him of the issue, and apparently did not add the capacitors before sending it out to him from, presumably, the factory.   :palm:

For fellow member StillTrying's sake and sanity it is about time and good to hear that Siglent are finally going to address the outstanding firmware issues with the still current CML+ series. I seriously ask, does Siglent have a disgruntled employee or saboteur in its midst ?, no company I ever knew fucked things up so badly or on such a regular basis, I feel sorry for their good agents and distributors who once again have to tolerate this crap.

Outside of this forum, just what percentage of USA buyers have recognized an issue with any of the products and are contacting their dealer/distributor/the factory for repair/replacement?  My guess is that the percentage is quite small.  I suspect that Siglent USA has made a calculated cost/benefiit decision to arrive at their current position.

Let's face it, a lab is not going to be considering Siglent for their test equipment line up.  If I were outfitting a lab to set up a repair business I would be looking at Tektronix and comparable OEMs.  Siglent is clearly aiming at the hobbyist/student/part time repair shop market where Tektronix reputation is not the first consideration in the purchase.  In this forum this issue is getting quite a bit of attention but outside of forum members posting reviews on Amazon, this issue is unknown.  I know because even in my searches a few weeks ago this thread did not come up.  Five star reviews are still being posted on Amazon indicating satisfaction.  I would have posted a five star review up until February 11.  So let's not think this issue will actually harm Siglent in any appreciable way.

Fact is that I had not heard of Siglent in amateur radio circles, which is somewhat surprising or maybe I just wasn't paying attention, and only discovered them via an Amazon search for DSOs.  I watched several of Dave's videos regarding Siglent products and my impression was that for the money it is a good product especially for its targeted market segment.  I'm going to continue to work toward getting a BB 'scope no matter how long it takes as I really like the feature set and small footprint for the occasional work on amateur radio transceivers I want to do.

As Amazon is the most visible venue for reviews of the product, in the USA at least, so long as the review percentage remains high, Siglent USA will continue to let the BA stock move out the door as the few returns and complaints will cost them little.  It stinks to be sure, but is the way of the modern business model in the USA.

Note, this is not to defend Siglent USA but to explain what I see going on knowing the corporate world as I do.  If I get a BB unit, I will likely adjust my review to four or five stars.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:28:04 pm by N0NB »
- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2018, 01:41:31 pm »
After another appeal to Steve Barfield, he offered to allow me to RMA my scope for a refund (less shipping) which is OK but he's never apologized for falsely accusing me of leaving a 1-star review and he still insists that the compensation issue is not something covered by warranty.

Siglent America could and should have done the right thing from the start, fix all these scopes under warranty.

I could go buy a new SDS1202X-E but I deiced to buy a DS1054Z instead.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:04:16 am by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:14 pm »
Seriously, You should take the other distributorship offers.  Siglent will ditch you at their earliest convenience (i.e. If they find a way to sell directly, cutting the middle tier).
Unless it was 1st tier equipment, not much interested. Some offers are interesting but when you look harder at their product ranges.....yeah, nah !  :=\

Been through that exercise years ago when I was looking for scope brands to sell and all the 'good' stuff is spoken for by long established dealers in this part of the world.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TurboSam

• Contributor
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2018, 04:15:05 pm »
As Amazon is the most visible venue for reviews of the product, in the USA at least, so long as the review percentage remains high, Siglent USA will continue to let the BA stock move out the door as the few returns and complaints will cost them little.  It stinks to be sure, but is the way of the modern business model in the USA.

Note, this is not to defend Siglent USA but to explain what I see going on knowing the corporate world as I do.  If I get a BB unit, I will likely adjust my review to four or five stars.

It is precisely because AMZN is so visible that details about the product and the support (or lack of support) behind the product from the manufacturer be included in reviews there. 

I do hope that, if/when you get a BB unit, you detail what was wrong with the first one and the steps you had to take to get a corrected one.....
Paralysis by analysis.

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2018, 06:58:16 pm »
I do hope that, if/when you get a BB unit, you detail what was wrong with the first one and the steps you had to take to get a corrected one.....

I presently have a one star review up on Amazon with an explanation with screen shots.
- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

Offline TurboSam

• Contributor
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2018, 09:28:18 pm »
I presently have a one star review up on Amazon with an explanation with screen shots.

I just saw it and the 2 and 4 star negative comments, and noted that even the 5 star comments were not unambiguously positive.
Paralysis by analysis.

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2018, 06:13:09 pm »
Amazon.ca shipped me a second defective unit ("BA" serial) I confirmed the probe compensation defect.

I'm packing this one up and returning it too.

Amazon.ca is offering 3 options;

1: Return both scopes fur a full refund.
2: 20% discount on the original shipped unit
3: Try a third time

I'm going to try a third time. I'm making it clear that if it is also a "BA" serial number that I will be returning it too.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2018, 01:34:43 am »
Amazon.ca shipped me a second defective unit ("BA" serial) I confirmed the probe compensation defect.

I think we should have a poll on whether you get a third "BA", I think the chances are high. :horse:
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #386 on: February 21, 2018, 03:21:10 am »
I just received my replacement from Amazon earlier this evening and am happy to report that it is a 'BB' unit and now there is a label on the outside of the box with the model and serial number (maybe it was covered by another label on the previous unit?).  I've had it on just a few minutes and I've played with it just a bit using the compensation test point and the square wave is much more stable while cycling through several ranges.

:clap:   :-+
- Nate

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #387 on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:40 pm »
 This time, amazon says it'll be the right one :-) I should know later today - I'll post here when it arrives.

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #388 on: February 21, 2018, 02:41:08 pm »
Purchased through MegaDepot, about a week ago, must be a dropshipper? Still no word on shipping, could be a good thing if I get a bb s# if not it will go back, truly a shame  how this has been swept under the rug. Such a great scope otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:16:35 pm by chipss »

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2018, 04:19:38 pm »

I think we should have a poll on whether you get a third "BA", I think the chances are high. :horse:

You would win that bet -- I now have 3 "BA" serial number units to send back to Amazon.ca

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2018, 04:19:52 pm »
Purchased through MegaDepot, about a week ago, must be a dropshipper? Still no word on shipping, could be a good thing if I get a bb s# if not it will go back, truly a same how this has been swept under the rug. Such a great scope otherwise.
My sentiments entirely.  I liked the scope but the attitude towards me as a paying customer...

All things being equal, people will do business with people that they like.
All things not being equal, people will still do business with people that they like.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2018, 04:33:41 pm »
The serial number was not on the outside of the box. So I opened it to check -- another "BA" serial number, and I confirmed the compensation issue -- they are not sending out fixed units - they are trying to unload the defective ones on unsuspecting customers. Amazon assured me that they had checked and that a correct unit would be shipped. It was not. Again, I don't blame Amazon -- I believe Siglent is to blame here.

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #392 on: February 21, 2018, 05:18:13 pm »
Hello,

It is true that Siglent would have had to take over and replace the known BA stocks at the resellers, it was the easiest and least expensive solution.
Similarly warn distributors of the problem and see with them if they could install themselves 4pf capacitors.

Diabolo

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: February 21, 2018, 05:20:16 pm »
You would win that bet -- I now have 3 "BA" serial number units to send back to Amazon.ca

Are you going to try for a fourth. :horse:
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: February 21, 2018, 06:09:57 pm »

FFS, that's appalling !

Truly, what a state of affairs.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #395 on: February 21, 2018, 06:26:48 pm »
But just think about how many "used" scopes will be available on Amazon Warehouse at bargain prices!   >:D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #396 on: February 21, 2018, 07:18:52 pm »
The serial number was not on the outside of the box. So I opened it to check .............
Can I ask if it was double boxed or single ?

If double boxed, the SN# is never visible, only on the inner box on one end.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #397 on: February 21, 2018, 08:21:42 pm »
Funny just got tracking info from MegaDepot, and shipping is out of Ohio, pretty sure it’s been dropshiped from Siglent, we shall see what shows up.
 :-//

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #398 on: February 21, 2018, 08:43:02 pm »
The serial number was not on the outside of the box. So I opened it to check .............
Can I ask if it was double boxed or single ?

If double boxed, the SN# is never visible, only on the inner box on one end.

Single boxed. None of the three units I have been shipped have the serial number on the outside of the box. They have all been "BA" serial numbers, and they all have the probe compensation defect.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #399 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:01 pm »

Are you going to try for a fourth. :horse:

Amazon.ca is not giving that option -- it's now just "return for full refund"
And I updated my review to 1 star.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf