Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000 new V2 Firmware  (Read 97752 times)

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Siglent SDS2000 new V2 Firmware
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:45:31 am »
Just publicly released today the new SDS2000 V2 FW:
We've had a peek of this new FW a few weeks ago when Siglent offered us a Beta version to appraise.

http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDS2000-V2.0-1.02.01.01.27.rar

Further update V2 FW 9 Dec
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDS2000-V2.0-1.02.01.28R1.rar

Feedback appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:07:36 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000 new V2 Firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:57:59 am »
Please note there are 4 steps to upgrade from V1 to V2 firmware, these are outlined in the update instructions that are part of the FW update.

First install a .cfg, then reboot.
Then the .ads file TWICE with a reboot after each install.
Finally a Self cal.

Attached is the pdf changelog.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:31:46 am »
From the changelog

? Somehow the timescale for the digital channels doesn't follow the timescale for the analog channels

I don't have much faith that Siglent can fix something if they don't know how its happening.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:37:02 am »
From the changelog

? Somehow the timescale for the digital channels doesn't follow the timescale for the analog channels

I don't have much faith that Siglent can fix something if they don't know how its happening.
Really.  ::)
It's a description of a bug thats been addressed in this new FW or don't you get that?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:41:50 am »
Most notable improvement is the increased Memory Depth, from 28Mpts to 70Mpts now in timebases from 5 to 20ms.  :clap:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:05:31 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:02:38 am »
I get that they say it has been fixed in the new firmware. But the fact that they say "Somehow the timescale..." makes it sound like they don't know what was causing the issue. And if they don't know what was causing it then how can they be sure they fixed it? Maybe I'm misreading it or maybe its a translation to english wording issue.

Offline analogNewbie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:45:23 am »
I checked the Chinese version. It should be 'sometimes'.

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 11:25:40 am »
Is the update from V2 beta same procedure??

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:46 pm »
I get that they say it has been fixed in the new firmware. But the fact that they say "Somehow the timescale..." makes it sound like they don't know what was causing the issue. And if they don't know what was causing it then how can they be sure they fixed it? Maybe I'm misreading it or maybe its a translation to english wording issue.

Chinglish is my first and only guess. Otherwise, there would be never a situation where you word it that way AT ALL. If you didn't know the exact cause you would just say "Fixed timescales does not match analog section).
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:40:45 pm »
As you are probably aware the Beta did not enable the 70M memory depth so it would be wise to follow the 4 update steps to gain all the new extras.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 09:18:47 pm »
From the changelog

I have a feeling they copied a lot of text from my bug list. The wording in the changelog looks very familiar to me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:40:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 07:38:14 am »
My scope sometimes locks up and fails to respond to any key presses, I only found this issue recently having finally getting stuck into some troubleshooting trying to repair a fluke 8842a. It seems to happen after its screen saver comes on and I clear it, hopefully the new firmware helps that issue, I might have to load it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:29 am »
My scope sometimes locks up and fails to respond to any key presses, I only found this issue recently having finally getting stuck into some troubleshooting trying to repair a fluke 8842a. It seems to happen after its screen saver comes on and I clear it, hopefully the new firmware helps that issue, I might have to load it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Scott, were you running the Beta FW or the V1 FW yours came with?
Did you install the last V1 FW?
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDS2000-1.01.01.37.9.rar

You do want to install this new V2 FW and get the additional memory depth it offers.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 08:52:22 am »
I had same problem like TheDefpom with FW v1 on both scopes.
K

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:03 am »
Scott, were you running the Beta FW or the V1 FW yours came with?
Did you install the last V1 FW?
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDS2000-1.01.01.37.9.rar

You do want to install this new V2 FW and get the additional memory depth it offers.

I am still using the original firmware that the scope came with, I will download the latest one now and have a go at upgrading it...
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 12:13:49 pm »

Words from Mr. Wu (SIGLENT CHINA)

"   A little different.
    From V1 to V2 you need upgrade the ADS file twice..
    From V2 beta to V2-27 you only need upgarde the ADS file one time   
    Rest please follow the Update guide document.    "

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 05:15:27 pm »

My upgrade to the v2 [27] firmware from v2 [beta19] went well (I upgraded the ads twice for good luck).  I will get some time in the near future to do a complete check of all features including Digital channels in the
next week.  If I find things wrong - I will post a list.  2 minutes after the upgrade I already noticed that the terminology used in the HISTORY feature - Button that says List Off/List On it's label is reversed.  I'd assume you push the button that says List Off to turn the list off, but I have no list present.  Pressing it makes the list appears, and button then reads List On, in theory I guess it could mean the text of the button refers to the lists current state... but well I'm starting to babble... and this issue is trivial.

I wanted to at least give Siglent a  :-+ :-+ for including a ChangeLog - that is awesome, and helps alot.

Chris

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 08:08:57 pm »
I upgraded mine last night, but don't see the new 70Mpts rate, still 28?

Ahh, it doesn't use the new one automatically, I had to go in and select it.

I notice it also has a 56Mpts at 2.0mS now.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:15:02 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 01:09:25 am »
From the changelog

I have a feeling they copied a lot of text from my bug list. The wording in the changelog looks very familiar to me.

They are researching, at least. But it's a shame companies are so proud to recognize feedback from third parties. Anyway, they should hire you full-time to fix their scopes.

What's your opinion about this update? Does make it reliable in the level of Rigol or better?

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 02:59:13 am »
I used it for about an hour today, no lock ups so far, one slight bug I found was the digital display, when first set to be the "high" display, when changing triggers (I think it was anyway) on ch1 when I went back out it had changed to "med", which is how it used to show it on mine anyway, so I switched it back to high, seems to stay after that.
Cheers Scott

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 09:11:13 am »
From the changelog

They are researching, at least. But it's a shame companies are so proud to recognize feedback from third parties. Anyway, they should hire you full-time to fix their scopes.

What's your opinion about this update? Does make it reliable in the level of Rigol or better?
I have no opinion since I opted to get rid of my SDS2000. I have listed several other complaints (like only decoding what is on screen - which is useless- and making FFT useful) which I don't see in the changelog.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 03:17:16 pm »

Just a heads up for anyone considering doing the upgrade.  I'm in the middle of trying to determine why my purchased option keys
don't work on the newly upgraded scope. 

Batronix indicated that the Scope ID might/should have changed after the update to v2 firmware, but my Serial and Scope ID are exactly the same
after the upgrade.  Sadly the newly delivered option serial keys are not working, they (Batronix) are looking into it... I'll update if there is a *real* issue, hopefully
something simple.  But if you are planning on installing any options in the next bit hold off installing the v2 firmware until they are on the scope.

Chris

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 03:24:57 pm »
In the V1 software you have to select which option you are going to install otherwise the option key doesn't work. For some reason the firmware can't detect what kind of option you are installing  :palm:

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 03:44:20 pm »
In the V1 software you have to select which option you are going to install otherwise the option key doesn't work. For some reason the firmware can't detect what kind of option you are installing  :palm:

OMG lol, I'll give that a try... that's funny as hell.  :-DD  Also kinda sad... :(

Chris

*** Update:  Nope this made no difference, I would have felt like an idiot.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:49:25 pm by cidcorp »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:19 pm »

OMG lol, I'll give that a try... that's funny as hell.  :-DD  Also kinda sad... :(

Chris

*** Update:  Nope this made no difference, I would have felt like an idiot.
Sorry, I haven't got any magic to offer you.  |O

All I can suggest is to double check the SN and ID #'s you sent for the option code were correct.
The "enable" codes you got back should look something like this: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and there be one for each option acquired.

When you enter your codes do you get any indication of error or confirmation of entry?

Little walk through:

In the Option Information window there will be a box listing all 4 options and their current status; Trial, Expired or Permanent and when an Option is installed correctly the License Type will be Permanent and the trial counter (Remain Times) will show XX

The options NOT permanently enabled will be highlighted in the Option Type popup and the "installed" options not highlighted.
As each Option is selected in the Type popup the 2nd window will display Install or Installed as another indicator of the Options status.

Option enable codes are entered in a popup window after Install is selected for each option NOT installed.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf